Surley bonds of the pattern

Yetti

2 hours ago, RLCarter said:

Yep, and when the tower called and told you to extend your downwind and they would call your base you felt like you had flown somewhere.... lol

Whenever I talked to a tower, I had flown somewhere, even if only 4nm across the river . . . Depart KHTW on 26, make a left turnout and enter left base for 30 at KHTS. Those were the days! Everything was new and exciting!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Hank said:

Whenever I talked to a tower, I had flown somewhere, even if only 4nm across the river . . . Depart KHTW on 26, make a left turnout and enter left base for 30 at KHTS. Those were the days! Everything was new and exciting!

Back in 1998 for me, and I still find myself at HTS every now and then...but only for a few more months.

Edited by Johnnybgoode

6 minutes ago, Johnnybgoode said:

Back in 1998 for me, and I still find myself at HTS every now and then...but only for a few more months.

Hey, next time you're there, go over to HTW and take some pictures where they've been clearing the approaches at both ends!! I think they were repaving the runway, too, so the original 50' width won't have darker edges from where it was widened to 75'. Thank in advance!

I got my license and my Mooney there in 2007, and moved to Alabama in 2014. Good times! While I enjoy the weather down here, I miss having multiple fly-out lunch options that are available there . . . . .

That was in 2015 for me.  After my first solo, the runway closed, so we took off on the taxiway and flew 30 minutes over to the next airport so I could practice solo pattern work.  I figured if I had to fly 30 minutes just to get to the practice airport, I'd better get my money's worth.  I did 15 touch and go landings before my instructor called me from another plane and asked if we were ever going home.  Good times!

On 7/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, Hank said:

Hey, next time you're there, go over to HTW and take some pictures where they've been clearing the approaches at both ends!! I think they were repaving the runway, too, so the original 50' width won't have darker edges from where it was widened to 75'. Thank in advance!

I got my license and my Mooney there in 2007, and moved to Alabama in 2014. Good times! While I enjoy the weather down here, I miss having multiple fly-out lunch options that are available there . . . . .

I would, but it might turn some heads and I'm not sure how well we'd fit in the pattern doing low approaches in the Herk...

20 minutes ago, Johnnybgoode said:

I would, but it might turn some heads and I'm not sure how well we'd fit in the pattern doing low approaches in the Herk...

Just don't land---3000' would be a little short for you! CRW is fine, though, my DPE was former WV ANG Wing Commander there. Lots of -130 traffic. 

15 hours ago, Johnnybgoode said:

Bill Peters, perhaps? My former wing commander.

Yes, for my PPL and Instrument rating. One in a Cessna, one in my Mooney. Great guy, sharp pilot.

Small world, isn't it? 

Edited by Hank

Sure is, until you fly around it a time or two. First trip out of the country was with Bill. We went to a small dirt strip in Germany with a day off in England. He and I and our engineer spent the down time at the Air Museum at Duxford. It was a great way to start out my career!

• Like 1