Time for Annual -- what speed mod first

49 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

What are you talking about

the F and J model mooneys have larger fuel capacities with essentially the same wing,  couldn't I modify that to use as a pattern for modification to my E.

I think the F and J are something like 64 gals.  Given I can't just use the Monroy stc but the faa does allow me to have modifications made to a plane I own.

so if I say design a new fuel tank based off the design of an F or J model, buy the sealant and associated hardware, then have an AP/IA install and signoff as safe, should I be good?

Edited by McMooney

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

What’s the flap hole cover?  Are you talking flap hinge covers? They cost a lot of money. And the acclaim type S doesn’t have them, so at the suggestion of @bluehighwayflyer I left them off. No speed change.

long range tanks from Monroy appear to be a dead end. The owner isn’t making kits

Maybe he's talking about the flap gap seals from Lasar?

https://lasar.com/mods

I agree with what has been said about the 201 windshield mod giving the most notable speed increase... but the cost of the mod and the labor involved (50 hours?!) took it right out of the “bang for the buck” category for us.   We gained about 4 knots from installing the ARI cowl mod; others have not found it to give as much of an increase.  YMMV.  The price per knot is far lower for that mod than the windshield mod.  Of course, you can get the LoPresti cowl mod or a 201 cowl, but they’re a lot more expensive.  They sure look nice.

From what I’ve read, the LASAR cowl mod doesn’t really add any speed increase but does help with cooling.   

LOVE the wingtip mod but do they add any speed?

14 hours ago, Aviationinfo said:

I agree with what has been said about the 201 windshield mod giving the most notable speed increase... but the cost of the mod and the labor involved (50 hours?!) took it right out of the “bang for the buck” category for us.   We gained about 4 knots from installing the ARI cowl mod; others have not found it to give as much of an increase.  YMMV.  The price per knot is far lower for that mod than the windshield mod.  Of course, you can get the LoPresti cowl mod or a 201 cowl, but they’re a lot more expensive.  They sure look nice.

From what I’ve read, the LASAR cowl mod doesn’t really add any speed increase but does help with cooling.   

LOVE the wingtip mod but do they add any speed?

Totally forgot about the ARI cowling, think i'll look into that.  my understanding the guy is here in Houston?

MidContinent is a great company,  I called tech support asking if there was any calibration possible for a CDI I had purchased.

stated it didn't center and was off to the right a bit.

before I could finish the sentence the MidContinent Rep had ordered a replacement sent to my house.

Did I Ever say how much I hate annual time,  GRR can't fly my plane.  

What do you guys think about getting together and petitioning the FAA to change it to a biannual?????? 

• Like 1

I like the bi annual idea... every other year...

Until something gets found at the annual event... like some corrosion or worn item... wish I had caught them sooner...

Really depends on how many hours you fly each year... and if your plane lives outside...

Best regards,

-a-

If you can turbonormalize, no better bang period.  I wouldn't do long range tanks until you need to reseal.  I've done long legs with my 90 gallon tanks but its unusual and a long time to sit.  Cowl closure is bang for the buck.  4 to 5 knots for less than 1 amu.  Oil cooler relocation is a couple of knots.  Tail root fairing a couple of knots.  Elevator and aileron hinges a couple of knots.

1 hour ago, 65eTurbo said:

If you can turbonormalize, no better bang period.  I wouldn't do long range tanks until you need to reseal.  I've done long legs with my 90 gallon tanks but its unusual and a long time to sit.  Cowl closure is bang for the buck.  4 to 5 knots for less than 1 amu.  Oil cooler relocation is a couple of knots.  Tail root fairing a couple of knots.  Elevator and aileron hinges a couple of knots.

I WOULD LOVE to do this, my understanding it's no longer possible.  something about stcs and such

TN STC for M20s is tied up with the Florida organization that went awol...

How about 10:1 high compression pistons for a power driven speed mod?

