Beer bottle at altitude

Davidv

Ok this may be a dumb question, but I’m considering taking some beer that I brewed at sea level with me on a trip tomorrow.  If all goes as planned I should be flying at 17.5k.  While bottles are fine on airliners at a cabin altitude of 8k, has anyone had any experience carrying them at this height?  I’m planning on wrapping them inside a few trash bags but I’d rather not have them rupture and smell beer for hours. The bottle caps are conventional (like you would find on beer at a store).

I carried plenty of beer home at 12.5k’ after a party in Nola... everyone else was flying commercial...

Expect beer bottled commercially has been designed around traveling up to about 14.5k’ as trucks may reach this high normally while shipping... as Would bags of chips and boxes of cereal...

Now...  how does your bottling process match the quality of industry standards? Do you have a method of knowing the caps are on tightly as expected?

PP thoughts only, not a packaging engineer...

Best regards,

-a-

Everyone else is missing the major questions... like where exactly are you going and how much beer do you have? If you don’t have enough for the whole MS class you shouldn’t ask the question!!! Lol... Hope your going on that Boston run you’ve been talking about! Have a Safe flight! 

• Like 1

I have never had any issue with soft drinks or beer up to 12k but I generally don't go higher.  I did have a bag of chips open up climbing though about 8k scared the $%^&** out of me I started looking around to see what happened.  My son started laughing when we realized it was just the chips.

• Like 1