Real Men of Genius

I always give my son a hard time when he does something which (predictably) would result in an undesired outcome, but then gets upset when it happens.

Yesterday, it was my turn. I was leaving MOD yesterday and it’s been pretty hot there (90-100 F) recently. I was by myself so I finished the preflight and went through my checklist and set it down next to the Gatorade bottle on the passengers seat. I had the door propped open so I wouldn’t get cooked and to my complete surprise, as soon as the engine started the door swung open and I saw my checklist fly right out the window and out of sight.

I made sure the parking brake was on and stuck my head out the window to make sure it wasn’t stuck on a control surface and then decided that I suddenly had made up my mind on the checklist vs flow debate and had an uneventful trip home (after tower reminded me I hadn’t set the transponder).

I told my son about it and his response was predictable:

”Dad, what did you THINK was going to happen if you put a piece of paper next to an open door?!”

Anyone else feel like confessing their acts of genius?

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

25 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

You mean the "ground-adjustable speed brake"?

My buddy called it a runway alignment device, was during my IR training, I asked my CFI-I how to log time with my head in my a$$

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I went for a day flight.  That night, after looking everywhere in my home, I realized I'd left my iPad in the plane.  At midnight I drove 20 minutes to the airport, hunted for the iPad with the flashlight, found it under a seat, grabbed it, and drove the 20 minutes back.  Back at home I got ready for bed but realized not only had I left my iPad in the plane, I'd also left my Stratus 2 in the plane.  So at 1:15 AM I drove the 20 minutes back to the airport, again, hunted for it with the flashlight, found it, and drove back home... again.  So from 12:00 AM to 2:00 AM, that's two separate trips to pick up things I forgot.

The worst part?  The Stratus 2 was still suction-cupped to the window, staring me right in the face the whole time.

11 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

I always give my son a hard time when he does something which (predictably) would result in an undesired outcome, but then gets upset when it happens.

Yesterday, it was my turn. I was leaving MOD yesterday and it’s been pretty hot there (90-100 F) recently. I was by myself so I finished the preflight and went through my checklist and set it down next to the Gatorade bottle on the passengers seat. I had the door propped open so I wouldn’t get cooked and to my complete surprise, as soon as the engine started the door swung open and I saw my checklist fly right out the window and out of sight.

I made sure the parking brake was on and stuck my head out the window to make sure it wasn’t stuck on a control surface and then decided that I suddenly had made up my mind on the checklist vs flow debate and had an uneventful trip home (after tower reminded me I hadn’t set the transponder).

I told my son about it and his response was predictable:

”Dad, what did you THINK was going to happen if you put a piece of paper next to an open door?!”

Anyone else feel like confessing their acts of genius?

Nope - I have never made a mistake or done anything dumb.  Ever.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

I went for a day flight.  That night, after looking everywhere in my home, I realized I'd left my iPad in the plane.  At midnight I drove 20 minutes to the airport, hunted for the iPad with the flashlight, found it under a seat, grabbed it, and drove the 20 minutes back.  Back at home I got ready for bed but realized not only had I left my iPad in the plane, I'd also left my Stratus 2 in the plane.  So at 1:15 AM I drove the 20 minutes back to the airport, again, hunted for it with the flashlight, found it, and drove back home... again.  So from 12:00 AM to 2:00 AM, that's two separate trips to pick up things I forgot.

The worst part?  The Stratus 2 was still suction-cupped to the window, staring me right in the face the whole time.

...oh I've done that.

And worse.

Like leaving my iPad on the roof of the car - only to find that when I got there - hmmmm... no more iPad.

But worse than that - a friend left his iPad on the tail of his airplane.  Ooops.  He actually found his iPad later that day in the woods no less in direct line of departure from the runway - it had fallen off from what - a couple hundred feet?  And it survived!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

Is this your way of bragging that you're only 20 minutes from your plane?  So lucky!

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

What a long night! But seems you left something important to the story out - was it a rental with another pilot departing in the morning? Why else would you feel the need to return any sooner than the next morning?

I know a fellow instructor that left his Bose A20's in the restroom after a flight by mistake, ran back only 20 min later after realizing it to find them gone! That sucks :(

• Like 1

I have already confessed this on this board... but by far the dumbest thing I have ever done in an airplane was to purposefully open the door on an F model Aztec... I thought the tail was going to break off.  Nothing was working to get the door shut ( slips, slow flight) luckily there was another pilot in the plane... I had him fly, I got in the back seat, took my shitr off, ran it through the door handle and put my feet against the wall and pulled on the shirt...  was able to get it partially latched.

Stupid.

44 minutes ago, M20FTraveler said:

Is this your way of bragging that you're only 20 minutes from your plane?  So lucky!