MS has a user of this product...

Something that comes to mind for the discussion...

Best regards,

-a-

22 minutes ago, carusoam said:

TN STC for M20s is tied up with the Florida organization that went awol...

How about 10:1 high compression pistons for a power driven speed mod?

MS has a user of this product...

Something that comes to mind for the discussion...

Best regards,

-a-

M20 turbos maybe, but old Rajay kitsch don't have sn or Tail numbers on stc.  If a kit can be found, you can install in accordance with stc.

I don't have much data, but multiple stories of high compression mod engines blowing off the jugs.

It's worth pointing out that Mods are a very expensive way to gain speed.  Much cheaper to save and buy a faster plane.

Real data on actual Mooneys is critical to have...

We have THE rayjay guy around here...

Mooneys have a few cases of broken cylinder parts, without modifications... cylinder cracks and head separations.

See how much hp can be generated on cold winter days with a negative DA.

So... put that in your PIC responsibility basket...   similar to operating a TC’d engine without much automation....

The financial discussion won’t make much sense...

Once you have a plane, few people want to swap airframes unless there is a really compelling reason...

MS has Ken... the outlier... who swaps planes at an unusually high rate, with great success too.

Adding mods is a nice way to stay with your hard proven airframe...

Going from an M20C to an M20R... 30amu to 200amu...?  Financially doesn’t make much sense either... there are lots of mods available for the 170amu difference...

Where on the fence do you sit?

1) Speed...

2) Efficiency...

3) Safety...

What altitudes do you want to operate in?

4) Turbos 

5) O2 systems

6) Training

How Long are your flights? (Monroy accessories)

7) Pee tubes

8) Extended range tanks

Other things that make flying a touch better, add...

9) Airbag seat belts...

10) WAAS technology, modern engine monitor, traffic and weather...

Kind of a top 10 list of the moment...

PP thoughts only...

best regards,

-a-

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 11:05 PM, carusoam said:

Real data on actual Mooneys is critical to have...

We have THE rayjay guy around here...

Mooneys have a few cases of broken cylinder parts, without modifications... cylinder cracks and head separations.

See how much hp can be generated on cold winter days with a negative DA.

So... put that in your PIC responsibility basket...   similar to operating a TC’d engine without much automation....

The financial discussion won’t make much sense...

Once you have a plane, few people want to swap airframes unless there is a really compelling reason...

MS has Ken... the outlier... who swaps planes at an unusually high rate, with great success too.

Adding mods is a nice way to stay with your hard proven airframe...

Going from an M20C to an M20R... 30amu to 200amu...?  Financially doesn’t make much sense either... there are lots of mods available for the 170amu difference...

Where on the fence do you sit?

1) Speed...

2) Efficiency...

3) Safety...

What altitudes do you want to operate in?

4) Turbos 

5) O2 systems

6) Training

How Long are your flights? (Monroy accessories)

7) Pee tubes

8) Extended range tanks

Other things that make flying a touch better, add...

9) Airbag seat belts...

10) WAAS technology, modern engine monitor, traffic and weather...

Kind of a top 10 list of the moment...

PP thoughts only...

best regards,

-a-

Agree, love my airframe really don't want to repeat the purchase process.

that being said,

I really want to be a speed guy, but the big red fuel flow trumps the ASI every time 8)

Would really love a rayjay, I currently operate from 7 to 14000ft.  Like altitude to top airspace and ignore most traffic.

going to have to figure out how to rig up an o2 filling system,  always running low on oxygen.

Are Pee tubes really a thing, I always thought you guys were joking?

oh yeah, Mr. Monroy said 3 or 4 months for more extended range kits.  hope this isn't a trutrak 3 or 4 months.

WAAS was an OMG moment, still trying to wean myself off airways and fly ->.

adsb weather and traffic helps so much. It's scary seeing dozens of airplanes on ADSB but not being able to see any visually.

Edited by McMooney