Accelerated Instrument Training

bdavis171

One of the things that I liked at GATTS was the all included price - even the checkride. Plus, I always felt like my instructor would spend as much time as needed with me. I also never had the feeling of “am I being charged for the sidebar discussion at a midpoint destination FBO.” It was all about the many different facets of flying.

For me, it was like an all inclusive vacation - but instead of beer and suntan oil it was avgas and engine oil.

• Like 1

So...

We have...

I used AF... it was a 10 day program that I jammed in a week (9 days straight) then followed up for the tenth day a few days later... working around vacation time and crummy winter weather... Lots o practice using a simulator... actual flying in school C172s... while I was between Mooneys... the check ride was included in the training and didn’t involve an outside FAA checkride... something to do with the school certification...

Getting the IR is best to use your own Mooney... unless you don’t have one... :)

Did I miss any?

Best regards,

-a-

• 4 months later...

Just for future reference, I completed my IR training at GATTs last weekend, checkride back home went just fine and passed without problems.  I know there were several people hesitant of the accelerated path, but for me, it was the best route.  I went into the program with a 97 on my written and a very solid knowledge base.  Between training on the sim and flying my M20F, I feel very comfortable shooting approaches and being in the system.  It saved me tons of time and allowed me to really focus on flying without distractions at home and work.  If this fits your learning style, do it!!  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Congrats on the IR. I find this interesting. Up here in Canada we cannot write an IR or any exam as all Transport Canada centres are closed due to covid and instructors wont and are not allowed to provide and testing.   Great you were able to get it in. 

Stuck studying and doing practive approaches!

enjoy the rating and best of luck

• Like 1

Just now, pkofman said:

Congrats on the IR. I find this interesting. Up here in Canada we cannot write an IR or any exam as all Transport Canada centres are closed due to covid and instructors wont and are not allowed to provide and testing.   Great you were able to get it in. 

Stuck studying and doing practive approaches!

enjoy the rating and best of luck

Luckily flight training is considered "essential" here.  It was just myself and a flight instructor for the 7 days I was there.  I was able to find a DPE back home through a friend who was happy to do my check ride.  

Looking forward to getting more and more comfortable using the system anytime I fly, learning along the way!

9 hours ago, Ross Taylor said:

Interesting...and congratulations!  I was just investigating the same exact thing and called American Flyers location in Scottsdale.  They're open and in full operation, I was told.  Time to get my IR, too.

Study hard and go in fully prepared for the oral.  Get as many safety pilot hours as possible.  Good luck!!