Avionics Wiring Records Clean Up

My avionics wiring info has been collected over time on individual pieces or scraps of paper. Has anybody taken an effort to clean and consolidate their records?  I was looking for a neat way to do this preferably electronic if a template or program is available.  If not any suggestions on the best way or examples of a manual paper way?

I hear ya and understand the desire to clean it up.
Be cautious with the old wiring, sometimes it's better to let sleeping dogs lie. To much movement can cause internal wire breaks which can be intermittent and VERY difficult to diagnose.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am not doing anything with the wiring just wanting a good wiring diagram for my records by consolidating a number of scraps of paper containing  wiring hook up drawings.   I wonder how much time is wasted by avionics techs trying to figure out how things are wired together in the absence of good documentation?  

• Like 2

Yeah, we EE geeks draw complete wiring diagrams with Altium or OrCad or whatever.   Takes hours and hours but the end result is very useful.  

Once in a while an avionics shop will offer to do the detailed drawings but the customer usually doesn’t want to pay for the work. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Yeah, we EE geeks draw complete wiring diagrams with Altium or OrCad or whatever.   Takes hours and hours but the end result is very useful.  

Once in a while an avionics shop will offer to do the detailed drawings but the customer usually doesn’t want to pay for the work. 

It made the install much easier.

58 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Do CB's not use Eagle any more?   Dang, I'm getting old or something.

I asked my avionics installer for an "as built" drawing, and would even have accepted something hand-drawn.   They looked at me like I had three heads.   The installer said he'd give me his notes, since I asked him for them, but I never got them.   So I have a pretty much undocumented installation.    :(

And I agree with Yetti that Visio is usually fine for block diagrams that show how things interconnect and is easy to use.

• Like 1

I've done CAD drawings for a few people, and the few things I've added/change on my stuff I've created a wiring schematic before starting..... It does make it easier when you have to go back a few years later

• Like 1