Oshkosh Summary - what did you learn?

What did those attending Oshkosh learn?

So far:

-New oil from Phillips

-New GPS/Com from Garmin GNC 355

-Tarragon did not officially show but I saw it parked next to Van’s/Sonex

-P-82 twin mustang flew (With MT props and hubs, thus now P-51’s have new hubs that can be manufactured by MT)

Please add to this list.  

-Seth

• Like 1

Learned that spray-on sunscreen is convenient, but doesn’t work unless you rub it in. 

leave your alarm clock at home. You won’t need it.
a 20$ tent fan and a six pack of D batteries is the best money ever spent. 

spend good money on a tent, or buy two and hang your bedding  outside for three days. 

if you want Rosen visors, a JPI, a G430W or GTN750,  or something else, buy it. Don’t wait 7 years for the price to come down or a new competitor to show up and offer a better product or start a price war. They don’t.  Everything we bought is the same price it was in 2010. We just didn’t get to enjoy it for the 9 years.

Tanis engine pre-heaters are a good deal in the summer, when it’s 90 degrees out. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 9

7 hours ago, jetdriven said:

if you want Rosen visors, a JPI, a G430W or GTN750,  or something else, buy it. Don’t wait 7 years for the price to come down or a new competitor to show up and offer a better product or start a price war. They don’t.  Everything we bought is the same price it was in 2010. We just didn’t get to enjoy it for the 9 years.

This is great, and highly accurate.  Reminds me of the first minute of this video:

• Haha 1

Learned how to read a Skew T chart from a poster here.  At least read it a little bit.  Learned that Lightspeeds are worth every dime.  Also learned that you can get good deals buying stuff at the show, the Lightspeeds cost me a couple hundred dollars less, for example.  

• Like 3

Totally agree. I put in the 2nd aspen in a Mooney (founder pete lyons was the first) and enjoyed Glass for 10 years prior to selling my F. A lot of people are just now getting a round tuit for not a lot less than my out the door price if any was. (in order to get the medallion, avionics shop gave me the product at cost and charged me for his labor). I did this later also with a Lynx NGT9000 in a different plane. Had ADSB bennies and active traffic and wifi to IPad for 4 years at once again, about what the out the door costs today. Today, there are many many great choices to upgrade, replace 30 year old tech, modernize a plane, etc. It is a personal decision, but dont let "it will be a lot cheaper later" govern your decision making. It very well might not be.

• Like 3

Forgot that EPIC said they are on track for an October 2019 first certified delivery.  That's amazing.  They've been saying this year for years, but I actually think it'll be delivered either late 2019 or early 2020.  They may have gotten me yet again with their "should be" delivery dates, but they have some FAA approval already, so it's tracking for October.  Who knows.

-Seth

Forgot that EPIC said they are on track for an October 2019 first certified delivery.  That's amazing.  They've been saying this year for years, but I actually think it'll be delivered either late 2019 or early 2020.  They may have gotten me yet again with their "should be" delivery dates, but they have some FAA approval already, so it's tracking for October.  Who knows.
-Seth

It looks like a beautiful traveling airplane... drool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fiends that work at Epic and I saw recently that they got TIA, which is a big deal. It allows FAA personnel to now fly tests to substantiate previously submitted reports... They're getting close to a TC. I do not know their status re: PC which is also needed to deliver at any kind of rate.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Here is my opening line "Honey, you deserve the best...."

We all think that about our planes . . . . But she only gets what I can afford after making a jewelry contribution to my wife . . . . .

22 hours ago, 201er said:

Learned to be more vigilant and stand your ground when taxiing in soft grass in Mooney. 

Oh no, tell me you didn't!

I was an ear witness to a large Cessna prop strike in the goo at SnF while inspecting the ground around my plane, planning to leave that day. It was ugly . . . Turned around and saw the pilot's face (they had landed and were taxiing in, nose wheel sunk in, more power compressed the strut . . .  :(), so I stayed another night.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:37 PM, Hank said:

Oh no, tell me you didn't!

I was an ear witness to a large Cessna prop strike in the goo at SnF while inspecting the ground around my plane, planning to leave that day. It was ugly . . . Turned around and saw the pilot's face (they had landed and were taxiing in, nose wheel sunk in, more power compressed the strut . . .  :(), so I stayed another night.

SMART MOVE (staying the extra night).

-Seth

Edited by Seth