CGR 30c/p vs JPI 930

I put in a cgr30c, I love it compared to stock, my only complaint is flipping between pages to see everything. But I was limited on budget and it got me what I needed. Most everything I use is first page anyway. I was budgeting for avionics shop install when I was deciding between Cgr30 and Jpi 930, but ended up doing an owner assisted install which was actually easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an EDM 900 waiting to go into my plane as soon as it is done with the interior work. If you already have the EDM 930, move forward and install it. If you are preparing to buy a monitor, does space or cost enter into your equation? I consider the EDM 930 the Cadillac of monitors with all of the space it has for showing you what is happening in your engine. What model Mooney do you have? That fact might also drive choice with consideration of the space the 930 takes.

People like and use both the EI and JPI monitors as you can see from the response above mine. The best thing is to get one installed and learn how to use it. Whatever the price you pay for it, the amount it can save you in the long term is significant.

The engine monitor you want in your M20F is the EDM900. The 930 just takes up extra panel real estate. To get the same full Primary replacement of all engine gauges, you'd have to install two EI instruments, the CGR30P and CGR30C. But the EDM900 puts all that in a single Primary gauge.

While it's true that EI has wonderful customer support, JPI is still acceptable. And I'd rather only have to buy, install, and maintain one instrument to replace ALL factory engine instruments rather than two.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies. I meant JPI 900 :). Coast is almost identical for 900 vs dual 930s. It’s just interesting how two shops totally against one or the other. I’m getting old and really like bigger display. Still deciding which one to put.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my 900. A 930 would be nice, but I didn't have space for it, nor did I want to pay the premium for the bigger screen.

I like it well enough that whenever I upgrade to a G3X or Dynon I will very likely retain the 900 instead of going with an integrated EIS kit. If I still had OEM gauges, though, adding EIS to the upgrade PFD/MFD would be very tempting.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

This year I finally bought an engine monitir but I got the 830. I prefer the 900 but there’s physically no space on my airplane on the left side to put it without re-cutting the panel. Then it goes from a $2000 job to over 4 so there was that. 

Plenty of real estate for a 930, just depends on how much other stuff you want to keep.  Large size is real nice.  Data download is useful at times for troubleshooting.  Leaning features are real nice.  Overall, I’m very satisfied with previous owners purchase!

900 gives about the same info and would definitely be fine as well.  Can’t go wrong with either.

And yes, there’s not much fuel left in that picture.  12 gallons, burning 8.3/hr, 9 miles from destination.  11 gallons of fuel on one side to use for pattern/landing.  I’m relatively comfortable with that.  Anyone else not, Id like to know if I’m not being smart.  Fuel Remaining estimate from the fuel flow was showing 13.  Both are conservative when I top it off - they both show slightly less than actually in the tanks.

37E31DB6-4DDE-4745-BDDF-A8665AA731F9.jpeg

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Ragsf15e said:

Plenty of real estate for a 930, just depends on how much other stuff you want to keep.  Large size is real nice.  Data download is useful at times for troubleshooting.  Leaning features are real nice.  Overall, I’m very satisfied with previous owners purchase!

900 gives about the same info and would definitely be fine as well.  Can’t go wrong with either.

And yes, there’s not much fuel left in that picture.  12 gallons, burning 8.3/hr, 9 miles from destination.  11 gallons of fuel on one side to use for pattern/landing.  I’m relatively comfortable with that.  Anyone else not, Id like to know if I’m not being smart.  Fuel Remaining estimate from the fuel flow was showing 13.  Both are conservative when I top it off - they both show slightly less than actually in the tanks.

37E31DB6-4DDE-4745-BDDF-A8665AA731F9.jpeg

The 930 on the right side is basically like A 900 right in front of you. It’s larger, but further away. And more expensive. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

The 930 on the right side is basically like A 900 right in front of you. It’s larger, but further away. And more expensive. 

Yep, fair enough. I’m guessing if I did it, I’d be more cost conscious than the PO and would have the 900.  However, Either I’m use to it there or I like it there.  I really like just having my 6 pack in front of me and nothing else.  In the G1000 airplane I fly at work, the PFD is directly in front and has all the 6 pack info.  Engine instruments are on the mfd to the right.  Maybe it’s just me, but it’s what I’m use to.

Long winded way of saying that you’re not going to go wrong with a quality engine monitor.  Get rid of the oem engine gages.  Be happy.

I went the  difficult and painful route . I started out with the Insight G3  Graphic Engine Monitor then added CGR30C and Added Cies fuel senders , and recently added CGR30P. using the existing Insight  G3  CHT/EGT probes, and  fuel flow transducer. I was lazy and didn't want to  pull out my existing   my  CHT/EGT probes and Transducers and plus Insight doesn't have way real way adding lat long position altitude  to flight data being recorded. There is  way  with Insight  but it would have been more expensive and more panel space need.  The main reason  that I upgraded was  the old eyes were struggling a little bit reading the 2/14"  display it was  still readable. With the G3 can be a PITA having remove those  PG /SEL caps  on the G3 to remove the instrument.

As gsxrpilot and others have pointed out in the  two 3.125"  instruments configuration is  taking  more  panel space besides the  two interments  holes you have to make room for   additional  USB port (to retrieve data each CGR 30 unit has it separate USB port) and two sets of annunicators (one for CGR30C and one for CGR30P so 4 light in total). But the  CGR30 setup isn't bad it is easy to read  and great customer support. Sure be nice to make Engine monitor  data collection was wireless access point !!!!  Then  you could consolidate displays  not be limited to 2.25" or 3.125" hole or rectangular display shapes.

I don't know much about JPI. .

I guess  the  EI V JPI  dissuasion    sort of a  mac vs pc argument  to a degree each side has advantages and everyone seems to have an opinion.

just my take.

James '67C

27 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

CGR30P and CGR30C here. Both on the left side of my radio panel without doing any panel mods. Very happy with them. 

Pics, please, for those of us not committed to either install yet!

N.O.

There are three manufacturers of engine monitors that have been used by MSers over the years...

1) First decide if you are going to use it for primary indication...

2) Then decide on panel location...

3) There are a few of the large format screens mounted on the co-pilot side...

4) Somebody mentioned the RAD, that delivers data to The pilot side...

5) Find the three manufacturers... look up their products on their sites...

6) Big discounts are in effect for a short period after KOSH.... time is running out already...

7) JPI 900 is most popular around here for primary...

8) Many 800 series being used, but not primary...

9) EI has great products and even better service... but know what is primary and what is not...

10) See Don Kaye’s panel... he is a proponent of the EI MVP...

11) A good engine monitor will be incredibly helpful the first day you have an engine question... people have learned to post their data for discussion...

12) plugs, fuel injectors, and changes in rpm seem to be the causes for many inquiries... all are much easier to cure with data...

Your mechanic experience isn’t anything to worry much about... there are many opinions about what is best for the pilot... this one can only be decided by you... your mechanics and avionics people can help you with the decision... you still have to decide...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1