engine stumbling after starting with fuel selector off

NicoN

I use the High boost pump method for starting our TSI360-GB. It works perfect and the engine never quit or stumbled after a cold start.

This  works perfectly, with the fuel selector in left or right  position.

A few weeks ago, I decided to leave the fuel slector in OFF-position overnight.

The next day, with the same method, the engine starts after 2 half turns, and after few seconds stumbles for a moment. With a little throttle I can avoid dying, then everything is fine.

My first supect was water in the fuel strainer, but it also  happens with carefully draining both wings and the fuel strainer.

And - of course - I already forgot to bring the fuel selector out of the OFF-position. Then the engine quits definetely after 3-4 seconds !!!!

Is there any explanation for this behaviour? I want just avoid overseeing something.

Its always the same: L or R position - no stumbling; OFF - stumbling after I night in the hangar or somewhere else.

If there is a small air leak in the fuel valve or gascolator, the fuel pump might suck an air bubble into the line when the valve is OFF. Even without a leak, the pump on high might pull enough vacuum to do it. 

Skip

How much vacuum is required to boil 100LL into vapor bubbles...?

The engine’s fuel pump is strong enough to collapse/ beer can the wing surface...

Experience from having a blocked air vent in the O’s tank...

The engine will have difficulty metering the fuel as it starts to pull against an increasing vacuum...

PP assumptions only, not much knowledge to go with that...

Best regards,

-a-