Altitude Compensator

FoxMike

I had my altitude compensator get out of calibration between the altitudes of 7K to 16K.  In my case the flow was lower than standard by 3000'.  I took it out and sent it to C&L Aero in Redding.  They checked it out and recalibrated it.  Since it is hard to tell the calibration is slipping  having an oximeter on board and in use  is a really good practice.  You might consider using an in line flow meter to make sure your system is calibrated properly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I fly with high with an O2 saturation meter all of the time.  I have a history of severe pneumonia and scarring as a result.  I find that I must push more volume of O2 than the "standard" to get my O2 saturation to safe levels and I have to wear a mask starting at 17K feet.  

• Like 1

+1 for the pulse-ox AND knowing your personal O2 requirements. I titrate to 93% or higher, usually that means I'm on oxygen above 5k, and just this weekend my pulse-ox caught an O2 system malfunction (I had left the main valve on my portable O2 bottle was closed).  

• Like 1