Search for 28V Voltage Regulator 800270-501

Hello

I am searching for a 28V Voltage Regulator to replace the original one installed on my Mooney M20J MSE of 1993. The Mooney  part-number is 800270-501. Thanks in advance for your help an sharing of experience. When calling Mooney they gave a crazy quote of 1800$.

Philip

0A51246F-2574-4A95-9F36-505558FFDA8C.jpeg

7632AF5F-3C3B-487A-AF55-067DD4882A77.jpeg

DBC920A9-553E-40E2-9459-07F378846AD9.jpeg

14 minutes ago, pwnel said:

Some very trivial and easy-to-obtain components inside there.  Glad folks are simply overhauling them.  

Yea, I looked at that and thought that I could build one of those in my basement pretty easily. Digging out a basement would be the more difficult part.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pwnel said:

Some very trivial and easy-to-obtain components inside there.  Glad folks are simply overhauling them.  

1 hour ago, Steve W said:

Yea, I looked at that and thought that I could build one of those in my basement pretty easily. Digging out a basement would be the more difficult part.

Great, now I know a couple guys I could send my 28V regulator to when mine goes TU! :)

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Can we not use an off the shelf Plane Power or Zeftronics voltage regulator?

I have an intermittent alternator issue. A&P now recommending replacing both alternator and voltage regulator

I read the other threads and you have previously answered my question.  I apologize

Edited by amillet

• 5 months later...

Reviving this thread with a couple of questions for @kortopates and anyone else with experience in this. I have two of the Mooney 800270-501 28v voltage regulators in my 252. My JPI typically indicates about 28.9V with either or both alternators on at 2000 RPM. When I put a meter on the cigarette lighter I get 29.2V. 

For my serial number, the aircraft may have either Electrodelta or Mooney VRs. The Service and Maintenance Manual says that for aircraft with Electrodelta VRs they should be field adjusted to 28.6 - 28.8V while the Mooney regulators should be putting out 28.3 +.2/-0 but “No field adjustment authorized” 

So the Electrodelta VR should be putting out a minimum of 28.6V but the Mooney VR has a maximum of 28.5V? 

So I am running a little high. My questions are:

1) Why the difference in output voltage for two different manufacturers VRs that would both be running the same 28V equipment and charging the same 28V battery? 
2) Should I be concerned about a level of 28.9 - 29.2V?
2) Can the Mooney VRs actually be field adjusted? I see a couple of tiny adjustment screws in the photo posted by the OP. 

I am reluctant to mess with stuff that is working well, but I also don’t want to be overcharging my battery.

7CCAFEE4-D1CC-498C-B802-85FFD5075894.jpeg

You probably want to know what your battery likes...

Then charge it to the highest voltage it likes...

Since batteries aren’t very linear,
charging them to the tippity top,

will add a few minutes of extra time when both of your alternators croak....

If it ain’t broke...   :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

20 hours ago, squeaky.stow said:

Reviving this thread with a couple of questions for @kortopates and anyone else with experience in this. I have two of the Mooney 800270-501 28v voltage regulators in my 252. My JPI typically indicates about 28.9V with either or both alternators on at 2000 RPM. When I put a meter on the cigarette lighter I get 29.2V. 

For my serial number, the aircraft may have either Electrodelta or Mooney VRs. The Service and Maintenance Manual says that for aircraft with Electrodelta VRs they should be field adjusted to 28.6 - 28.8V while the Mooney regulators should be putting out 28.3 +.2/-0 but “No field adjustment authorized” 

So the Electrodelta VR should be putting out a minimum of 28.6V but the Mooney VR has a maximum of 28.5V? 

So I am running a little high. My questions are:

1) Why the difference in output voltage for two different manufacturers VRs that would both be running the same 28V equipment and charging the same 28V battery? 
2) Should I be concerned about a level of 28.9 - 29.2V?
2) Can the Mooney VRs actually be field adjusted? I see a couple of tiny adjustment screws in the photo posted by the OP. 

I am reluctant to mess with stuff that is working well, but I also don’t want to be overcharging my battery.

7CCAFEE4-D1CC-498C-B802-85FFD5075894.jpeg

A bus voltage of 29.2V is cooking the battery, decreasing its longevity.  From a battery standpoint, even the Mooney VR hitting 28.5 is high, we would really prefer to see 28.0V for the battery's sake. That would be the reason to address it, given you have the Mooney VR's. But first I would check the voltage on each VR individually. They probably won't be the same but what they are individually will determine your next step.

If I was was going to send in one, I would very much consider sending in the second one so that that the pair would be calibrated to bottom of the range at 28.3V. But it comes back to what their individual voltages are.

If checking each VR individually means turning one alternator off and then the other, I get 29.2 for both of them. Or do I need to unplug the VRs one at a time? Batteries are not cheap so I don’t want to cook it. I will pull them both at annual and send them out for recalibration. Too bad that can’t be done in-house like the Electrodelta VRs.

Any idea what Consolac will charge for that?

If you have spare time...

the battery manual for your specific battery may have some additional guidance that may be interesting...

The ground battery chargers also include some interesting details as well...

Concorde and BatteryMinder... (not sure about the others)

Best regards,

-a-

On 8/28/2020 at 3:01 PM, squeaky.stow said:

If checking each VR individually means turning one alternator off and then the other, I get 29.2 for both of them. Or do I need to unplug the VRs one at a time? Batteries are not cheap so I don’t want to cook it. I will pull them both at annual and send them out for recalibration. Too bad that can’t be done in-house like the Electrodelta VRs.

Any idea what Consolac will charge for that?

You really need to call them to ask about getting your units bench tested and calibrated. I recall $400 a few years ago for an overhaul, but it should be much less than that unless they do find issues. But it will be more than just a simple calibration since as a repair station, they are required to return in with a 8130-3 (yellow tag) to attest its meets the Mooney specs. It would be the equivalent service as if you bought the regulators off e-bay or salvage and waned to get them tested  and yellow tagged before installing them in your aircraft. So its more like an IRAN which hopefully will just be inspection and adjustment.

Since they both came out at the identical voltage, make sure you verify voltage accurately at the master bus - you could do that right by the master switch off the bus bar and also back by the battery. Be safe since the engine is running and you have to bring up the rpm to get full charging voltage.