On the search for M20C

I know I've posted a couple times lately but have found the market to be less than ideal up to this point (out of my budget or have been sitting when pressing the seller for previous years flying times).  I want to purchase an M20C that is a 1965 or newer with at least an IFR gps.  If anybody is considering selling theirs or knows of one on the market or possibly coming to the market that is in good condition I'd be happy to speak with them.  I don't need new paint or new interior, just one that is has functional IFR platform (I want to get my IR in it) and is solid mechanically.  Any help is much appreciated!

It’s definitely a nice C model but seems overpriced and is out of my budget. That’s the speed bump I keep hitting. I’m in the mid 40s and up to $50k for a reasonable example on my budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Huitt3106 said:

It’s definitely a nice C model but seems overpriced and is out of my budget. That’s the speed bump I keep hitting. I’m in the mid 40s and up to $50k for a reasonable example on my budget.

I'm not sure it is possible to get what you want for the price you want to in pay today's market. A couple of years ago, yes. Now, probably not.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it is possible to get what you want for the price you want to in pay today's market. A couple of years ago, yes. Now, probably not.

You may be right, but at the same time I’m not looking for a top of the market example either. I’m just looking for a sound airframe/ engine combination with an old gps. I’m fine with older paint and no a/p.

I’m not sure I would limit my choices to 1965 or newer with your budget.  There is nothing wrong with the older models. But, here is something to consider:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2358771&s-type=aircraft

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

I know I've posted a couple times lately but have found the market to be less than ideal up to this point (out of my budget or have been sitting when pressing the seller for previous years flying times).  I want to purchase an M20C that is a 1965 or newer with at least an IFR gps.  If anybody is considering selling theirs or knows of one on the market or possibly coming to the market that is in good condition I'd be happy to speak with them.  I don't need new paint or new interior, just one that is has functional IFR platform (I want to get my IR in it) and is solid mechanically.  Any help is much appreciated!

My 1966 C model will be on the market soon or sooner depending on it fitting your needs. It is quite sound mechanically, has an older IFR gps and paint is not pretty but sounds like it may fit what you’re looking for. I have it opened up for its annual inspection and am redoing the tired soft materials in the interior. I have not put a spec sheet together yet but would be willing to talk with you about it if you’d like more information. E-mail is sabremech at gmail.com.

Thank you,

David

I’m not sure I would limit my choices to 1965 or newer with your budget.  There is nothing wrong with the older models. But, here is something to consider:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20C&listing_id=2358771&s-type=aircraft

I’ve tried getting in touch with that person but haven’t received a response yet. I may try calling tomorrow.

My 1966 C model will be on the market soon or sooner depending on it fitting your needs. It is quite sound mechanically, has an older IFR gps and paint is not pretty but sounds like it may fit what you’re looking for. I have it opened up for its annual inspection and am redoing the tired soft materials in the interior. I have not put a spec sheet together yet but would be willing to talk with you about it if you’d like more information. E-mail is sabremech at gmail.com.
Thank you,
David

I’ve sent you an email!

65s came with a handful of nice to haves...

It was a major refresh to get the handful...

So if all things being equal, 65 and newer is slightly more desirable...

Those handful of things can be added to the older models... except the shape of the windows...

Best regards,

-a-

I saw a '64 E model for sale in Georgia for $38. It's listed on barnstormers. Besides the rear window, I don't know of a major difference with '65 models. 

I saw that one too and am working on getting more information. It seems like a good price. Apparently the logs prior to 1985 are missing which is somewhat concerning though the seller was straight forward about it. I think the way the lower cowl is attached is different. Screws vs quicker fasteners I think though I could be completely wrong.

65s came with a handful of nice to haves...
It was a major refresh to get the handful...
So if all things being equal, 65 and newer is slightly more desirable...
Those handful of things can be added to the older models... except the shape of the windows...
Best regards,
-a-

What in specific would you say are the biggest differences on 65 and newer (outside of the windows)? Thanks!

There is a list around here that has year by year changes...

The hardware changes were nice, stainless steal updates make them even better...

The fuel strainer and location were my strongest selling points... not sure what year that actually happened...

Find the list... it was possibly MAPA related...

It comes up in conversation often...

Best regards,

-a-

I was talking about more real estate today and my wife reminded me todays market is not the time to be buying anything. Have to agree with her, prices on just avout everything are HOT.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was talking about more real estate today and my wife reminded me todays market is not the time to be buying anything. Have to agree with her, prices on just avout everything are HOT.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I don’t disagree with you, we lucked out on a home purchase last year and got a really good deal. This year a similar home is going for $50k more than we paid (I’m in southern VA where home prices are reasonable). I have found that the aircraft which aren’t top of the market are still bringing a reasonable price (higher than 3 years ago still) and that’s where I’m likely heading for a purchase. The top 25% of the quality seems to be making up 75% of the price increases. I know the mindset is to buy the best examples of the aircraft you want, but I cannot see paying the prices or anywhere near what some people are asking. It does appear though that the airplanes on the market that are asking the really high prices are sitting for quite a while. I’ve noticed a few that have been on the market for over a month or more and are steadily having to drop their asking price.

• Like 1

My advice to a discriminating buyer is to be ready with cash when the right plane at the right price comes along.
I missed out on two before I figured that rule out

The best advice! I’ve been sitting on the cash for this purchase just waiting. It seemed when I didn’t have the cash there were several at a good price and matching my desires. Now, not so much luck.

18 hours ago, Huitt3106 said:

The best advice! I’ve been sitting on the cash for this purchase just waiting. It seemed when I didn’t have the cash there were several at a good price and matching my desires. Now, not so much luck.

They will come back around. They seem to come to market in bunches. Sit tight and keep that cash ready.

• Like 3

If you aren't set on a C, my friend has an E for sale. I've been flying it for the last 1.5 years since he's working out of the country. Currently listed at $56k, but you might be able to negotiate with him. I was gonna send you the trade a plane link, but looks like it expired. 

5 minutes ago, KaiGywer said:

If you aren't set on a C, my friend has an E for sale. I've been flying it for the last 1.5 years since he's working out of the country. Currently listed at $56k, but you might be able to negotiate with him. I was gonna send you the trade a plane link, but looks like it expired. 

I wouldn't say I'm dead set on a C, just most of what I've been looking at the C fits my budget better.  Do you know any details on it such as model year, TSMOH, avionics, tank sealing timeframe, etc?  Thanks

Edited by Huitt3106
forgot something

44 minutes ago, Huitt3106 said:

I wouldn't say I'm dead set on a C, just most of what I've been looking at the C fits my budget better.  Do you know any details on it such as model year, TSMOH, avionics, tank sealing timeframe, etc?  Thanks

1974 Mooney M20E
3527 TTAF / 1691 SMOH (subject to change as airplane is flying) Compressions - #1 74/80 #2 76/80 #3 70/80 #4 68/80
Last annual 5/2019. ELT, IFR, XPDR checks due 2/2020

Terra TMA230 audio panel

Bendix/King KLN89B IFR GPS

Nav/Comm 1 - Narco MK12E

Nav/Comm 2 – King KX 175B

Narco DME 890
King KT78 transponder
4 place intercom, dual PTT
Extensive annual completed 5/2019. Removed recurrent AD, new tail pipe and more. Copy available on request. Paint/leather interior 2014.

Send me a private message with your email and I’ll get you in touch with the owner and I can send you photos if you’re interested.