Push to talk switch

larrynimmo

2 hours ago, larrynimmo said:

My pilots push to talk switch has become intermittent...can it be cleaned? Best place to get replacement?

My computer is broke.    Oh really can you be a bit more descriptive about "broke"

I have heard it said pictures tell a thousand words.

How do you know it is the switch and not a loose ground?

Does the copilot PTT work?

Maybe it is the ground to the audio panel.  What kind of audio panel do you have.

42 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Digikey has the exact replacement. The part number is in the parts manual.

Before you go to all that trouble, spray some contact cleaner down the button shaft and push it a zillion times and see if it gets better.

Contact cleaner has been known to cause cancer in rats in Baltimore

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Yetti said:

My computer is broke.    Oh really can you be a bit more descriptive about "broke"

I have heard it said pictures tell a thousand words.

How do you know it is the switch and not a loose ground?

Does the copilot PTT work?

Maybe it is the ground to the audio panel.  What kind of audio panel do you have.

First off...Copilot PTT works perfectly.  Audio panel is original King, intercom is David Clark.

when you operate the co-pilot side, there is a solid TX on Garmin GTN-650.  When you operate from the pilot side, the TX is intermittent.

Well then let's go with switch or wiring to the switch.   a $2 contact cleaner can from wallyworld might fix it and won't hurt anything.  Sometimes people can wire in a PTT from the headset so that might be the wiring.  Also take a quick look at the wires coming out of the back of the yoke and make sure someone did not get a foot into them.

When mine went intermittent and subsequently failed, it was from the wire being pulled off the terminal and had nothing to do with the switch.  Not saying that is your problem, but I had the same symptoms, so something to check.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Austintatious said:

Is anyone elses PTT as sharp as a needle?  I am about to 3d print a cap to make it less painful to transmit.

:) when the little cap falls off on some of the switches it is a pain, had a Cessna like that, didn't take long to get a replacement installed

13 minutes ago, Austintatious said:

Is anyone elses PTT as sharp as a needle?  I am about to 3d print a cap to make it less painfull to transmit.

It's designed that way to keep your transmissions brief and to the point.

If it's the itty bitty one you can buy another one and transfer the cap.   Not as fun as 3d printing.

• Haha 1

update....replaced switch with no joy....traced out wiring and found wire had fractured just above a solder point where the wire was soldered to the phone jack...and there was a second wire on the phone jack that was down to a single strand and it broke off when I touched it....

• 4 years later...
On 8/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, N201MKTurbo said:

I believe it should be the momentary version: MPA106F, not the "push on/push off" version.  Correct?