Which STec for an F Model?

Well the Trutrak appears out of the picture for the foreseeable future as does the GFC500. 

I am under the impression that STecs are STC’d for the F.  Can anyone point toward which models and how to get pricing?

Thanks for any knowledge you can share or resources for learning more.

3 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Well the Trutrak appears out of the picture for the foreseeable future as does the GFC500. 

I am under the impression that STecs are STC’d for the F.  Can anyone point toward which models and how to get pricing?

I have a 67F with an STEC 60-2. @Marauder also has a similar set up with an stec 60-2.  As I reviewed the stc info from genesys, the 20/30/40/50/60/65 and 55x series are approved.  It’s a costly install.  Between 20-35k.  I would consider waiting 1-2 years for the stc from trutrak or garmin gfc 500.  It’s likely a cheaper cost and cheaper install with better technical capabilities.  I have the 60-2 autopilot, it’s solid, but I’d rather have a gfc500 if I was picking either from nothing. 

STC list

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/files/GenesysAerosystems_STC_List.pdf

Current Price list - equipment only... install 30-50hrs min

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/Genesys Autopilot ListPriceSheet 2019.pdf

Edited by MICKEY
Http

If you have to have an AP now, I was quoted 18k for a Stec 30 system installed in my E. Still waiting to see what shakes out with the gfc500 and trutrac. I messaged the Stec sales guy and told him if they dropped the price of the 3100 id be in. I think they're 10k too high for mass success.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

Why do you say trutrak is out of the picture? I spoke with them at their booth at OSH and he told me they were hoping to ship in october. I know they keep pushing this back but have you heard differently?

• Like 1

I read on here a few days ago that it would be end of year or so for the Mooney STC.  They have been saying things like this for so long that I have no faith whatsoever that it will come true. Actually it might turn out to be at the end of the year if you don’t specify exactly which year.

Sorry for the cynicism, but after hearing this sort of thing from them month after month, it gets old.

let me say though that I hope it is ready in October for everyone’s sake.

I have an S-TEC 50 that is on its last legs, waiting for the GFC500.  I really don’t see the reason to invest in fixing my 25yr old auto pilot as it progressively dies.  $1k here, $2k there and you are well on the way to a new state of the art digital autopilot that interfaces with all things Garmin. 

I have an S-TEC 50 that is on its last legs, waiting for the GFC500.  I really don’t see the reason to invest in fixing my 25yr old auto pilot as it progressively dies.  $1k here, $2k there and you are well on the way to a new state of the art digital autopilot that interfaces with all things Garmin. 

Me too, I’m hoping it lasts till at least mid 2020, ADSB installs should fall off by then.

Tom

44 minutes ago, M20F said:

I have one too, but mine has not given me any issues in the 14 years of ownership.  The only advantage to an upgrade would be coupling the vertical portion of approaches.  Otherwise, elegant sufficiency.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ned Gravel said:

I have one too, but mine has not given me any issues in the 14 years of ownership.  The only advantage to an upgrade would be coupling the vertical portion of approaches.  Otherwise, elegant sufficiency.

Mine has been in for 25yrs and the circuit board is going along with one of the servos.  I am not arguing to go out and replace what works, I will hold till the bitter end and the S-Tec is solid.  I certainly don’t advocate buying a new one or buying a used one (which will more than likely cost more than the GFC500 and probably fail sooner).

If you are in the market nothing I see will beat the GFC500.  It is worth waiting for. 

Edited by M20F

Good Morning,

For the M20F I would recommend the 55X autopilot.  The 55x is an IFR capable system designed to increase safety, reduce pilot workload, and is easy to use.  It is packed with the following functions: 

Case contained, radio stack mount

• Heading preselect and hold (Requires heading system with a heading bug)
• Altitude hold with optional automatic electric trim

• Numerous NAV modes (GPS, VOR, ILS, LOC)

• Intercept modes - HDG to NAV, NAV to APR & HDG to APR

• Precise Approach control for LPV, LNAV, VNAV, LOC, ILS, & VOR

• Vertical speed control

• Altitude preselect (Requires a baro corrected source)

• Much more.. 

For more info on the 55X please visit this link:

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/products/system-55x-autopilot

Do you already have an S-TEC dealer that you are working with?  If not you can find a dealer here:

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/dealer-locator 

The list price starts at $19,995 and you would need to talk to your dealer about installation time/price. 

We are also still taking Pre-STC PO's for the new S-TEC 3100 Digital autopilot system.  This program was put on hold until the owners that have submitted PO's are ready to proceede, but it is still on the radar.  We did have a lot of interest and talked to a lot of Mooney owners at OSH this week, and tried to clear up a lot of misinformation.  The 3100 is still a posibility for the Mooney series, and can be placed back on the schedule once people are ready to commit to the PO's.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information.  Thank you.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I have a friend currently getting an a GFC500 And two G5’s installed his 172 for like $14,000. And it’s a hell of an auto pilot. Worth the wait. 

$14K for two G5’s and a GFC500?  Where do I sign?:D

Id wait for the gfc500. My guess itll be around 9 months. Also recomend you create a group who will all want the gfc500. My guess is that there are around 20 to 30 people that want a 500. Have them all email garmin at once. That should move you guys up the list.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

I have the 30 in my F complements of a previous owner.  I'd look inot the 3100 it is the latest one.  Or you can hold out another year or 2 for one of the other new ones.

I think the gfc500 is going to be certified before the 3100.