RECENT GARMIN QUOTE:

DAVIDWH

Submitted only for those wealthy enough to pay a Divorce Attorney:       (All prices are installed prices)

Garmin  G3X 10.6 touch                                           $15,500

Garmin G5 Backup                                                    $3,800

Garmin GFC 500 Autopilot,  With roll pitch trim,  $15,900

Yaw Dampner                                                             $3,200

Panel Work                                                                  $1,900

Shop Supplies                                                              $450

When JD Rockefeller  was entertaining a party on his grandiose yacht in New York harbor, one of his acquaintances politely ask

J D what a yacht like this costs. J D politely responded, "If you have to ask , you can't afford it".

That being said, I had to ask....

Best,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, 001.

Best regards,

-a-

Thanks very much!

I'm awaiting completion of the annual inspection on a J model that I am buying, so thought it was time to jump in and say hi.  I have been lurking for a while, absorbing lots of Mooney knowledge from this site.

On 7/30/2019 at 8:38 AM, DAVIDWH said:

When JD Rockefeller  was entertaining a party on his grandiose yacht in New York harbor, one of his acquaintances politely ask

J D what a yacht like this costs. J D politely responded, "If you have to ask , you can't afford it"..

When asked how much was enough money he said “just a little bit more then I have already”. 

You should just be happy that you actually were able to get a quote from an Avionics Shop. I’ve approached six (6) different shops requesting quotes and have received exactly one (1). This started back in February!

The one shop that has provided a quote is probably going to win my business by default. I guess nobody else is interested.

Nobody else has the time to waist on turning quotes out. That’s a full time job by itself. 

Pick a company that is close and you can work with. I find it good to change shops every once in awhile. I just had a great experience with Jeff at High Desert Avionics. No quote was requested.

-Matt

Understand the frustration in getting quotes. The first two avionics shops I contacted never once returned a phone call.

That being said, maybe it just takes three attempts,  or to use the astronauts creed, "Work the Problem".

Panel cut this week and hopefully install finished by end of month.

Wife is beginning to have some suspicions, not sure how long my cover story of, "No worries mate, just changing a radio honey, will hold up.

Best,

6 hours ago, BKlott said:

You should just be happy that you actually were able to get a quote from an Avionics Shop. I’ve approached six (6) different shops requesting quotes and have received exactly one (1). This started back in February!

The one shop that has provided a quote is probably going to win my business by default. I guess nobody else is interested.

They all have so much work with ADSB right now they can’t take more business.  I know the guy I used well.  Cash for the radios in JAN and they sat till July before my slot in line to get in. 

Come Q2 of 2020 they are all going to be looking because everyone will be done with ADSB and all the other stuff they added into that because they could.  A big bubble right now but it will burst and create some opportunities next year for folks looking to upgrade.   

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MB65E said:

Nobody else has the time to waist on turning quotes out. That’s a full time job by itself. 

Pick a company that is close and you can work with. I find it good to change shops every once in awhile. I just had a great experience with Jeff at High Desert Avionics. No quote was requested.

-Matt

On February 28th I flew my plane to the nearest Avionics Shop and met with the shop manager. I had prepared a typed outline of exactly what I wanted done. He spent a good 15 to 20 minutes with me going down the list, making suggestions and taking notes. He promised a quote by “ the middle of next week”. I am still waiting for his quote.

I did attempt to follow-up with him a couple of weeks later. I was told that he would contact me “by the end of the day”. Still waiting for that contact too.

The next closest shop didn’t even respond to my request.

My previous avionics shop changed hands after the Technician passed away and has received unfavorable reviews since then.

The Shop we used before that one got out of the business (actually told an FAA Inspector to take the license off the wall and get out of his shop) due to the frustrations of dealing with the FAA. Hard to imagine that! That one was THE BEST avionics shop of all.

Consequently I’ve had to expand my geographic area to shops within a hour or two flight time just to get the one quote I’ve received. Certainly not an ideal situation and terrible for any servicing issues down the road but what else do you do? I’ve got legacy gear that is becoming unreliable and needs to be upgraded. I would think a new GTN, new Audio Panel and new Indicator would be a decent sale and install job for a shop. Maybe not. Maybe they can’t be bothered with such nuisance work like this.

I’ve also been considering trading my plane in for a used Cirrus or Columbia/Corvalis, putting an end to the endless cycle of trying to modernize and upgrade my current ship by purchasing one that is already there.

Edited by BKlott

1 hour ago, BKlott said:

I’ve also been considering trading my plane in for a used Cirrus or Columbia/Corvalis, putting an end to the endless cycle of trying to modernize and upgrade my current ship by purchasing one that is already there.

They all are all modern/current till they aren’t, the world moves.  When the Avidyne 9 upgrade came out, it was wait in line if you had a Cirrus  

If you are a radio shop today you have so much work due to ADSB that you don’t know what to do with it.   The other shoe will drop at some point but the good shops will continue to have more work then they need. 

Been this way as long as I have been doing it.  

On 8/3/2019 at 4:36 AM, M20F said:

They all have so much work with ADSB right now they can’t take more business.  I know the guy I used well.  Cash for the radios in JAN and they sat till July before my slot in line to get in. 

Come Q2 of 2020 they are all going to be looking because everyone will be done with ADSB and all the other stuff they added into that because they could.  A big bubble right now but it will burst and create some opportunities next year for folks looking to upgrade.   

The funny thing is they figured everyone would just want ADS-B and it didn't happen. All the shops I"ve talked to have said they've not really done any pure ADS-B. Everyone of their customers is taking the opportunity to add a 650, G5, new transponder etc. That is what got them backed up. They're all 100-200 hour jobs rather than just simple ADS-B.

-Robert

1 hour ago, RobertGary1 said:

The funny thing is they figured everyone would just want ADS-B and it didn't happen. All the shops I"ve talked to have said they've not really done any pure ADS-B. Everyone of their customers is taking the opportunity to add a 650, G5, new transponder etc. That is what got them backed up. They're all 100-200 hour jobs rather than just simple ADS-B.

-Robert

Guilty as charged 

• Like 1

I have been thinking about looking into a GFC 500 AP...  What I am wondering about it what the KFC 150 parts would be worth... The control portion of mine has recently been overhauled.  Everything works well...  I would think that the servos are worth something too.  And the Ki 256 FD.  If we could get 3-4k for those parts on the second hand market then it would be a nice offset to the cost of the GFC 500 + G5.