E model cockpit question

We’re shopping for our first Mooney and had targeted either an F or J model, but there sure are a lot of nice E’s for sale. Regarding cockpit room, are the E’s the same as the F’s and J’s from the front seats forward. In other words if I fit in an F will I fit the same in an E, with the only difference the lack of back seat leg room? I hope this question makes sense. I’m 6’3” so the left seat will be pretty far aft. Thanks! 

Yes, I really like the E’s and their performance. Seems like a lot of bang for the buck. Like a lot of us, we’re trying to figure out how often we’ll actually use the rear seats. I suspect not as often as we think. 

• Like 1

The rear seat in an E is far from unusable. @Bob_Belville has possibly the nicest E in the country and has pictures of four adults in his. I'm not a small guy and I've sat in the back of a C a few times. 

The leg room in the back seat of an E is largely dependent on the height of the person in the front seat. 

So as long as you're not regularly putting large children or adults in your back seats, an E is a fine choice. And on those occasions when you want to take another couple along and fly to lunch, it will work just fine. And I figure they won't be complaining as they're riding for free.

I am just under 6’ and have a friend that is same.  He fit behind me no problem last week when three of us flew.  If someone has a long inseam there might be limitations, but when I slide into position with a 32” in seam there is plenty of room in the back seat of my E model.

The E is such a great plane... it is the primary choice for many retirees...

Fuel injection, 200hp, room for four, great LOP efficiency...

Perfect for long X-countries for two...

PP thoughts only, not a sales guy...

Inviting @Bob_Belville to join this discussion... Bob’s traveling this week...

Best regards,

-a-

I'm only 5'10", but I've got to be pretty far forward to be comfortable with the pedals in our E. And, with that positioning, there's plenty of room in back for adults who aren't claustrophobic. I know you're taller, but I think you'd still be okay.

I'm only 5'10", but I've got to be pretty far forward to be comfortable with the pedals in our E. And, with that positioning, there's plenty of room in back for adults who aren't claustrophobic. I know you're taller, but I think you'd still be okay.

LOVE my M20E.   

to be honest unless the front seat passengers are extremely tall there's plenty of room in the back.  

the front seats have a massive amount of travel, I can't reach the pedals with them full rear.

I will say you have to watch the E,  somehow she convinces you to spend all kinds of money getting and keeping her dressed for the party.

seriously, it's been like pimp my airplane lately

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I'm 6'1" and with the seat all the back I can't reach the rudder pedals, with seat forward there is still room for most in the back seat

Ditto.  6'1" and very comfortable up front.    

...and I've been in the back seat of mine a few times when I'm along for a ride with my partner and one of his teens in the front seats.   It takes a minute for me to curl in and out of the back seat, but it's fine once I'm seated.

37 minutes ago, McMooney said:

I will say you have to watch the E,  somehow she convinces you to spend all kinds of money getting and keeping her dressed for the party.

seriously, it's been like pimp my airplane lately

Agreed.   Mine's getting paint next month....

I am 6'2" tall. No problem with the leg room. The back seat is really (super) cramped. Pretty much just for carrying all your stuff. The Super 21 is current from the standpoint of speed and fuel consumption. Pretty amazing. Don't shy away from earlier models with the manual J bar. I love that KISS principle landing gear. Same goes the manual flaps. All in all I a really happy with the old girl. The one thing you must put in is a magneto booster. It has completely changed the airplane for me. Hope this helps. 

I’m 6’. My wife and I fly with our 16yo 6’ son in the back regularly, and space is not an issue, for any of us.

We love our E. I can confirm the ‘fast off the runway’ comments. Great combination of airframe and power plant. Highly recommended! :)

• Like 1

I have a 66C and I'm 6'4".  When I get in, which is easy now, but originally difficult until you get your routine down.  I move the seat to the first position and I am very comfortable.  90% of the time it's just me and my wife.  When we have others in the back, I have moved my seat one extra position forward, it's not that uncomfortable but I wouldn't fly cross country that way, but for an hour or two, it's a piece of cake.  Love E's but couldn't pass up on my C.

Thanks again for all the great info. We got a ride this morning in a friends E model and absolutely LOVED it! My wife sat in the back seat and was very comfortable. I even got a landing from the right seat and it went pretty well. Our kids are (mostly) grown, so realistically, it will be just the two of us. We think the E might be the right airplane for us. 

• Like 4

My name has appeared a couple of times above... I am a fan of the E model. I’ve owned 2 for almost 20 years combined.

My grandson and I are finishing up a 7000 nm tour of the country and I have even more respect for the E’s take off performance. We’ve made several take offs in the last week or so with DA approaching 10,000’, at gross, and clawed our way to 11’500 while in mountain down drafts and bumps. What a great machine. Today we departed Grand Canyon KGCN with 64 gallons and our camping gear from KOSH. Non stop to KPWA in Oklahoma City. 5.7 hours.

I am surprised to hear you’re seeing a lot of Es on the market... normally the Es are far scarcer than Cs or Js and similar to Fs. All great planes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3