Dramatic Rise in Aeroshell Price !

I normally purchase one case [12 quarts] of Aeroshell 100W at my local distributor approx. every 3 months.
There has routinely been a steady small price increase each time I purchase a case.

Yesterday, I purchased, what turned out to be, one of the last available cases containing 12 quarts.
I learned that cases of Aeroshell 100W will now be sold only in quantity of 6 quarts.

The obvious question was, what's the price of the new 6 pack, and what's the price of the remaining 12 pack available?

The 12 pack case was $86, and the new 6 pack case was $53!  Ouch!!  That's substantial!!!

Yes, I understand Spruce, and probably others, are selling Aeroshell 100W for less than $53 per 6 pack ($43 Spruce I believe).  But, when one adds shipping and tax, all seems to come out very close to the out the door price I pay at my local distributor.

Regardless, all things being relative, 20 bucks is a dramatic rise in the cost of my Aeroshell 100W!!  :angry:

Anyone else notice this?? :ph34r:

I suspect the change to 6 quart cases is due to UPS and other carriers. 12 is too heavy. A bag of mortar mix is now half the old bag weight. Suits me fine. 35 pounds feels like 70 did a few decades ago.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

petroleumservicecompany.com

Shipping will be a bit more to CA than I pay to VA but it'll still work out to be close to what you were paying before.  They are advertising it as 12 quart cases still.  I'm not sure it has to do with shipping.  I just ordered two 12 quart cases of Phillips XC 20-50.  They put both of them in one big box and shipped it all together.  I ordered it on Monday, it was delivered to me on Tuesday.  $66/12 including shipping.  Even with adding camguard, I'm still paying less than the Aeroshell.  Not to start that discusion.  But.......

6 minutes ago, hypertech said:

Not to start that discusion.  But.......

Me thinks we’ve been down this road previously :rolleyes:

Anyway, my opinion (of which I have many :P), is this new case size is a sneaky way to incorporate a huge price increase!

Kinda like a half gallon of ice cream used to really be a half gallon, before they shrunk the container and kept the price the same !  Did anyone notice that ? :o

Now, I’m not complaining at all.  I’m merely pointing out this situation, in case (no pun) others hadn’t noticed the change.

I’m thankful and grateful for the privilege of flying an airplane, (especially a Mooney!), and to be able to maintain it properly. 

(Well, maybe a little complaing) :(

4 hours ago, hypertech said:

petroleumservicecompany.com

Shipping will be a bit more to CA than I pay to VA but it'll still work out to be close to what you were paying before.  They are advertising it as 12 quart cases still.  I'm not sure it has to do with shipping.  I just ordered two 12 quart cases of Phillips XC 20-50.  They put both of them in one big box and shipped it all together.  I ordered it on Monday, it was delivered to me on Tuesday.  $66/12 including shipping.  Even with adding camguard, I'm still paying less than the Aeroshell.  Not to start that discusion.  But.......

Thank you for this information.  Next oil change, this is a strong possibility! :D

4 hours ago, philiplane said:

Switch to Phillips 100AW. It has the Lycoming anti-scuff additive that the Shell 100w doesn't, and is usually $55 for a real case of 12 quarts. 

My guess it also might have to do with shipping Haz-Mat, if this is true ALL oils will be sold in 6-packs

Car oil has been in 6-qt cases for several years.

This is why I fly ~45 minutes to Spruce at KFFC and they bring me and oil to my wingtip. Then I take the crew car and eat lunch! Win win, especially when my wife comes along.

Aero shell seems to be significantly more expensive than Phillips.  And it’s just oil.

I'm surprised people pay up for it.... but then again... seeing how heated debates get on this board over smaller things.. it shouldn’t surprise me.

• Like 2

On 7/26/2019 at 8:17 PM, philiplane said:

Switch to Phillips 100AW. It has the Lycoming anti-scuff additive that the Shell 100w doesn't, and is usually $55 for a real case of 12 quarts. 

+1.

I just bought 3 cases of Philips' new Victory 20W50 at OSH.  It exactly the same as the XC 20W50 but includes the Lycoming anti-scuff agent.  At the show, a 12-qt. Case of XC casts $55, the new Victory 20W50 is only $58.  Incredible price.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Andy95W said:

+1.

I just bought 3 cases of Philips' new Victory 20W50 at OSH.  It exactly the same as the XC 20W50 but includes the Lycoming anti-scuff agent.  At the show, a 12-qt. Case of XC casts $55, the new Victory 20W50 is only $58.  Incredible price.

Plus a corrosion inhibitor. And you probably don’t want to use camgaurd because that might be too much antiscuff.

81BA810B-B47F-44BC-821B-1315947E5F79.thumb.jpeg.f1fc3c383aa86ef2916762972b578fc9.jpeg

49258F9B-26C7-4314-8BED-DD25872EBA0F.thumb.jpeg.0bf711b3cbfd359582654f3651f01049.jpeg

I’m only seeing TPP, triphenyl phosphate. It’s the antiscuff additive. It actually causes corrosion in the prescense of water vapor. That’s how it has the antiscuff properties, it forms a thin layer on the cam and lifters after shutdown. Read some about this chemical. 
I don’t see any anti-corrosion chemicals added. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I’m only seeing TPP, triphenyl phosphate. It’s the antiscuff additive. It actually causes corrosion in the prescense of water vapor. That’s how it has the antiscuff properties, it forms a thin layer on the cam and lifters after shutdown. Read some about this chemical. 
I don’t see any anti-corrosion chemicals added. 

I guess I'm not smart enough to know the chemistry, not sure if I can even spell TPP.

All I know is that the Aviation Consumer magazine has done a lot of tests in the past on oil and oil additives, and their results show that the Lycoming additive helps prevent rust in high humidity environments. 

35-2-Test.pdf

That photo doesn’t really show anything other than oil with camguard added to it, has dramatically lower levels of rust. 
the “plus” version of aero shell is slightly less than straight oil.  81% vs 97% rust coverage after 14 days. That should horrify any airplane engine owner. 
hwoever, Philips type M with camguard was 8% coverage. 

Edited by jetdriven
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

That photo doesn’t really show anything other than oil with camguard added to it, has dramatically lower levels of rust. 
the “plus” version of aero shell is slightly less than straight oil.  81% vs 97% rust coverage after 14 days. That should horrify any airplane engine owner. 
hwoever, Philips type M with camguard was 8% coverage. 

What’s the difference between Phillips XC 20W-50 and type M 20W-50? Does anyone use the type M?