KFLV Under Water

The Missouri River breached the North end of my home airfield in late June when the river crested at just over 30'.  It displaced about 30 aircraft to other aiports in the area with another 5 pulled across the railroad tracks to higher ground off the airport.  I didn't realize how bad it was until I came home a week ago and went flying.  I flew over "Lake Sherman Airfield" last week at pattern altitude to see how bad it was.  The building on the right is the FBO and the T-Hangars I house my plane in are on the left in the first picture.  We have 5 Mooney's up at Atchison (K59) right now, which is by far the most of any other make there...

We flew up to Omaha on Monday and I could not believe the amount of flooding between Iowa, Missouri, and Nebraska.  Unreal!

Brian

post-401-13468140482013_thumb.jpg

post-401-13468140482316_thumb.jpg

Soooo, you guys up North are responsible for all this flooding.... Tongue out

This winter was no joke as well and think that has a lot to do with it too.  The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is still releasing water from the dams up in the Dakotas, so we may not see it clear up for awhile.  I'll be in Germany by time it gets back to business as usual.

Brian

Here's what it should normally look like.  One of my friends owns the FBO and said his flood insurance should have him back up and operational in about two months.  Everything is out, but they'll have to redo all of the drywall and give it a good cleaning.  I'm curious to see how well the wooden hangars held up.  Might be a good chance to have newer ones built if the wood is found to be structurally unsound. We'll see how it goes.  That's the risk you run when you build an airport near a major river. 

No casualties as far as aircraft goes (think back to the last epsiosde with the Mooney on eBay...Foot in mouth) since we had plenty of warning and lead time to move everything out.

Brian

post-401-13468140482591_thumb.jpg

post-401-13468140482859_thumb.jpg