AoA comments from Chuck

Yetti

On 7/21/2019 at 8:13 AM, Yetti said:

At the 1 minute mark.   Cracks me up every time

Respectfully, everyone is taking this way too seriously; he wasn't issuing an indictment of modern avionics or anything else. And given what he has done, he is certainly entitled to his opinion on such things - he chased the demons beyond the barrier after all.

I met him at the Wright Brother's celebration at Kitty Hawk in December 2003, and it was certainly one of the highlights of my aviation life.

Personally, it made me smile. - Bob

W&B_ - 1 (1).jpg

19 minutes ago, FlyingScot said:

Respectfully, everyone is taking this way too seriously; he wasn't issuing an indictment of modern avionics or anything else. And given what he has done, he is certainly entitled to his opinion on such things - he chased the demons beyond the barrier after all.

I met him at the Wright Brother's celebration at Kitty Hawk in December 2003, and it was certainly one of the highlights of my aviation life.

Personally, it made me smile. - Bob

W&B_ - 1 (1).jpg

I’m not worried about Chuck, he’s proved he can handle himself just fine. It’s the folks that are not Chuck that take a casual remark he made in a fighter and think it applies it to:

1) them

and

2) light weight GA singles

2 hours ago, Austintatious said:

Think of how many accidents have occurred when someone got to slow in a base to final turn!

Is that just not following the PoH.  "Never get below 90 MPH without flaps deployed when you are low to the ground."    Your comment is like "Think how many people have run out of gas in their car even though there was a gas gauge sitting on Empty"   In SCADA systems the computer screen is called an HMI or Human Machine Interface.    Just because the HMI is telling you something does not mean you are going to take the proper corrective action.   Look at how many people have a fancy Engine monitor in their plane.   It's giving them lots of data, but since it does not transform it to information, they really are not sure what it is telling them.   

Edited by Yetti

Harrumph... I logged 40+ years and several thousand Mooney hours without an AoA indicator, and Cessnas before that. Raced sailboats for years. Have flown gliders. Who, me? Need a silly crutch like that? I’m no Chuck Yeager, but there ain’t nothin’ wrong with the seat of MY pants...

Except, I now have an AoA with the Aspen FD, and I like it! A lot. Mostly, it confirms what I already thought, but really does help with precision.. I still don’t measure when I cook, but admit that flying with some attention to the numbers makes me look smarter. . 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Austintatious said:

Have you seen the steering wheel of an F1 car?  They have LED lights that show engine RPM... by knowing what gear and how many RPM to enter the turn at is about the same as using a speedometer.

While racing, the gear selection and rpm are only rough guidelines.  Speed entering a corner is highly variable depending on changing track temperature, tire wear, tactical (early/late braking to sense the other drivers reaction to set up a pass for the next lap),  strategic (early/late apex to either pass on entry or pass exiting) and many other factors that are constantly changing.  Racing is done by seat of the pants, not numbers.  And yes, I have had a satisfactory racing background.  Even rpm isn’t a consistent factor.  Eg. dropping a few hundred rpm to avoid an unnecessary pit stop..... much much more...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cbarry said:

I think Mr. Yeager is hinting that: in this airplane, that thrust lever in your left hand is what keeps your AOA in good shape!

Sorry to be picky, but I think he has earned the right to be referred to as GENERAL or SIR as opposed to Mister.  Sorry, but it is the military part of me coming out.

A few years ago I had the honor to sit at a banquet table with a retired Air Force General in full uniform.  It was a wonderful conversation about flying and many other things.  I had three years as an enlisted man, part of it as a junior NCO.  At one point the General told me to call him Rex.  My response was “ sorry sir, but even though I’ve been out of the Army 45 years or so, I can’t bring myself to address you as anything other than Sir or General.  I think he really appreciated that.  He was ill at the time and we lost him a couple of weeks ago.  He was a credit to our community and will be missed.

2 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Sorry to be picky, but I think he has earned the right to be referred to as GENERAL or SIR as opposed to Mister.  Sorry, but it is the military part of me coming out.

