Fuel leak after shutdown.

Often, MS people use 1,000 rpm for shut-down... Works well for the following start-up...

Vernier controls give a couple of options in this respect...

When shutting down using the mixture pull... observe the tach at the same time, looking for an RPM rise.

No RPM rise is a different setting challenge....

Did you get an engine monitor with the new craft?

Expect that there is going to be some interesting detail that will fall out of that after an eight year hiatus...

Try your skills at downloading engine data from it.  The sooner the better, before you need it.

Best regards,

-a-

Lasar is the source for OH’d nose gear parts...  see what you need, check with Dan at Lasar...

Going to their website can be helpful too...

I think DMax wrote an article on nose gear wear... the article is named the eight second ride... a reference to bull riding...

They are on the west coast... and an MSC.

DMax is in TX.

Best regards,

-a-

The first year of plane ownership culminates in a graduation ceremony... its called the first annual inspection...

Some first annuals are a non-event...

Others are the first time the new owner has had the plane inspected...

If you performed a pre-purchase inspection at an MSC... there probably aren’t any surprises coming...

If you did the basic open a few panels, take it for a flight, check the compressions on the cylinders... like I did for my first plane...

You might get really lucky...

My M20C didn’t have an engine monitor either... didn’t have a hint that it was going to have a stuck valve within 10 hours...  didn’t know that was a stuck valve while getting on the ground either...

+1 on getting an engine monitor... new or used... JPI or other... primary instrument or just for monitoring...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

12 hours ago, Newowner said:

I have that plane for a week only and it’s already a pain. Really hope I’ll work those bugs out.

There will always be issues, even with open checkbook mx...the only way to ease the pain is to meditate or get out of ownership.....

I have owned for 5 years now....wish I did it sooner and I hope to do it a long time further,,,bugs and all.......

On 7/29/2019 at 7:27 PM, Newowner said:

Also tach seems  shows way to high on rpm. On TO it was reading almost 2800. 

Check the tach. Unless someone has messed with the low pitch stops, the prop shouldn’t be able to turn that fast at takeoff airspeed. 

First annual and first year of ownership can be full of unpleasant (and expensive) surprises, in my experience. Remember, the previous owner probably was thinking about selling long before they did — and likely deferring maintenance all the while.

Skip

On 7/29/2019 at 7:14 PM, takair said:

It is somewhat normal to drip a little fuel from the sniffle valve that Anthony mentioned.  It is a metal valve in the bottom of the engine case, routed to the bottom of the cowl with a rubber line and then exits through a metal line.  It is generally excess fuel from the injectors (assuming you are fuel injected). Alternately, you may be dripping fuel from the fuel pump line....this would not be normal.  Figure out which line, likely the sniffle line.

Well, maybe....  

But, I’ve never seen gas drip from the sniffle unless I over prime it. If you shut down with the mixture control, you’ve cleared out the injector lines. So, where would the gas be coming from?

I once found gas dripping on my nose wheel. Turned out to be a loose B nut on the fuel pump end of the fuel line to the servo. After that, I checked the torque on all the fittings and torque sealed them.

Skip

On 7/29/2019 at 9:51 PM, carusoam said:

Hey new owner...

How long do you intend to be a new Owner?

You can always change your screen name... but, then people will have a hard time recognizing or remembering you...

While you are not so busy... look up in the search function... ‘sniffle valve’

Learn How that works and why...

You just may have found an ordinary part of your IO360...

Or you have a different challenge altogether...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

On 7/29/2019 at 9:51 PM, carusoam said:

Hey new owner...

How long do you intend to be a new Owner?

You can always change your screen name... but, then people will have a hard time recognizing or remembering you...

While you are not so busy... look up in the search function... ‘sniffle valve’

Learn How that works and why...

You just may have found an ordinary part of your IO360...

Or you have a different challenge altogether...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Hi,

we bought  a 78 M20J with lots of buggggs too. Working through them though. Discouraging however. 

17 hours ago, Newowner said:

I wish I have a engine monitor. That’s on my to do list. Also mechanic today found that nose wheel have a play forward and back. He sad it needs bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, Newowner said:

I wish I have a engine monitor. That’s on my to do list. Also mechanic today found that nose wheel have a play forward and back. He sad it needs bushing.

We will probably get an EDM900. Found a bent steering horn.looks like it was that way for a long time. Mechanic said it looked like it can be fixed. Put new placards on aircraft.

Have no fear...

First year of ownership of a 40+ year old machine is going to come with a few bugs...

Unless you paid a giant premium for it... to have it bug free.

Some really nice Js are selling for 2X what the lower end Js are trading for.  There are many reasons for that... not just paint and interior...

Just have to decide if you are in the CB camp or the premium camp... :)

If you keep the plane for a decade... you start replacing a few things a second time...

If you decide not to replace things a second time... you sell it to a guy... who notices the first year comes with a few worn parts...

Welcome to machine ownership... the initial purchase is just the starting point.

In the end... people find that it is worth it...

The first plane experience is probably the least fun... there is a giant learning curve that goes with it...

The second plane usually comes along much smoother than the first...

Best regards,

-a-

On the other hand, may be I should just fly in as is. Original plan to get lead expensive and efficient commuter plane. All I really need is one radio and ADSB transponder. I have only one mission for it.... 100nm each way commute in VFR only :).