Airtex Interior Install and Cost

Mark M20B

Very nice interior and video. Thanks for taking the time. Is that the standard Airtex vinyl type seat covers? Did you also look at the pricing on the leather option? Either way, they look great. 

Jim

I went with the standard vinyl.  If I had a more expensive Mooney I would have considered leather.  I actually wanted cloth but my wife talked me into vinyl. Testing it out in the hot hangar, I like it more than I though I would.

3 hours ago, Mark M20B said:

I went with the standard vinyl.  If I had a more expensive Mooney I would have considered leather.  I actually wanted cloth but my wife talked me into vinyl. Testing it out in the hot hangar, I like it more than I though I would.

Completely understand. Just wondering how much more the leather would be. From the video the quality looked great. 

• 1 month later...

After completing the install and flying with the new seats, I ended up trimming down the seat foam.  I like that the seats are a little higher but they are too high for me.  My A&P also thought they were too high after flying the plane.  I trimmed about a half inch and went for a test flight and think a little more still needs to be removed.  I like that the seats are higher but they are still too high.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, revwatch said:

Do you notice a difference in noise levels with the new sound proofing?

I think it is a little quieter but there is not that much of a change.  I noticed a huge difference while working on the plane on the ground.  The difference is not as noticeable while flying though.  I think a lot of noise comes through the windows.  

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'd like to know if anybody has experience with using Airtex on the the articulating J model seats.  In the front these seats have a solid pan and the upholstery on the seat cushion is held on with U shaped plastic clips.  No glue or hog rings.  The seat back is probably glued on the back before the trim - haven't had that off.

Airtex carpets. Custom fit from a template I sent them. I really love the SCS wool carpets, but at 1AMU, tad rich for this Cheap Bast$#d. I can change out 3 sets of Airtex carpets for what I would pay for an SCS set.

c3e03897a9fa642ee3983cc869c81d56.jpg88db6518c637b17c83d7d33bee92e6ae.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Two years ago, my Airtex carpet did not quite fit.  Over a weekend I emailed about what to do and Dodd Stretch the owner phoned me from his home on Saturday afternoon.  "Just mark it or cut it as you want, return and we will rebind the edges."  He also said he has more Mooney carpet patterns than any other plane. No two are a like is just a slight exaggeration.  

My 1975 C carpets are shaped a lot different from yours.  Back when it was almost new, I did an Airtex carpet in a 1965 C.  I seemed to remember a piece of carpet to enclose the nose wheel well.  Could those extra pieces be related to that?

P1010645.thumb.JPG.4b5091d7638b0bac04b82e1547db82b7.JPG

4 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

We have owned our M20C for almost 40 years.  I’m starting the process of putting our fourth Airtex interior in it in that period of time.  The carpet set arrived today.  Can anyone tell me what the two extra pieces are that I have placed on top of the baggage compartment floor?  I have no idea.   

Really nice video, by the way, @Mark M20B.  Thanks for posting it.  

Jim

035754BD-231D-45CE-818E-C3A056DD6DB9.jpeg

The 2 extra pieces cover the nose wheel well or at least that’s what AirTex told me when I did mine 5 years ago

20 year old memory…

But I got the T- shaped carpet with my airtex….

I believe it had something to do with electric vs manual gear…

I had the J-bar… so the T was put in the way back….  As in it made a nice method of keeping birds out of the tail…

Easy to put in place…

Soft enough it wouldn’t impede Flight in the event of a memory challenge…

It worked really well for several years… :)

Of course… you can always call airtex and ask.  They were really good at carrying the family tradition…

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Thanks, guys. It makes me wonder if it is for a fixed gear M20D.  The larger piece looks like it would fit just about perfectly for that if there was no nose wheel well.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the M20D was equipped with the nose wheel well.

I’m certainly open to being enlightened on this.  :D

The nose wheel well had to be there for the ease of upgrade to full M20C status that was touted….

My 65C got the carpet to go all over the wheel well cover….

It had tiny little boots to allow the flight control rods to pass through…

Install challenge…. The control rods needed disconnecting/reconnecting…

It was a project that needed more than the talent that I had at the time… I got to know some great mechanics at the time this way….  :)

Best regards,

-a-