Homework for Oshkosh

Hey - Oshkosh people,  Can I suggest tents to visit to ask questions?

Here are two tents I would visit if I could.

1) Aerovonics.  The AV-30.  Will they certify a connection to drive my KFC200 soon?  This would kick butt price and simplicity vs say KI300, or G5 (which won't anyway), or some of the many other possibilities.

2) Surefly....I want to get their electronic ignition for my TSIO520NB ... and I hear they are adding turbo..."soon".  Also is there an Oshkosh discount price?

Erik

Edited by aviatoreb

32 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

2) Surely....I want to get their electronic ignition for my TSIO520NB ... and I hear they are adding turbo..."soon".  Also is there an Oshkosh discount price?

I assume this is surefly.  I like the idea of adding electronic ignition, but it's my understanding that the surefly system's failure mode advances the timing based on ambient pressure, it doesn't fail to the set timing of the system.  With that in mind, I can't see replacing the magneto with the surefly system in a turbo airplane.

3 minutes ago, smccray said:

I assume this is surefly.  I like the idea of adding electronic ignition, but it's my understanding that the surefly system's failure mode advances the timing based on ambient pressure, it doesn't fail to the set timing of the system.  With that in mind, I can't see replacing the magneto with the surefly system in a turbo airplane.

Yes - surefly - stupid auto-correct didn't like that.  I am backtracking to edit the above.

Why can't you see replacing a magneto with electronic ignition?  electroair is already available for turbo aircraft.  It still has benefits.  Just not the timing advance thing.

5 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Yes - surefly - stupid auto-correct didn't like that.  I am backtracking to edit the above.

Why can't you see replacing a magneto with electronic ignition?  electroair is already available for turbo aircraft.  It still has benefits.  Just not the timing advance thing.

??? because if it fails it goes to an advanced timing setting.  Failure mode should assume normal timing not advanced timing. 

1 minute ago, smccray said:

??? because if it fails it goes to an advanced timing setting.  Failure mode should assume normal timing not advanced timing. 

I presume getting it certified would include fixing that.  Meanwhile it is not available and it has that problem.  I heard many months ago they are working on that and they expect it to be corrected.  I want that corrected version and I am asking if someone might query at the tent.  I am already sold on the concept though.

17 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

I presume getting it certified would include fixing that.  Meanwhile it is not available and it has that problem.  I heard many months ago they are working on that and they expect it to be corrected.  I want that corrected version and I am asking if someone might query at the tent.  I am already sold on the concept though.

I believe I saw a report that the Electroair didn't improve performance in the TN A36.  It probably makes it easier to start the plane, but frankly that's not an issue that I need to address.  For NA planes- absolutely.  Turbos- that's a firm TBD.  I don't see a need to blaze a trail- it comes down to cost.  My bendix mags are pretty reliable.  If I don't get more speed and replacing with electronics runs $5K, I don't see the value.  It's not about the concept, it's about the value.

1 hour ago, smccray said:

I believe I saw a report that the Electroair didn't improve performance in the TN A36.  It probably makes it easier to start the plane, but frankly that's not an issue that I need to address.  For NA planes- absolutely.  Turbos- that's a firm TBD.  I don't see a need to blaze a trail- it comes down to cost.  My bendix mags are pretty reliable.  If I don't get more speed and replacing with electronics runs $5K, I don't see the value.  It's not about the concept, it's about the value.

I understand you don't see the value.  I do. I will buy if it is available.  More reliable (my opinion - so no need to debate), more efficient - possibly, easier starts, and I am kind of annoyed of running 1910s technology in my airplane.  Surefly is much cheaper than electroair and simpler install. 

Anyway if anyone would stop by the tent and chat I would appreciate to hear what you learn please.

3 hours ago, smccray said:

Surefly with a turbo keeps the unit in Fixed timing mode at all times (other than 0deg for start)   No MP connection.  

16 minutes ago, PaulM said:

Surefly with a turbo keeps the unit in Fixed timing mode at all times (other than 0deg for start)   No MP connection.  

That was my understanding.  In any case, if anyone would visit the tent and confirm please and ask when it will be available?  Thanks!

E

This is interesting -
please ask at the Garmin booth is this new GNC335 just essentially a GTN650 but cheaper?  Surely now the GNS430W will price drop btw with this new competitor at $6995.
https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/garmin-adds-ifr-approved-gps-com/

The GNC 355 does not have a NAV radio built in. It will do LPV approaches and has a 10 watt COM radio but no NAV radio so no VOR/LOC/ILS. Still, it is very capable and if you already have a second radio that has a NAV function then probably all you need if you want to save quite a few bucks over a GTN650. I’m certainly taking a look at at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Erik,

I was asked to display my new plane at the CAV ICE SYSTEMS (TKS) booth. It’s just a couple booths on the right walking in the main entrance gate.  Stop by and say hi.  I would love to meet you in person   @201er and Matt @Sabremech  (new early model Mooney cowl upgrade guru) stopped and said hi today.  Anyone of my Mooney buds would be a welcome site if you drop by and say hi!

Tom

1 minute ago, Yooper Rocketman said:

Erik,

I was asked to display my new plane at the CAV ICE SYSTEMS (TKS) booth. It’s just a couple booths on the right walking in the main entrance gate.  Stop by and say hi.  I would love to meet you in person   @201er and Matt (new early model Mooney cowl upgrade guru) stopped and said hi today.  Anyone of my Mooney buds would be a welcome site if you drop by and say hi!

Tom

Hi Tom, I would love to meet you too!  Alas - I am not there.  I have an especially busy work week this week - I am advisor to two PhD students who are each defending this week.  

I'm sorry.

I was flying home from Minnesota in late June and I had thoughts of dropping by your airport, but weather contrived against me and sent me home southerly over Iowa.  We will meet one day, I promise!  Do you go to Oshkosh every year/most years?  I may go next year.  I've only been once so far.