"Sir Yeager"?? ;)

I'm teasing, I get where your coming from.  I'd probably call him General if I met him

23 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

While racing, the gear selection and rpm are only rough guidelines.  Speed entering a corner is highly variable depending on changing track temperature, tire wear, tactical (early/late braking to sense the other drivers reaction to set up a pass for the next lap),  strategic (early/late apex to either pass on entry or pass exiting) and many other factors that are constantly changing.  Racing is done by seat of the pants, not numbers.  And yes, I have had a satisfactory racing background.  Even rpm isn’t a consistent factor.  Eg. dropping a few hundred rpm to avoid an unnecessary pit stop..... much much more...

I'll bet, though, if you wanted to hit a corner with the exact same speed, that you could do so within 2 mph without looking at the speedo or tach.  I couldn't do that without glancing down.

3 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

When I was racing sports cars, I don't ever recall looking at my speedometer for entering a turn. But perhaps that might explain why I was not a super race car driver.

Agreed.  Coming off the banking at Daytona for the infield section at a kajjilion mph with competitors ahead, behind and often beside, the last place I would be looking is at my tach.

6 hours ago, cbarry said:

I think Mr. Yeager is hinting that: in this airplane, that thrust lever in your left hand is what keeps your AOA in good shape!

A few years ago I had the honor to sit at a banquet table with a retired Air Force General in full uniform.  It was a wonderful conversation about flying and many other things.  I had three years as an enlisted man, part of it as a junior NCO.  At one point the General told me to call him Rex.  My response was “ sorry sir, but even though I’ve been out of the Army 45 years or so, I can’t bring myself to address you as anything other than Sir or General.  I think he really appreciated that.  He was ill at the time and we lost him a couple of weeks ago.  He was a credit to our community and will be missed.

1 hour ago, smccray said:

More likely it's your affinity for Lotus... always in the pits...:P

That hurts. 

I have to admit they were (are?) a bit high maintenance. If you want the best, there is a cost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Agreed.  Coming off the banking at Daytona for the infield section at a kajjilion mph with competitors ahead, behind and often beside, the last place I would be looking is at my tach.

Don’t need a tach in modern cars, that’s what rev limiters are for...:D  I find the tack more useful than the speedo during hard driving. As for this business about cornering speeds. There’s so much more to play. Aggressive cornering requires the correct gear and the correct line. Speed (lateral Gs) and acceleration are a function of traction reserves. Doing it well requires knowing your those reserves as well as conserving tires for future corners.

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I agree.  I had no intention of not recognizing his rank.  My task was simply to point out his statement to fellow military pilot was most likely associated with the bird he was strapping on and the level of expertise they jointly hold.  

I believe Chuck Yeager had fighter jet privileges into his upper 70's.  I spoke to a military dentist that did his dental exam clearance at Edwards back in the early 2000's.  After the dental exam Chuck Yeager offered him a jet ride.  The dentist declined because he was to scared.  I told him I would of jumped at the chance in a heart beat.  He showed me a picture with Yeager's arm around him on his phone.

17 minutes ago, kerry said:

I believe Chuck Yeager had fighter jet privileges into his upper 70's.  I spoke to a military dentist that did his dental exam clearance at Edwards back in the early 2000's.  After the dental exam Chuck Yeager offered him a jet ride.  The dentist declined because he was to scared.  I told him I would of jumped at the chance in a heart beat.  He showed me a picture with Yeager's arm around him on his phone.

Pretty close!  74 (born 2/13/1923) according to the Wikipedia entry:

On October 14, 1997, on the 50th anniversary of his historic flight past Mach 1, he flew a new Glamorous Glennis III, an F-15D Eagle, past Mach 1. The chase plane for the flight was an F-16 Fighting Falcon piloted by Bob Hoover, a longtime test, fighter and aerobatic pilot who had been Yeager's wingman for the first supersonic flight. This was Yeager's last official flight with the U.S. Air Force.

That has got to be the absolute coolest 'last flight' in the Air Force, ever!

• Like 1