Dramatic Rise in Aeroshell Price !

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

the “plus” version of aero shell is slightly less than straight oil.  81% vs 97% rust coverage after 14 days.

That's my point exactly- that the additive increases the effectiveness of the oil in preventing rust.  And for only an extra $1.50 per oil change, I think that's a very good deal since I was running Philips 20W50 anyway.  

Your point previously was that it increased corrosion. 

Additionally, it is the only additive actually recommended by an engine manufacturer, and it is the only additive actually required for certain engine types by Airworthiness Directive (AD 80-04-03).  From the Lycoming Service Bulletin as it applies to those engines:

==============================

"Laboratory tests indicate that occasionally when the engine is first started, for a very brief interval there is insufficient residual oil between the rubbing parts which affects the service life of components. Lycoming has evaluated an agent which, when added to the normal oil supply, deters scuffing under these conditions.

The oil additive LW­16702, which Lycoming considered essential for good engine operation, can be purchased through Lycoming Engines and authorized Lycoming distributors."

==========================

With all of the concerns that many of us have about our camshafts and spalled lifters, doesn't it make sense to use an additive that is actually recommended by the engine manufacturer specifically to reduce camshaft/lifter scuffing?

And for only an additional $1.50 per oil change, why not?

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 5:52 PM, MIm20c said:

Well someone has to pay for the Wednesday night air show...

It was the first time I viewed the night air show up close.  Really cool.

I hope nothing bad ever happens during a night airshow (disorientation, fireworks exploding while attached to the airplane, etc).  

-Seth

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

not following your math

@RLCarter

One case of oil = 12 quarts = 2 oil changes.

XC20W50 is $55 per case.  The Victory 20W50 (with the Lycoming additive) is $58 per case.  

$3 difference per case divided by 2 oil changes = $1.50 difference per oil change.

(okay, I suppose you could argue that it takes slightly more than 6 qts, but I'm not going to quibble about 20 cents).

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Seth said:

It was the first time I viewed the night air show up close.  Really cool.

The lighting during the f22 and 3xp51 formation was amazing. Five absolute money shots missed with my gear sitting at home. Very impressed this year. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

(okay, I suppose you could argue that it takes slightly more than 6 qts, but I'm not going to quibble about 20 cents).

Got it..as long as you get it for the show price. :D

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Since it was new this year, it was only $58 per case so I got 3. I'm kind of worried how much they increase it next year.

Spruce shows it at $69.95 (12qt case)....I  use the XC 20W50 in the 172 and 100W Plus in the Mooney, might switch them both over to the Victory, would make it easier to stock one oil

27 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I could not find Victory on Spruce, just the XC version.

Tom

It looks like they only have the Victory 100W for right now.  The Victory 20W50 is very new- but I swear it exists and I brought 3 cases home from OSH with me!

• Like 1

That pic was with my iPhone.  Crap compared to a real camera but I liked that setup too.  Each day they did it differently.

P-51/F-22/F-35/A-10

P-51/F-22/F-35/P-51

3xP-51/F-22

Sorry for hijacking the thread.  Back to oil discussion.

How many of you will use this new oil in liew of regular Phillips 20w50XC plus vanguard?

Are they stopping Regular 20w50XC?

-Seth 

Edited by Seth

It looks like they only have the Victory 100W for right now.  The Victory 20W50 is very new- but I swear it exists and I brought 3 cases home from OSH with me!

Thanks, I now see the 100, I think I had searched for Victory 20W50.
Aeroshell botching of #6 grease formula makes me think the company is going downhill.

Tom
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Andy95W said:

They said they literally just released it at Oshkosh 2019

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Seth said:

Are they stopping Regular 20w50XC?

I don't think so.  

I emailed Phillips a couple of nights ago regarding the difference between Victory 100AW, Victory 20W50 and whether it replaces any product.  I received the following reply:

Victory 20W50 is not necessarily a replacement rather its another option that is a multi-grade engine oil that has the Lycoming anti-scuff already added in. The victory 100 AW will still be available for those who want the single grade SAE 50. The X/C Victory 20W50 will work great in the IO-360 and we look forward to keeping you as a customer. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

The reason I'm interested is I need a replacement to the defunct Exxon Elite.  Aeroshell W100 Plus is expensive on this side of the Pacific and Phillips has good reviews on MS.   

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Flyman2456 said:

So is anyone using the Phillip's Victory 100AW? Says it's a replacement for the Aeroshell 100 plus. A box of the Victory 100AW is $20 cheaper per case than the Aeroshell 

I am, it looks like oil, it feels like oil, it smells like oil. I dump it in the engine and the engine keeps running!

A lot of people think there is something mystical about engine oil, but in reality they knew 99% of what there is to know about engine oil in the 1920s. Most of the additives they put in these days were known then, but they choose additives that worked better, unfortunately some of the best additives are a bit toxic, so these days they have to use the second tier stuff because it is all they can get away with.

The bottom line is making a good engine oil is old technology and anybody that wants to make a high quality product, can. 

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I am, it looks like oil, it feels like oil, it smells like oil. I dump it in the engine and the engine keeps running!

A lot of people think there is something mystical about engine oil, but in reality they knew 99% of what there is to know about engine oil in the 1920s. Most of the additives they put in these days were known then, but they choose additives that worked better, unfortunately some of the best additives are a bit toxic, so these days they have to use the second tier stuff because it is all they can get away with.

The bottom line is making a good engine oil is old technology and anybody that wants to make a high quality product, can. 

Thanks for you insight! 

5 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I was making an industrial video.  Watched them mix a vat of grease.   They ran brand name tubes and filled them.   Same vat.  Then ran Wal mart tubes and filled them.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:27 AM, 201er said:

Plus a corrosion inhibitor. And you probably don’t want to use camgaurd because that might be too much antiscuff.

81BA810B-B47F-44BC-821B-1315947E5F79.thumb.jpeg.f1fc3c383aa86ef2916762972b578fc9.jpeg

49258F9B-26C7-4314-8BED-DD25872EBA0F.thumb.jpeg.0bf711b3cbfd359582654f3651f01049.jpeg

Looks like you may have found an interesting alternative.  Keep us all posted as to how your plane responds to it's use. 

Just now, MrRodgers said:

Looks like you may have found an interesting alternative.  Keep us all posted as to how your plane responds to it's use. 

They didn’t convince me to go for it. Basically it has antiscuff but doesn’t have corrosion inhibitor while camgaurd has both. So it’s the good old fashioned 20W50 and Camguard for me as I’ve done since factory reman.

5 minutes ago, 201er said:

They didn’t convince me to go for it. Basically it has antiscuff but doesn’t have corrosion inhibitor while camgaurd has both. So it’s the good old fashioned 20W50 and Camguard for me as I’ve done since factory reman.

Okay, thanks for the update.  I always enjoy your videos.  Looks like you make perfect use of your plane.  It's also great that your wife enjoys flying with you.  I did my first out of state flying last week and it was awesome.  Your videos were my inspiration throughout my training.  Hope to fly the Hudson River corridor with you sometime.  If you are ever in the LA area.  I'll take you up to fly the LA basin airspace. It's an eye opener but training here prepared me well when I got my ppl.  

CDKU3132 (1).JPG

• Like 1