Overhauling Rajay Turbo

Where can I send RJ4010 Waste gate, RJ4002-21 Exhaust stack, RJ4002-41 Exhaust stack and RJ4013 air inlet assy for overhauling/fixing ?

I saw in my logbook that Aerospace welding used to overhauled the waste gate and exhaust stack back in 2007 but I just called them and they no longer do this.

• Like 1

This is a tough problem since you need a welding jig to make these parts.  Making the jig costs as much as making the parts, but then you can make all the parts you need (under owner fabricated parts, without PMA and for your airplane only).  Ray Hussman made parts for me back in the 2004-2007 time frame.  He had the original RaJay welding jigs but became seriously ill.  

You could use a salvage engine block for some of the jigging.  I also recall that some of the stainless exhaust pipe stock are made of odd radiuses which may be difficult to obtain.  Check with the various welders and see what they may be able to do.

John Breda

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Net said:

Where can I send RJ4010 Waste gate, RJ4002-21 Exhaust stack, RJ4002-41 Exhaust stack and RJ4013 air inlet assy for overhauling/fixing ?

I saw in my logbook that Aerospace welding used to overhauled the waste gate and exhaust stack back in 2007 but I just called them and they no longer do this.

I'll look at my logs and see who did it for me about 15 years ago.

• Like 1

Also, you do not want to "overhaul" the wastegate which was originally made of exhaust tube stock.  The two systems I rebuilt had waste-gates made from much heavier material.  You will want to do this since the original material twists and bends with heat.

John Breda

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Also, you do not want to "overhaul" the wastegate which was originally made of exhaust tube stock.  The two systems I rebuilt had waste-gates made from much heavier material.  You will want to do this since the original material twists and bends with heat.

John Breda

Do you mean I should make a waste gate using owner produced part ? What is a reasonable price for doing this ?

Hi Guys,

Acorn Welding is the RAJAY Authorized Service Center for exhausts and waste gate repairs/overhauls.  They have the RJ4010 and RJ4002-41 tooling and drawings provided to them by RAJAY. They also have everything needed to work on the RJ4013.

You can get the shipping information from their website at www.acornwelding.com

Tom

Edited by tomgo2
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, tomgo2 said:

Hi Guys,

Acorn Welding is the RAJAY Authorized Service Center for exhausts and waste gate repairs/overhauls.  They have the RJ4010 and RJ4002-41 tooling and drawings provided to them by RAJAY. They also have everything needed to work on the RJ4013.

You can get the shipping information from their website at www.acornwelding.com

Tom

Thank you Tom. 

1 minute ago, MIm20c said:

Mine was done by customaircraft.com back in 2013. The workmanship and fit is top shelf but the cost was right up there. Don’t be surprised if they ask you to sit down before reading the invoice :)

Can you tell me the cost you paid for this ?

Mine was done by customaircraft.com back in 2013. The workmanship and fit is top shelf but the cost was right up there. Don’t be surprised if they ask you to sit down before reading the invoice

Clinton at CustomAircraft does awesome work - you won't find any better. The best part for me is that they are local to me.

But I don't typically rave about them here because they gave up there repair station status some years ago when the FAA demanded their repair stations to physically separate premises used for experimental vs certified work. Most could not afford the added overhead. So you can't get FAA return to service paperwork back.

I've never found them to be expensive though; especially for what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Net said:

Can you tell me the cost you paid for this ?

It was around $6k for everything including wastegate, tip to tail if you will.  Keep in mind this was funded by the PO so it might have been embellished a little. 

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

I've never found them to be expensive though; especially for what they do.

No, in aviation terms not too bad. No complaints with my very hard to fit system.