New TAF service for Minden-Tahoe Airport (KMEV)

On 8/1/2019 at 2:27 PM, scottd said:

Effective Tuesday, October 22, 2019, at 1800Z, the NWS office in Reno, NV, will begin Terminal Aerodrome Forecast (TAF) service for Minden-Tahoe Airport (KMEV) in Minden, NV.

What are the requirements to begin TAF reporting?

1 hour ago, scottd said:

Usually commercial service or EMS requirements.  And I'm sure there are some politics in all of this...but you didn't hear me say that! :rolleyes:

So no equipment or anything just a choice?  Interesting topic  that I never really thought about so curious more than anything as how it is determined who gets a TAF and who doesn’t. 

1 hour ago, M20F said:

So no equipment or anything just a choice?  Interesting topic  that I never really thought about so curious more than anything as how it is determined who gets a TAF and who doesn’t. 

There needs to be some kind of weather reporting equipment on the field.  I don't know of any U.S. airport with a TAF that doesn't have some kind of weather reporting (although it doesn't have to be full time weather reporting) on the field.