AOG KLQK (Clemson/Greenville, SC)

FloridaMan

Another thought. The slickstart is connected to that mag and the engine starts nearly immediately. That doesn’t seem consistent with the left magneto being bad. Thoughts on what to look at? Bad ignition switch? There is minimal rpm drop between right mag and both mags. Is there a different contact position for “start” than the L/Both for the left mag? Could it be the slickstart screwing up?

Edited by FloridaMan

Its hard from to tell from the video but it appears that cylinder 2 and 3 EGT start dropping on left mag and the engine is running on two cylinders.  I'd start by looking at those ignition leads and plugs. 

It was a bad coil. This was my third time in 7 years of Mooney ownership being stuck AOG away from home (if you don’t include that engine failure). KLQK might be the best place I’ve ever been broken down. I ended up going to college bars around Clemson for three nights in a row and I suspect that the total repair combined with what I spent might have been cheaper than if it had happened at home. The shop was able to repair my mag with a serviceable coil and I was on my way for less than $500. 

Edited by FloridaMan
  • Like 2

Dealt with that same issue last year.  My left mag was completely dead but yet the engine started up easily with the slickstart.  My starter turned the prop fast enough the right mag was able to fire the engine.  The issue in the mag was a broke capacitor wire.  Champion 6300 series mag on my Mooney Bravo. I would pull and have the mag inspected.

8 hours ago, FloridaMan said:

It was a bad coil. This was my third time in 7 years of Mooney ownership being stuck AOG away from home (if you don’t include that engine failure). KLQK might be the best place I’ve ever been broken down. I ended up going to college bars around Clemson for three nights in a row and I suspect that the total repair combined with what I spent might have been cheaper than if it had happened at home. The shop was able to repair my mag with a serviceable coil and I was on my way for less than $500. 

How many hours on that mag?