TEMPEST IRIDIUM FINE WIRE SPARK PLUG.

Shawn26

53 minutes ago, Yetti said:

It's a boxer design.   Another boxer designed engine by BMW on their motorcycles probably uses lots of their WWII airplane technology.   A generation change happened in say early 2000 with the 1100 to 1200 engine.

...love boxers.  We have 3 4 Subaru's in the family.  I have been driving the same 2004 Subaru WRX STI since it was new.

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

...love boxers.  We have 3 4 Subaru's in the family.  I have been driving the same 2004 Subaru WRX STI since it was new.

34 Subarus? That is quite the fleet of cars.

We only have 2.  I have to work on my Suabru collection.

• Like 2

My shitty slick mags can hot start better with fine wires.  I started with the bottom 4 and liked them so much I bought the top 4.  They’re not invincible, but they are discernibly better and longer lasting than champions massives. 

On 8/3/2019 at 9:15 PM, kortopates said:

I actually starting sending mine to the Spark Plug lady, "Aircraft Spark Plug Service" 818-599-6139 at annual time. She cleans them, checks gap and checks internal resistance although the Tempest plugs don't have a resistance issue like the old champion design with removable resistor, they should still be tested. She returns them with new copper gasket. I learned about her from Mike B who also uses her and recommended her. One less thing I need to do during annual. But I have the special champion gapping tool and wouldn't touch an electrode without it - as Byron said above they are way to fragile to risk breaking the electrode.  

I hope she is not blasting them, because that ruins the iridium coating. Then the plugs wear.  Surprisingly, not everyone has heard about that.

6 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I hope she is not blasting them, because that ruins the iridium coating. Then the plugs wear.  Surprisingly, not everyone has heard about that.

Agreed, but I believe walnut shells are safe to use on the fine wires. 

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 3:31 PM, Shawn26 said:

Hello folks. 

I'm debating to purchase a TEMPEST IRIDIUM FINE WIRE SPARK PLUG UREM38S to install on a 1983 Mooney M20J. I heard lots of good things but my mechanic said its just waist of money. My folks that i know they had them installed they are very happy with the performance and the fact you'll be able to do LOP better with them. I do not have a Gami Injectors. 

Please share your thoughts and your experience if you had them. Thank you  

You inspired me...a short look on the internet and I found a set for $610 no tax free ship. Beauty...Spruce and the rest want almost $90 plus tax and plus freight.

22 hours ago, carusoam said:

Sandman,

Do your pistons require anything special for the plugs, for either heat or dimensions?

IIRC... 10:1 pistons being used.

Best regards,

-a-

I can't say absolutely whether I should go a little colder, but when I got it back from the overhaul shop, it had the same type massive plugs UREM38. I may call Firewall Forward to pose the question. Not going to change em out until oil change interval in 10 more flight hours. But thanks for the good food for thought. Think I looked and Tempest doesn't offer heat range 36's in fine wire, but I could be wrong.

• Like 1