GNX-375 inital pirep

Davidv

I've flown with my new GNX-375 for about 7-8 hours now and wanted to give my quick thoughts on whoever may be considering the purchase.  Overall, I'm very satisfied with the unit, especially given the value.  I'm not a Garmin expert, but it does almost everything that a 650 can do minus the radios plus an ADS-B in/out transponder.   At first I was concerned it would be too small but the ability to use Connext with the two way flight plan transfer to Foreflight has been great.   Seeing the weather and traffic on the foreflight also essentially replicated my Stratus 3  without the need for the extra device.  Yes, the screen can be small when you're trying to type in an airport on the touchscreen in turbulence, but nothing that's not doable.  I also like using the knob when it may be too bumpy for the touchscreen.  For anyone who is looking for either a second NAV or replacing a KLN-94 and old transponder its a very good option.  The installed cost for me was less than 1/2 of a GTN-650+GTX-345 or 1/3 of a GTN-750 + GTX345.  Yes, it's not an apples to apples compare because you don't get the radios (and slightly smaller) but for me the core functionality was all I needed.  One day if I add a second NAV I may go with one of the bigger ones and use this as a secondary + transponder.

Happy to answer any questions for others who may be considering a purchase.

• Like 8

Does the 375 do VNAV descents?  My understanding is that it can't be programmed as such (unlike its big brothers the -650/7500) but I could live without it as long as it has a similar function to the KLN-94 which can be set up for a single VNAV point.  Does it offer that?

• Like 1

It has VCALC.  I haven’t played around with it too much but you enter the data yourself.  You select the waypoint, offset, and descent rate and it shows you TOD based on desired VS as well as dynamic required VS based on your location and speed.  I realize that VNAV is better so just depends on whether you could live with this.  See below for a pic from the simulator on my iPad.

829F0012-C172-4A45-8153-520D6BA307B0.jpeg

• Like 2

Did you replace a KLN94?  Is it tied to an annunciator to switch between CDI/VLOC?  Is it driving an autopilot?

I have a KLN89B right now that feeds track to my king 525A HSI that drives my STEC 30.  Been looking at the 375 for a replacement.  Wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it or wait for Tailbeacon and just get by with less. 

Yes, I swapped it for a KLN-94.  The 375 is tied directly to my KFC150 but I’m still working out some kinks in it properly tracking the route.  For now I use heading mode which is connected to my Sandel. Again, I’m not a Garmin rep and not trying to sell this thing too hard but it would seem if you had any interest in having a WAAS navigator or getting ADS-B in traffic/WX built in, getting a tail beacon and then upgrading later is probably going cost a fair amount more.

I was all set to pull the trigger on the 375 but since the wait at the shop is 12 months I have time. Now with the new GTN335 I can get a new nav/com I'll probably do that. SInce the display heads are getting hard to find at a good price I'll probably just add a G5 as the display head. Side benefit is that with a button press it can also be an emergency attitude indicator.

-Robert

• 3 months later...

So many versions of traffic and weather...

With so many limits of what gets shown where...

It helps to have the electronics skills and memory skills of a Marauder to know and remember the differences...
it probably makes sense to read the sales documents closely... there is quite an options list that goes with each version of the same box...

The latest version of traffic includes trending data... weather shows cells and their relative speeds...

An our weather guy mentioned the other day some standard trend presentations are hardware specific...

There is a lot to know...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 months later...

I’m considering the 375 as a solution for a plane I’m in contract with that has a 430 non-waas, Aspen EFD 1000 and Century 2000.

1) If I understand the 375 function it is essentially a GTN 650 minus the radios, therefore the 430 gets relegated mostly for radio/comms?

I’m wondering as a ForeFlight user if I can:

1) upload flight plans from ForeFlight to the 375?

2) do changes on the 375 give a wireless option to update my ForeFlight flight plan like a flightstream 201 does?

3) Does the 510 need to be purchased to make these changes happen?

4) Do I still need my Jeppesen account at $360/year for updates on plates and if so, how does that information get into the 375?

Thank you all for your time and knowledge. 

Vince Hoffart

18 minutes ago, VHoffart said:

I’m considering the 375 as a solution for a plane I’m in contract with that has a 430 non-waas, Aspen EFD 1000 and Century 2000.

1) If I understand the 375 function it is essentially a GTN 650 minus the radios, therefore the 430 gets relegated mostly for radio/comms?

I’m wondering as a ForeFlight user if I can:

1) upload flight plans from ForeFlight to the 375?

2) do changes on the 375 give a wireless option to update my ForeFlight flight plan like a flightstream 201 does?

3) Does the 510 need to be purchased to make these changes happen?

4) Do I still need my Jeppesen account at $360/year for updates on plates and if so, how does that information get into the 375?

Vince Hoffart

Hi @VHoffart, to answer your questions:

1. Yes, both to and from Foreflight via bluetooth

2. Yes

3. No, the Garmin Connext that comes loaded on the 375 does two way flight plan transfer without anything else.  From my understanding, the only thing Flightstream lets you do that the 375 does not is update your databases over wireless.  I need to update the SD card using my laptop but that's been very easy.

4. I can't speak to Jeppesen since I don't buy that, but you do need an annual Garmin subscription for nav database updates (If you want to be IFR legal that is).

Edited by Davidv

Thank you David for the response. When you say Garmin subscription, which subscription are you referring to? Pilot? Do they have a nav service similar to Jeppesen? My former plane had a 530W and I updated that via cards that I updated using a Jeppesen online service then swapped out the cards monthly. 

Either jepp or garmin can now provide the required navdata as well as optional updates to terrain, airport directory, etc.

Youll still need an account with either of them to update at least navdata to be ifr legal.  Garmin seems to be a few bucks less for the same or more navdata coverage.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2020 at 6:42 AM, VHoffart said:

Vince Hoffart

I asked jep and they said it was about $425 a year for US charts (might have just been lower 48, don't know, didn't ask). Can anybody chime in on what Garmin charges? Gets there via SD card that plugs into any SD card reader.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, 59Moonster said:

I asked jep and they said it was about $425 a year for US charts (might have just been lower 48, don't know, didn't ask). Can anybody chime in on what Garmin charges? Gets there via SD card that plugs into any SD card reader.

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing

• Like 2

David, thank you for the report and I have one question. By any chance do you know if you can do the flight plan transfer via connect (Bluetooth) while at the same time show weather and traffic on ForeFlight via wifi from a stratus3 for example? I’m actually considering the GNC355 because I already have ADS-b in/out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Hector said:

David, thank you for the report and I have one question. By any chance do you know if you can do the flight plan transfer via connect (Bluetooth) while at the same time show weather and traffic on ForeFlight via wifi from a stratus3 for example? I’m actually considering the GNC355 because I already have ADS-b in/out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to have a stratus 3 but now get all of the ADS-B data from the 375.  This sounds like a question for ForeFlight on whether 2 Data sources can interface with the app at the same time.  

3 minutes ago, Davidv said:

I used to have a stratus 3 but now get all of the ADS-B data from the 375.  This sounds like a question for ForeFlight on whether 2 Data sources can interface with the app at the same time.  

I believe it can since I use WiFi from the Avidyne IDF550  to transfer flight plans and Bluetooth from the GDL52 to get XM weather on Foreflight.

The Stratus uses wifi and the Garmin 375 uses bluetooth so I think you'd be ok.

• Like 1