At midnight?  Yes.  During the day, in LA traffic?  Not quite.  It's taken me 45 minutes to travel the last mile to the airport on more than one occasion!

28 minutes ago, kortopates said:

What a long night! But seems you left something important to the story out - was it a rental with another pilot departing in the morning? Why else would you feel the need to return any sooner than the next morning?

I know a fellow instructor that left his Bose A20's in the restroom after a flight by mistake, ran back only 20 min later after realizing it to find them gone! That sucks :(

Exactly: it was a rental, with unlocked doors 24/7, and I thought I might never get my stuff back if I didn't go grab it!

59 minutes ago, kortopates said:

There are worse things you can do than leaving your headset in the bathroom:

https://ksby.com/news/local-news/2019/07/17/slo-city-officials-announce-consequences-for-slopd-chief-following-firearm-incident

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

In the summer time I USED TO fly with flip/flops.. all the time.. Never thought anything of it.  Until, that one time while taxiing the seat somehow came unlocked and slid all the way back.  Instead of immediately pulling power I attempted to "scoot" forward only to kick my flip flops off and up into the rudder peddles.   So I laid down to reach the brakes only to realize I now couldn't see out of the windows.  that's when I pulled the power.  No damage, no witnesses.  I don't fly with flip flops anymore.

• Like 2

In the middle of IFR training, on an IMC day, the extra pressure of experiencing 'actual' resulted in me trying to taxi with the chocks still firmly installed on the nose gear tire. 

With my instructor in the right seat. 

Twice.  (On two separate days, weeks apart.)

Tom

I have NEVER left a rudder lock on, taxi over chocks (twice), started a start sequence with the inlet plug and prop tie on, left an oil door open...... fortunately all have been caught pretty quickly.

Just last week, my wingman, (we fly in groups of 2 at work) left his cell on the float (amphib). Realized at some point during our 4 hour sortie.  We got back, and he took off for a "walk". found it sitting right on the white centerline of a very busy fire base, not a scratch on it. How a 100,000lbs airtanker didn't smash it like a bug, I dont know.

• Like 2

MOST of the time I am flying alone, years ago my wife decided she wanted to go up to the cabin for a long weekend for the fall colors. We arrived at the airplane, I pre flighted and she loaded some small packs in the rear seats. She went into the FBO to the latrine and I was going through pre start check list. I started the engine, called control for a Northwest departure and was cleared to 15 with a left turn to the Northwest. taxied out, performed a run up, took the active and took off. Climbing left turn on course about 5 mins out I hear the tower call me and say Arrow 84E, we just got a call from the FBO, your wife is waiting at the ramp",   I replied "Thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf".   Arrow 84E cleared for expedited approach straight in 15, cleared to land".  I figured the tower knew I was in for it.

Edited by Air pirate
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 14

3 hours ago, Air pirate said:

MOST of the time I am flying alone, years ago my wife decided she wanted to go up to the cabin for a long weekend for the fall colors. We arrived at the airplane, I pre flighted and she loaded some small packs in the rear seats. She went into the FBO to the latrine and I was going through pre start check list. I started the engine, called control for a Northwest departure and was cleared to 15 with a left turn to the Northwest. taxied out, performed a run up, took the active and took off. Climbing left turn on course about 5 mins out I hear the tower call me and say Arrow 84E, we just got a call from the FBO, your wife is waiting at the ramp",   I replied "Thank God, I thought I'd gone deaf".   Arrow 84E cleared for expedited approach straight in 15, cleared to land".  I figured the tower knew I was in for it.

What you could have done is declare an emergency and that you need to immediately return to the field.  Tower would have understood.

but clearly / your genius story shines above and beyond all the previous stories and indeed any more that could come.  Moderator feel free to close the thread!

e

3 hours ago, Air pirate said:

I'm pretty sure that if I'd pulled that dumb stunt in an airplane I'd be dead now.

Of course, I'd be dead if I'd done it with a car, too:D

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MikeOH said:

I'm pretty sure that if I'd pulled that dumb stunt in an airplane I'd be dead now.

Of course, I'd be dead if I'd done it with a car, too:D

If I'd pulled that stunt, my widow would have used the Mooney to troll another pilot to fly her around . . . . .  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:08 PM, Eraaen said:

In the summer time I USED TO fly with flip/flops.. all the time.. Never thought anything of it.  Until, that one time while taxiing the seat somehow came unlocked and slid all the way back.  Instead of immediately pulling power I attempted to "scoot" forward only to kick my flip flops off and up into the rudder peddles.   So I laid down to reach the brakes only to realize I now couldn't see out of the windows.  that's when I pulled the power.  No damage, no witnesses.  I don't fly with flip flops anymore.

I always take the flip flops off while flying and fly bare foot. Put them right behind the passenger's seat. You can curl your toes around the rudder peddles.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1