What's the Probability?

donkaye

I've known Larry Brown, who also monitors this list, since we did his instrument rating many years ago.  Today the seemingly impossible happened.  I was headed to Pueblo on the way to Garmin and Oshkosh.  I later found out he was headed to Flagstaff.  At any rate somewhere over Nevada, I got a traffic alert regarding traffic 500 feet above me who was about to cross over me.  I looked up and saw a Mooney fly right over me.   I was at 15,000 IFR and Larry was at 15,500.  Since Larry had changed planes since the instrument rating, I didn't immediately recognized his number on the GTN 750 traffic page, but Larry recognized mine.  His plane certainly looked good.

Amazing!

• Like 13

I heard Don check in with center and recognized his voice and N number. I expanded my ADSB range and found him over 50 miles away. I watched our tracks converge for probably a hundred miles until he crossed right in front of me and 500 feet lower.

• Like 9

The world is much smaller with a Mooney...

MSers might be only 500’ away some times...

Interesting memory thing... you may not remember an MSer’s name, but his voice might be very recognizable...

When it’s Alan, everyone will recognize his voice and remember his name...  that recording is coming up on a year old... :)

A high percentage of active Mooney pilots are MSers...

Really cool to run into an MSer on frequency...  extra points for that!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Cool story.  A buddy of mine is fond of saying "It's a small world, but I'd hate to have to paint it".

There are so few small aircraft in the air most of the time in my experience, I'm not surprised you would encounter other MS-ers.

Last August while flying Mooney 2903L on freq. with Denver center, I was warned, "Caution- similar call sign on frequency, Mooney 2905L."   That was cool.

Last Friday I flew down to KARB to visit family. Little did I know that the Yooper Rocketman had just departed KARB back toward me as I was headed down. We apparently were abeam each other near Mt Pleasant, MI but he was 10,000 feet higher while Stylin' and Profilin' in his Ric Flair Jetprop aeroplane. Everytime I see or hear a Mooney I ponder if they are one of the forum creatures. I should note, we landed at the exact same time according to Flightaware (or at least dropped off the ADS-B). He just happened to takeoff an hour after I did...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tigers2007 said:

Last Friday I flew down to KARB to visit family. Little did I know that the Yooper Rocketman had just departed KARB back toward me as I was headed down. We apparently were abeam each other near Mt Pleasant, MI but he was 10,000 feet higher while Stylin' and Profilin' in his Ric Flair Jetprop aeroplane. Everytime I see or hear a Mooney I ponder if they are one of the forum creatures. I should note, we landed at the exact same time according to Flightaware (or at least dropped off the ADS-B). He just happened to takeoff an hour after I did...

Ed, 

Wish I had known you were below me.  I added your N number to your name in my phone contact list so next time I hear a Mooney on frequency I can look to see if it’s you!!! 

And as far as the speed, I have to fly a lot longer trips to put the same hours in the logbook (at considerable more cost).  It’s all a matter of prospective.  

Tom

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donkaye said:

I've known Larry Brown, who also monitors this list, since we did his instrument rating many years ago.  Today the seemingly impossible happened.  I was headed to Pueblo on the way to Garmin and Oshkosh.  I later found out he was headed to Flagstaff.  At any rate somewhere over Nevada, I got a traffic alert regarding traffic 500 feet above me who was about to cross over me.  I looked up and saw a Mooney fly right over me.   I was at 15,000 IFR and Larry was at 15,500.  Since Larry had changed planes since the instrument rating, I didn't immediately recognized his number on the GTN 750 traffic page, but Larry recognized mine.  His plane certainly looked good.

Amazing!

And Don,

I hope to meet you at Oshkosh.  I’ve been an  admirer of you and your Mooney knowledge for far longer than most on this forum.  Been watching and learning from your posts here and on a previous Mooney Forum since 1996.  

Tom

• Like 1

I heard the buyer of my old airplane on the radio once, wanted to chat but was dissuaded from doing so by my companion.  My little Cessna 150 seems to love mountains.  That guy moved it to Oregon, and another owner has since moved it to Tennessee.