New AD on Trig Transponders AD 2019-13-03

8 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

It doesn’t apply if in a conventional aft facing radio rack, which I assume is every Mooney.

Tom

It "applies" to everyone with a Trig transponder, in that you'll need to show one time compliance entry in your AD list that you at least found the AD non-applicable due to installation (standard AFT facing)

The following details of the SB may help others

Hardware

01/10/2018          version 1.0

This Hardware Service Bulletin applies to TT31 transponders approved under ETSO authorisation EASA.21O.643 Rev B and EASA.21O.906 Rev A, part number 00220-00-(XX) and part number 00225-00-(XX) which are:

• Serial number from 05767 to 09715;
  • Modification Level 6 or below;
  • Installed in an orientation which is NOT a conventional aft-facing avionics stack mounting.

I was unaware there was such a high threshold for the equipment.

"While testing a new model of transponder, it was detected that the retaining cam was not meeting the approved design criteria for crash safety shock in the aft direction (20g sustained)." (emphasis added)

I guess if the transponder is located in a downward-facing position, it might have such a force on vertical impact (26g seats in a Cirrus?), but in a non-vertical 20g impact, it would seem as there would be several other things which might not survive. Like maybe me?

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Thanks for posting this.   Mine is aft-facing and earlier than the affected S/N range, but good to know and will do the compliance statement.

Looks like those affected have 90 days from issuance, which is August 27th, 2019.  My annual is due before then anyways, so it works out ok

• Like 1

it always bothered me that this transponder had a retaining  cam made of nylon (it bends easily if you over torque it)

I wonder how many installs are not Aft facing - maybe in an old plane with a navigator -