CaptRJM

BK Radio Repair Recommendations

Recommended Posts

My trusty KX165 has suddenly started acting up.  It will not receive VOR or Localizer and Glide slope is consistently reading low.  We know it is certainly the radio as I swapped in a known good one and it works fine .... so, the problem is certainly the radio, not the installation.

Any recommendations who to send it to for fairly priced service?

Yes, I know I should look at a replacement but not in the budget right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

I would try Avionics Place in KRFD. They are very good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CaptRJM said:

My trusty KX165 has suddenly started acting up.  It will not receive VOR or Localizer and Glide slope is consistently reading low.  We know it is certainly the radio as I swapped in a known good one and it works fine .... so, the problem is certainly the radio, not the installation.

Any recommendations who to send it to for fairly priced service?

Yes, I know I should look at a replacement but not in the budget right now.

Not that the above is the case, but I understood that 155's and 165's displays could no longer be repaired for lack of parts. Can one of the shops listed here repair them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vorlon1 said:

Not that the above is the case, but I understood that 155's and 165's displays could no longer be repaired for lack of parts. Can one of the shops listed here repair them?

Bad displays are replaced, not repaired.  The OEM gas discharge display is no longer available.  However, BK does sell an upgraded led display.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be sitting down when you call. It’s pretty pricey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About $3,000 for Honeywell to refurbish your KX165 including installation of a new display and alignment to as-new specifications.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bevan Rabell! I'm packing up some legacy BK avionics to send their way as we speak.

Also, for the folks discussing displays... different symptoms are caused by different things:
Display suddenly goes out entirely = likely high voltage module failure (
Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to everyone. Sent it off to Bevan. Waiting to hear back from them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 4:44 PM, CaptRJM said:

Thanks to everyone. Sent it off to Bevan. Waiting to hear back from them. 

 

You chose wisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.