Actual cost of a TSIO 360-MB overhaul

xavierde

2 hours ago, CaptRJM said:

Wonder what the wet weight is on the EPS engine?  With all the accessories and coolant it can't be that light.

I just looked it up - so its a little heavier.  But with an MT prop then you are at even.  But then with the need for less fuel due to much greater efficiency (30-40% less fuel for same range I think I saw) then you save weight again.  AND I think you are faster since its rated 320 to 450hp.

From wiki:

The 4.3-liter, 350-horsepower engine will weigh 30 to 50 lb (14 to 23 kg) more than comparable Lycoming TIO-540-AE2A (595 lb (270 kg) dry, from $94,300) or Continental TSIO-550-E (498.4 lb (226.1 kg) dry, from $72,400) and it will cost 30 percent more, but with higher TBO and lower fuel burn it will have lower ...

11 hours ago, kortopates said:

Looks like it will be a great option for a Skyhawk. Wish them well, but they've been working on this for 25 years and been saying it'll be certified since 2011. Now that they got an infusion of cash a few years ago maybe it will finally happen. But I am skeptical we'll see a higher horsepower version suitable for a K in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heck, I don't think it's even available for experimentals, since all there efforts have been focused on getting approvals instead of manufacturing...

1 hour ago, xavierde said:

There is also this one https://www.continentalmotors.aero/diesel/engines/cd300.aspx 

EASA certified, FAA one pending

A much closer candidate for replacing a -MB or -SB. But one HUGE problem. It weighs 110 lbs more than my -SB - literally. 548lbs,

The fuel savings could make it a wash due to the  reduced cruise fuel consumption at 9.2 GPH. For example,  a 4 hr ROP flight at over 13 GPH vs 9.2 would burn up that extra 100 lbs in fuel. But we'd still have to fix the CG problem with that extra 100 lbs so far forward.

Although it starts out at 300 HP at sea level, at 18000 its down to just barely past 200 HP at 18K, so looks like flight level performance is gone.

Although turbocharged with dual turbo's , turbo charging a diesel is much more difficult with a 15:1 compression ratio, contrasted to 7.5:1 for the avgas turbo's.

Definitely plus's and minuses to consider. 

• Like 1