Strobe CB switch wiring

PTK

My left wingtip strobe stopped working out of the blue. The nav light works and it’s not the fixture. I took it out and tested it. 

Does anyone know if the strobe lite switch is wired to each wingtip strobe individually, i.e. two wires from the switch, one to each strobe? Or are they wired in series? i.e. one wire from the switch to one stribe and then from that to the other strobe? I can’t tell from the wiring diagram because it shows three wires coming out of one side of the strobe cb switch and a fourth on other side. 

I’m trying to narrow it down before I start tracing wires or crawl under the panel! Thanks in advance.

Here’s a pic of wiring diagram:

F5F38988-75D0-4FBE-9A45-3B4CEFF87B35.png

It’s a separate wire to each strobe light, but it may be one wire down to where the pilots left knee is and then splits off there but they’re not wired in series. 
Check and see if you have 12V to the strobe power wire. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

It’s a separate wire to each strobe light, but it may be one wire down to where the pilots left knee is and then splits off there but they’re not wired in series. 
Check and see if you have 12V to the strobe power wire. 

Thank you Byron. The strobe fixture works I took it out and tested it. I didn’t have a tester with me to check power to wire. I suspect I don’t have 12V to the red strobe power wire. I will check to see if it somehow became disconnected from under the panel.  

• Like 1

Did you test the high voltage power supply?

AFAIK, the power supply gets its 12V from a red shielded wire. The shield is grounded and the whole case is grounded to your airframe.

The yellow wire is for syncing left and right strobe. So, without the yellow wire both sides should fire but not in sync. The tail strobe does not have the yellow wire.

You can also test on the high voltage side. Between red and black should be ~350+ V.

Be careful with tests!!!! The high voltage stays for 20' after switching off in case your strobe did not fire.

Did you test your power supply with a known good strobe?

• Like 1

Mooney wiring diagrams are really accurate in my experience. Unless someone’s messed with it, you’ll find things connected just as shown. One side of the strobe breaker switch goes to the bus. The switched side has three wires. One goes to the left wing, one to the right, and one to the tail. 

Skip

• Thanks 1