G1000 upgrade possibilities? M20TN

Hey all, I’m absolutely confused by this whole discussion. I’ve never owned a plane, just been flying them for a while, and I’m definitely not an A&P. I found an ‘08 type S acclaim which seems to have real potential. G1000 WAAS/SVT panel which is obviously very capable but also getting kind of long in the tooth. I’m not looking to upgrade from the G1000 at this time, but right now I can’t even figure out if doing so is a legal option. I’ve searched and read about Mooney owning the STC, abandoning the G1000 planes, etc. Is an upgrade to the G1000 even possible, does all the hassle come from the GX airplanes or does it apply to everything that rolled off the line with a G1000 panel? Should I stay away from everything G1000?? I’d like to plan on keeping this plane for several years going forward, does a G1000 lock me in to last gen technology forever?

Any meaningful input or help would be appreciated, dumb it down for me and I’ll do my best to keep up. Thanks.

It's really simple. With a non G1000 system can upgrade however you want with out approval of Mooney but generally with as anything STC'd for your airframe.

Not so with G1000 since it's apart of the TCDS. Since it's part of the TCDS Mooney certified it that way and only that way. Nobody at this time has any STC'S for G1000 based planes. Second most important point is that eventhough the Avionics manufacturer, Garmin, has a well defined upgrade path for G1000 users including the new Nxi suite going into current production, these are off limits to older airframes till the TCDS holder, Mooney, does the additional engineering to work with Garmin to get newer s/w and h/w tested and certified for the older airframes. I.e. all upgrades must come through Mooney's approval process to update the TCDS. We're dependent on Mooney.

History shows us Mooney got through one significant upgrade from Non-waas to waas that took several years (with some other minor upgrades for Ads/b). Your guess is as good as anyone's if and when Mooney will provide a Nxi upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Okay, that helps significantly. Thank you.

So now I win the powerball and just have to have the latest garmin whatever because the icons are prettier and it converts airframe ice into hot fudge sundaes.

Now I’m really going to demonstrate my ignorance- Couldn’t I upgrade it via field approval, 337, or worst case have “experimental” painted on the side and have the FAA come by to deem it airworthy as a “homebuilt”?

I agree the ROI is significantly against me regardless, but what I’m trying to figure out is if ten years down the road I’ll be stuck with 8 track style avionics and the associated hit to potential resale etc. I’m not looking to upgrade it, just trying to figure out if doing so is even an option. At this point the answer seems to be “not yet”. Is that correct?

3 hours ago, kortopates said:

It's really simple. With a non G1000 system can upgrade however you want with out approval of Mooney but generally with as anything STC'd for your airframe.

Not so with G1000 since it's apart of the TCDS. Since it's part of the TCDS Mooney certified it that way and only that way. Nobody at this time has any STC'S for G1000 based planes. Second most important point is that eventhough the Avionics manufacturer, Garmin, has a well defined upgrade path for G1000 users including the new Nxi suite going into current production, these are off limits to older airframes till the TCDS holder, Mooney, does the additional engineering to work with Garmin to get newer s/w and h/w tested and certified for the older airframes. I.e. all upgrades must come through Mooney's approval process to update the TCDS. We're dependent on Mooney.

History shows us Mooney got through one significant upgrade from Non-waas to waas that took several years (with some other minor upgrades for Ads/b). Your guess is as good as anyone's if and when Mooney will provide a Nxi upgrade.

Paul and Art nailed it.  I can confirm from Mooney that upgrading a non-G1000 cockpit to one with any variant of the G1000 is not an option.  The G1000 airplanes are type-certified from the factory.  If you're looking for a G1000-equipped airplane - especially one with WAAS, VNAV, Synthetic Vision (typically, the GDU1044 displays) - you're better off getting a 2007'ish model or later with these features already onboard.

I can't see how you'd think a panel in this configuration, sans a G1000 Nxi, would be considered long in the tooth.  I'm a technology guy and understand how quickly things become obsolete in the tech world, but the tech you'll find in an '08 or later Ovation or Acclaim is still very current - more so than the large majority of GA airplanes today, and will serve you for many years...should you decide to keep it as your "forever" airplane.  You'd be better off looking at a non-G1000 airplane altogether, and upgrading to a G500 TXi or other suitable PFD/MFD combo.  You'll have more upgrade choices, and will experience just as robust - if not better - performance than many of the best G1000-equipped airplanes.  I've found this to be true, especially after spending quite a bit of time behind Acclaim and Ovation G1000 panels, and owning a G500-equipped Ovation.  Just an opinion...

Steve

• Like 1

IF you end up in a G1000 Mooney, you'd be wise to hold out for one with WAAS and the GFC700 as at least you'll have the best autopilot and ability to fly all approaches. There may or may not be an upgrade path from there, but you'll likely be just fine with that kit. ADS-B might still be sub-optimal, though...ie no IN on the G1000.

Budget issues aside (I'm flying a '77 for a reason!), I'm glad I don't have a G1000 in anything. I got a double WAAS upgrade for $3300 in 2007 and shudder at the costs for G1000 today, if you can even do it. You have to scrounge up used units since Garmin shut the production line down. It looks like I can install a brand new PFD/MFD, backup, AND autopilot soon for less than the cost of a WAAS upgrade in the G1000.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, FreightDog said:

Now I’m really going to demonstrate my ignorance- Couldn’t I upgrade it via field approval, 337, or worst case have “experimental” painted on the side and have the FAA come by to deem it airworthy as a “homebuilt”?

Unfortunately.... No

Joe I agree Mooney’s attitude towards upgrading our GX planes is disgusting at best, since mine has the WAAS and ADSB upgrades I’m ok, I feel for those rummaging around for the WAAS kits which must be discouraging.