Time for Annual -- what speed mod first

i'm bummed it's that time of year again, 1 whole week without my birdy.

I'm thinking of adding a lasar speed mod or two this annual,  other than the 201windshield( i'll never hurt my girl in this way)

what is the best bang for the buck?

I'm thinking this is the best order

1. cowl enclosure

2. flap hole cover, don't actually know the name of this one but there are large spaces for the flaps to move which have to be causing lots of drag

3. gap seals

4.  long range tanks

Lasar no longer makes the landing light cover for my plane, is it legal for me to fabricate one ?

one other thing, my pc system is starting to go, seems there are times when the plane really wants to turn left.  

Is there Anyone that still works on the system?

one other other thing,  what brand of tires are you guys using?  my nose wheel tire is on it's last leg. 

Edited by McMooney

A well rigged Mooney will fly in a straight line.... with the ball centered... and fuel and people balanced for the center line...

When the fuel burns off... the light side starts to push the plane towards the other side....

There is a trim adjustment knob attached to the PC system...it’s a valve... connected to hoses...

Find the valve, adjust it... if it can’t hold the heavy side up...

Start looking for leaks...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

The best speed mod out there is the ability to skip a fuel stop.

The 201 windshield is the best ROI mod as it gives a couple of knots AND improves (modernizes) the look of the plane as well.

Cowl mod is good for a couple of knots as well... 

• Thanks 1

My plane came with the 201 mod on windscreen- I love how she looks with it. I also have one piece belly, not sure if that one is still available. I love my speed brakes. Also an expensive mod that I was lucky enough to not pay for, not a speed addition but certainly helps prevention of shock cooling. I might consider a top prop as a mod- should gain some speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, BigD said:

My plane came with the 201 mod on windscreen- I love how she looks with it. I also have one piece belly, not sure if that one is still available. I love my speed brakes. Also an expensive mod that I was lucky enough to not pay for, not a speed addition but certainly helps prevention of shock cooling. I might consider a top prop as a mod- should gain some speed.

I already have the Top Prop. 

My maintenance would absolutely LOVE the one piece belly, all I hear from them is "screws", omg screws and more screws.

how fast is your plane on avg?  I'm only seeing about 145kts, well that is with it pulled back just a bit. 

some smart guy put the fuel flow meter right next to the airspeed,  some reason fuel flow ALWAYS wins.

Edited by McMooney
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I already have the Top Prop. 
My maintenance would absolutely LOVE the one piece belly, all I hear from them is "screws", omg screws and more screws.
how fast is your plane on avg?  I'm only seeing about 145kts, well that is with it pulled back just a bit. 
some smart guy put the fuel flow meter right next to the airspeed,  some reason fuel flow ALWAYS wins.

I only see 139 tas. I believe that’s due to my three blade prop out front. So 145 sounds good to me!

Extend range tanks are the best speed mod you can make if you are flying longer legs 4 hours or more especially in IMC conditions.  If the majority of your flights are less than 4 hours or you need a rest stop about that time more fuel will not be much of a benefit.  I've stretched the legs on my F with 54 gallon bladders at 5 hours of engine running and still had an hour of fuel when I landed but I was landing in VMC.

The windshield is supposed to give you the best speed mod other than a new cowling both of which are very involved.  Just remember if you add up all the speed gains from all the speed mods you will see high sub sonic airspeeds.

21 hours ago, McMooney said:

I'm thinking of adding a lasar speed mod or two this annual,  other than the 201windshield( i'll never hurt my girl in this way)

1. cowl enclosure

2. flap hole cover, don't actually know the name of this one but there are large spaces for the flaps to move which have to be causing lots of drag

3. gap seals

4.  long range tanks

Lasar no longer makes the landing light cover for my plane, is it legal for me to fabricate one ?

one other thing, my pc system is starting to go, seems there are times when the plane really wants to turn left.  

one other other thing,  what brand of tires are you guys using?  my nose wheel tire is on it's last leg. 

From what I know, that PC problem is a worn gyro in the turn Coordinator.  I had one rebuilt a few months ago by the shop reccommended by the lady at Britain.  I think the name is Pierce & Strait in Tulsa.  Maxwell put it in at annual and I ended up needing the plane for a trip before they ended up finishing it.  I expect to take it back to them in a week or two to complete this and a few other things.  I will let you know how it works out.  If you were to find a loaner turn Coordinator you could remove the Britain and send it to Pierce and Strait.

Hope this helps.

7 hours ago, DustinNwind said:

Here are a few photos of my M20E with a few mods. Like others have said, the windshield is the best mod, next and just for ascetics; I love the wingtips. I'm also a stickler for new windows all around. 

Edited_DSC08121.jpg.9d7766810c2e10e8008ce75ef2453c69.jpgEdited_DSC08128.jpg.0f6b0dc6d77a99f1f17f8891538ed430.jpgEdited_DSC08126.jpg.0c9d66f9158eb513c9f16a947df2244e.jpg

hey where'd you get the wingtips and about how much?

what avg speeds are you getting ?.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:32 PM, McMooney said:

1. cowl enclosure

3. gap seals

4.  long range tanks

So after talking to maintenance, i've revised my list.

1.  Surefly ignition -- this annual

2.  Fixed Step removal -- this annual

3.  Landing Light Lens -- this annual ( at my request and drawing maintenance is making one for me )

4. Cowl Closure -- after  i fly to lasar and pick it up on my flycation

5. flap hole cover, don't actually know the name of this one but there are large spaces for the flaps to move which have to be causing lots of drag

6. gap seals

7.  long range tanks  -- hopefully in the far future, not till the tanks leak

2 hours ago, McMooney said:

5. flap hole cover, don't actually know the name of this one but there are large spaces for the flaps to move which have to be causing lots of drag

7. Long range tanks

What’s the flap hole cover?  Are you talking flap hinge covers? They cost a lot of money. And the acclaim type S doesn’t have them, so at the suggestion of @bluehighwayflyer I left them off. No speed change.

long range tanks from Monroy appear to be a dead end. The owner isn’t making kits

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 8:26 PM, McMooney said:

hey where'd you get the wingtips and about how much?

what avg speeds are you getting ?.

LASAR is where I got mine back in 2012 and they weren't cheap - $4300 installed and then add another $1K for the Whelen Orion LED lights about a year later.  I didn't need to do that mod, but I liked the look better than the chopped ends.

I was also in the 156-158 KTAS at altitude - usually 6-8K was my sweet spot. 

http://67m20e.com/mooney-m20e.html 

Cheers,

Brian

8 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

What’s the flap hole cover?  Are you talking flap hinge covers? They cost a lot of money. And the acclaim type S doesn’t have them, so at the suggestion of @bluehighwayflyer I left them off. No speed change. 

long range tanks from Monroy appear to be a dead end. The owner isn’t making kits

I'm not sure what's they are called but at the very most inboard position on my flaps, where the flaps meet the body, there are large holes that look to be there to allow the flap hinge  movement.  could be flap hinge covers?

hmm, I need those tanks guess I might have to get them sooner rather than later.   eventually my plane is making a hop across the pond, I need the range.

14 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Last I saw Monroy wasn’t Selling tank mod kits. He had a stroke.  But instead of selling the tank mod STC it withers away. 

well, that's not good.  Is this something I could make as an owner produced part?  The f and J have larger tanks, could just copy those installs?

9 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Not really. You cant use STC data as approved data for a mod because thats considered IP of the owner of the STC .  so, basically, that monroy tank mod is dead.

what about the original design for the mooney wings?  ex F & J models