Real Men of Genius

Flying back and forth for work after a weekend home parked my car in the hangar had plenty of fuel for the 1.5 hr jaunt so didn't realize my wallet was in the car until I needed my hotel room key to get into my room and money for the week. Needless to say got 4 hours of flight instead of the 1.5.

• Like 1

I flew to Gulf Shores for lunch (KJKA) left got home and while fueling the plane I realized I still had the courtesy car keys in my pocket.  SF&&^^%%*((*&^%$##

I called the girl at JKA and went back the next day for ,lunch again.  not a bad weekend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RLCarter said:

I was told a long time ago “Learn from others mistakes, you won’t live long enough to make them all yourself “

My wife says I have a morbid curiosity, because I study accident reports, read about people’s close calls, and just “over-plan”.  My father told me the same thing, though I can’t remember if it was regarding farming or flying.  

6 hours ago, eman1200 said:

First pax I ever took, we loaded up our golf bags into a rental Cherokee. Upon leveling off I was like why is this thing going so darned slow....left a notch of flaps in.

During primary training we’d fly into JQF (towered field) and upon landing would always hear “exit at delta, taxi via alpha”. Over and over after landing “exit at delta, taxi via alpha.” So it came time for my solo landings at a towered field. Dropped my CFI off at the FBO, called up tower and heard “exit at delta, taxi via alpha”. After a long pause I was like “no, I’m already on the ramp”. “That’s right, exit at delta taxi via alpha”. I couldn’t understand that he meant exit THE RAMP, I had it in my mind that I always exit the runway.

Are you sure it wasn’t just because it was a Cherokee?  I joke because Dad had one too.  

As for the taxi instructions, that happened to me after a short Covid break at my home airport.  Face palm....

• Like 1

In the spirit of the previous two posts I'll tell this one:

I was going flying with a fellow MSer and hangar neighbor (who will remain anonymous for legal reasons :)).  We got the plane out, put our cars in the hangar, and then closed and locked the doors.  A few seconds later I realized that I had left my keys to the car, hangar, and airplane in the hangar.  This was a hot summer Sunday in south Florida with no one else around.  My Mser friend, who is a very accomplished person, proceeds to use a paperclip and home made torsion bar to pick the lock in about 10 minutes. 

He said: "You can never tell anyone about this, and if anything is missing from your hangar in the future, it wasn't me".

Edited by Davidv
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jeph357 said:

Flying back and forth for work after a weekend home parked my car in the hangar had plenty of fuel for the 1.5 hr jaunt so didn't realize my wallet was in the car until I needed my hotel room key to get into my room and money for the week. Needless to say got 4 hours of flight instead of the 1.5.

I did this too.  Actually twice now in 3 years. First time was wife plus 2 x 3 year old kids for lunch 1.5 hours flight from Spokane to Arlington, just north of Seattle.  Arrived, taxied to fbo for fuel, no wallet.  Airplane had about 15 gallons in it.  Oh $%!|!  Was a quiet Sunday afternoon... talked to the lady working the fbo desk.  Apple pay?  No.  Cash transfer?  No?  By now the kids are getting hangry and antsy... she says, lemme call the owners.  5 minutes later she says, no worries, give me your address, they’ll send you a bill.  Great!  Problem 1 solved!  

I quickly texted my 2 brothers and said, “first one to send me their cc number, expiration, and code gets a case of beer in the mail.”  Took about 5 minutes, little brother won the beer.  Wouldn’t you know, the cafe on the airport had no issues just taking a cc number off my phone! Problem 2 solved!

I now carry a credit card in the back of the pilot seat.  I had to use it just last week!

3 hours ago, Nick Pilotte said:

My wife says I have a morbid curiosity, because I study accident reports, read about people’s close calls, and just “over-plan”.  My father told me the same thing, though I can’t remember if it was regarding farming or flying.  

My wife questions me reading NTSB reports, go figure.... Regarding farming, flying and anything else....... It works for everything