KAP 150/ GDC31 and a New Alarm

So I just got N1157L back from some repairs and a full overhaul. Also installed ADSB transponder and had them install a GDC31 roll steering converter. Have flow a few times now, but this week, on our way to the beach, there was an alarm (constant) sounding off through the cabin speaker. Finally was able to turn it off when I pulled the autopilot breaker. While en route, I pushed the breaker back in and alarm continued. I was able to test the autopilot, and it went through it’s self-test with the normal 6 beeps, and worked great. Tracked heading/Nav/gps, etc... It even followed an RNAV approach and picked up the GS and everything. Alarm would still sound, even with the trim switch turned off. Called the shop, and they thought it sounded like something in the trim system, so will need to look at it again. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations. Happy to be back in the air! Appreciate the wealth of knowledge from this site. 

I have a KAP150...

Brief alarms occur when something turns it off... or disables it...

I am not familiar with a continuous alarm...

Do you have the manuals that come with the AP? Some pages are often found in the POH...

BK Sometimes has many user manuals on their website... some recent changes may have goofed this up...

So where’d you go for the OH?

Best regards,

-a-

I used Air Services, Inc in Carrollton, Ga. Sammy Baraznack (owner) was great to work with. I had knocked over a taxiway sign, so had to have part of a skin replaced. They were great to work with start to finish. The back story on my plane includes a purchase from the US Marshal’s service sans log books. It had sat for over a year as well. Despite the fact that she ran great, the guts of the engine looked like trash. Cam and all 6 cylinders were condemned and replaced. Turbo overhaul cost twice what he usually expects. But I now have a great flying, zero time engine. Just have to figure out the alarm and how it’s tied to the autopilot breaker. Wondering if the GDC31has some sort of alarm that is sounding off. Reading up on that now. 

Sounds like it was a blessing in disguise to have the insurance company’s help bring your bird back to tip top shape.  This is why I actually find it beneficial to look for recent damage history planes (especially prop strikes) fixed by a good shop.  Someone you know wouldn’t put trash back into the engine. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CharlesHuddleston said:

So I just got N1157L back from some repairs and a full overhaul. Also installed ADSB transponder and had them install a GDC31 roll steering converter. Have flow a few times now, but this week, on our way to the beach, there was an alarm (constant) sounding off through the cabin speaker. Finally was able to turn it off when I pulled the autopilot breaker. While en route, I pushed the breaker back in and alarm continued. I was able to test the autopilot, and it went through it’s self-test with the normal 6 beeps, and worked great. Tracked heading/Nav/gps, etc... It even followed an RNAV approach and picked up the GS and everything. Alarm would still sound, even with the trim switch turned off. Called the shop, and they thought it sounded like something in the trim system, so will need to look at it again. Wondered if anyone had any thoughts or recommendations. Happy to be back in the air! Appreciate the wealth of knowledge from this site. 

The constant alarm is a trim alert. The only source in the KFC150 is the autopilot disconnect/trim interrupt switch and associated circuit. That’s the red round switch on the yoke. That switch has two functions: pressing it once disconnects the ap. Pressing it and holding it down “interrupts” power to the pitch/trim servo for as long as its held pressed. The purpose is to immediately interrupt a runaway trim condition followed by pulling the breaker. Power will return when stop pressing it. Did you check to see if alarm stops when you pull the trim cb? I would check this and get it fixed asap. You don’t want to be in a runaway trim situation with that switch not working correctly. 

• 2 years later...
On 7/27/2019 at 11:31 AM, CharlesHuddleston said:

Despite the fact that she ran great, the guts of the engine looked like trash. Cam and all 6 cylinders were condemned and replaced. Turbo overhaul cost twice what he usually expects. But I now have a great flying, zero time engine. 

You have an engine that recently had a major overhaul. Only the manufacturer, Continental in this case, can "Zero-Time" and engine and give it a new logbook.