Insuring multiple planes

MIm20c

For those who short/long term have insured multiple planes with a single named pilot do you sometimes get a discount?

It appears to me 3-4 pilots sharing one plane would have higher risk than one pilot flying two IF he flies enough in both to stay current. 

Let’s say one individual owns a bravo and ovation and is flying 200 hrs per year. The hangar next door has a bravo partnership where 4 people fly a total of 200 hrs per year. Would/should the individual pay double the rate?

Yea, I asked my car insurance company if I get a discount if I have multiple vehicles. After all I can only drive one at a time. good luck with that!

But if your garage collapses, they all go.
I have a friend whose wife hit their other car...I got a good laugh when he told me.

Tom

Back in the eighties I was working on my plane and had the car parked behind the wing. After a few hours I thought I should start the engine to charge the battery. I was listening to the car radio. I reached in the window and turned the key. It started right up, it was in gear!

The car drove under the wing lifting the wing about two feet. 

Does the car insurance cover this? NO!

Does the airplane insurance cover this? NO!

So, at the airport, always park your car behind someone Else’s airplane!

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Back in the eighties I was working on my plane and had the car parked behind the wing. After a few hours I thought I should start the engine to charge the battery. I was listening to the car radio. I reached in the window and turned the key. It started right up, it was in gear!

The car drove under the wing lifting the wing about two feet. 

Does the car insurance cover this? NO!

Does the airplane insurance cover this? NO!

So, at the airport, always park your car behind someone Else’s airplane!

and thats why unless you have a jeep youdont disable the neutral safety switch.  

In my jeep I more than once pulled myself out of a waterhole with the starter so I didnt get my feet wet when getting out to attach the winch.

4 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

In my jeep I more than once pulled myself out of a waterhole with the starter so I didnt get my feet wet when getting out to attach the winch.

It was a 1981 Datsun 280ZX. It didn’t have a neutral safety switch. 

It makes a great wedge to drive under the plane! If the flap wouldn’t have caught on the headlight cutout, there wouldn’t have been any damage to the plane. The flap hinge rode up the hood. It made quite a crease on the hood.

I ordered a new flap from Mooney and a few days later I was talking to a mechanic and he said that mine could be reskinned for about half the price. So I called Mooney and canceled the order. The mechanic ordered the skins from Mooney. They charged him for the skins, but sent a whole flap, the one I ordered and then canceled. So I got a new flap for the price of skins and the mechanic didn’t charge me anything, because he didn’t do anything!

I caught a lot of breaks as a kid!

I used the car for work and spun out in the snow in the mountains a few times. By the time I got around to getting the car fixed I had three different insurance claims on the car. The body shop said they would take care of the hood along with the other claims. 

The out of pocket for the whole incident was about $400.

You can’t buy a rivet from Mooney these days for that.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 3:09 PM, TheTurtle said:

Also known as the first application of a hybrid drive train...

It also works with Firebirds... when the gas engine runs out of juice (ignition, or gasoline), the electric motor gets it to a safe parking area... could be a half mile away.  :)

The sensor is behind the clutch pedal... just unplug...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

There was one carrier that offered an intentional discount on this several years ago, but they've since gone out of business.

When you get to corporate aircraft fleets, you'll see some manual discounting of rates to try to win the business.

In light GA you won't see this except in very rare cases.  Especially with how cheap rates have been the past several years.