On the search for M20C

https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1489646&catid=20590
I’ve noticed this C on the market for a while now and even spoke with one of the owners. The only thing I’m apprehensive about is it being turbo normalized (Rayjay). My biggest question is about adding another system and potentially another maintenance cost that could be expensive and not worth it for my typical mission. Is this a legitimate concern? If the rayjay failed could you simply just remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/24/2019 at 1:31 PM, Huitt3106 said:

https://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?id=1489646&catid=20590
I’ve noticed this C on the market for a while now and even spoke with one of the owners. The only thing I’m apprehensive about is it being turbo normalized (Rayjay). My biggest question is about adding another system and potentially another maintenance cost that could be expensive and not worth it for my typical mission. Is this a legitimate concern? If the rayjay failed could you simply just remove it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The RayJay is a good system...  it is well developed...

It is supported by an existing company...

There are very few on carbed Mooneys to draw much experience from... Start a new thread to see who replies...

Like any aviation system, they can wear and cost money to OH... they can fail... they can thin the exhaust pipes that enter it...

Having a good CO monitor is a great way to sense exhaust leaks that may happen between maintenance checks...

Exhaust leaks with TC’d planes can be serious... cutting torch under the cowling serious.

Put it on the list of desirable or not desirable... if it’s not on your desirable list, leave that for somebody that does have it on their list...

what makes it desirable... flight above the oxygen levels, where air resistance is lower, but %hp is maintained using the turbo...

Running higher power levels at altitude comes at a cost...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

The RayJay is a good system...  it is well developed...

It is supported by an existing company...

There are very few on carbed Mooneys to draw much experience from... Start a new thread to see who replies...

Like any aviation system, they can wear and cost money to OH... they can fail... they can thin the exhaust pipes that enter it...

Having a good CO monitor is a great way to sense exhaust leaks that may happen between maintenance checks...

Exhaust leaks with TC’d planes can be serious... cutting torch under the cowling serious.

Put it on the list of desirable or not desirable... if it’s not on your desirable list, leave that for somebody that does have it on their list...

what makes it desirable... flight above the oxygen levels, where air resistance is lower, but %hp is maintained using the turbo...

Running higher power levels at altitude comes at a cost...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

That definitely makes sense to me.  It would only be an accessory to a plane that otherwise looks close to what I am looking for.  Being on the East Coast and my typical long flight not really needing to go as high as that would allow, I may leave it to someone else.