Parts Traceability

Shadrach

Parts Traceability   

8 members have voted

1. 1. To install or not to install...that is the question. This is a question for all, but I'm especially interested in the opinions of our A&P/IA/AME brethren.  If a part is clearly marked with OEM manufacturer's name and part# or MS# but otherwise has no history or paper work to determine if it's used, new old stock (NOS), working when removed etc.  Are you willing to verify airworthiness, ops check and sign off?

• Yes, while there are exceptions, I feel comfortable using used and NOS parts that can be verified in good working order.
    • No, without paperwork and a detailed history the part is a paper weight regardless of condition

Yes, while there are exceptions, I feel comfortable using used and NOS parts that can be verified in good working order.

As an owner my answer was based on the "While there are exception", depending on the part and the risks involved should it fail. A used control surface with no damage or corrosion - No Problem
Things that wear or wear out - a little iffy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PT20J said:

Oh boy, Ross. I can hear the whir of the can opener and see the worms emerging:P

Since there are no rules requiring parts paperwork, it comes down to the comfort level of the person signing the logbook.

https://www.avm-mag.com/the-parts-traceability-puzzle/

Skip

Absolutely. What's interesting is that I did an informal poll of A&P/IAs that I know via text message.  Their answers were remarkably close. 6 out of 8 were in agreement (one of which is now with the FAA).  I want to see how folks feel across the country.

Edited by Shadrach

I'd be interested in what your informal poll revealed. For me, it's not quite as black and white as a 2 answer poll. Am I going to install a used vacuum pump or alternator I bought off Ebay or craigslist, go run the engine, find out it works and go fly IFR. No. But as an earlier example of a used control surface that I can perform a simple inspection, sure. Used avionics with no idea of their history...I dont know. Guess it depends on how great a deal I could get. A few hundred bucks difference between a unit I can get from a reputable avionics shop or one with no tag or history, I'd get the one from the reputable shop. 

Really does depend on the comfort level of the installer. This is the GA world. It's a lot different from my experience in a 121 airline world. 

• Like 1

Also I guess I still don't understand aircraft parts with no tag and no traceability. Chances are any used aircraft part was removed and replaced by some A&P somewhere. If it was serviceable as removed, why not take 30 seconds and put a tag on it? I have some used engine instruments I just removed when installing a EDM900, I'm fine putting a tag on it stating it was serviceable as removed on xx/xx/xx date from Nxxxxx and sign my name to it. 

6 minutes ago, JimB said:

I'd be interested in what your informal poll revealed. For me, it's not quite as black and white as a 2 answer poll. Am I going to install a used vacuum pump or alternator I bought off Ebay or craigslist, go run the engine, find out it works and go fly IFR. No. But as an earlier example of a used control surface that I can perform a simple inspection, sure. Used avionics with no idea of their history...I dont know. Guess it depends on how great a deal I could get. A few hundred bucks difference between a unit I can get from a reputable avionics shop or one with no tag or history, I'd get the one from the reputable shop. 

Really does depend on the comfort level of the installer. This is the GA world. It's a lot different from my experience in a 121 airline world. 

What about an SOS box or Klixon switch? a boost pump or an attitude indicator? I get that it really boils down to comfort.

my text poll had to do with a NOS Klixon switch. 7 out of 9 said test, install, ops check and log. The 2 that said no aren’t currently turning GA wrenches.

3 minutes ago, EricJ said:

There are zero upsides to an A&P putting a tag on a used part and lots of downsides.   

I guess you're right. :) Guess I am still stuck in the airline world where without a tag, the part is worthless...or you send it out to get recertified.

Now that I know my removed gauges are worth the same no matter what i guess I'll offer them up with no tag. 

Like I said, work with your mechanic. A few examples:

My KAP 150 wouldn’t work in HDG or NAV modes. After measuring a few voltages, I was pretty sure that the Aspen ACU failed. Bought a used one on eBay with no documentation for $200 less than Aspen charges for O/H exchange. Worked fine and IA signed logbook entry.

Bought a new in the box Tempest vacuum pump on eBay for a good price.

Bought a used prop governor on eBay. Because this is a critical component, I had a shop overhaul and yellow tag it.

Skip

28 minutes ago, EricJ said:

There are zero upsides to an A&P putting a tag on a used part and lots of downsides.   

And thinking about this, aren't the downsides for the A&P/IA that's installing the same part potentially more significant? 

45 minutes ago, JimB said:

I guess you're right. :) Guess I am still stuck in the airline world where without a tag, the part is worthless...or you send it out to get recertified.

Now that I know my removed gauges are worth the same no matter what i guess I'll offer them up with no tag. 

Actually, in the 121 world, you can swap parts between aircraft in the fleet with no papers. They’re considers serviceable unless deemed otherwise. 

• Like 1