Dynon STC AML expanded to 592 single models

44 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

I was considering the Dynon in my Bonanza , I spoke to Dynon last year at Sun n Fun , and they said as an IA that they would Give me a 10% discount on the hardware , When I called them last month , the 10% was not happening , So I am probably going with the Garmin setup....  The Garmin is about 20% more , But the autopilot is supposed to be a lot better ,  and the Garmin will add more value to the aircraft...  If you consider the Dynon install , you should definitely check out Jesse's shop down in Fla. ,  I was really impressed when I stopped in last year , and as busy as Jesse is , he still took time to spend with me , and we did some business...  Keep in mind that Jesse has been in the experimental business for quite some time , and is more than familiar with the Dynon products...  There is always something "interesting" happening down there ...

Thanks for the kind words, Alan. I would certainly not put the Garmin auto pilot in the “a lot better” category. The Garmin auto pilot is great,  but not perfect. I would describe the Dynon as exactly the same. I would say they are equal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alan Fox said:

...and the Garmin will add more value to the [bonanza] aircraft...  

You see Alan, unlike Bonanzas, Mooneys have inherent value and don't need Garmin or anyone else. In fact Mooneys bring value to Garmin!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bob865 said:

I'll be honest I didn't hit the google box to ask, but since this is a pretty open forum on the Dynon I'll ask anyway.  Can a Garmin G5 be used as the backup for the Dynon?

A few months ago I asked the question if the D-10A had to be the backup attitude indicator or if another option could be used.  The answer was that per the STC, the Dynon D-10A was required as the backup.  Since that time they have added that question in the FAQ section of the website.  Based on that information, my answer would be no for the G5. 

Not an avionics guy or an IA.

• Like 1

The Skyview system requires the D10A specifically as the independent backup. Whether a G5 can be in the plane or not as well as the Skyview and D10A would require more reading of both installation manuals. The D10A is absolutely required.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jesse Saint said:

That’s right. I forgot the STC. 

It looks like Dynon has backed off the attempt to increase the stc cost to $3.5-4K.  I wonder if there will be a separate stc cost for the AP when its available?  That on top of opening the plane back up to install the AP separately will significantly increase the total cost. 

On 7/16/2019 at 6:01 PM, Jesse Saint said:

It all depends on what options you want. A full-in price for a single 10" system in a 172 with Engine, ADS-B and auto pilot is $27,838. The $40-50,000 number is with new IFD navigator, Audio Panel, etc. The price will be similar for the Mooney as it is for the 172 once the Auto pilot is available. Without the auto pilot it's $23,678.When you add a Navigator and harnesses and installation, you can add $12-15,000 or more to the price. Add an Audio Panel and backup COM or Dynon COM and you add another $4,000 or more with harnesses and installation. Those that already have adequate radio stacks are in the 20's. Those that already have an engine monitor and ADS-B, they'll be under right around or under $20,000. You can get the basic 7" system, installed, for under $16,000, 10" for under $17,000.

Where does it say the $40K-$50K includes the new IFD navigator. On the Dynon Bonanza example price list it’s $45K and doesn’t show one. 

11 hours ago, Jesse Saint said:

The D10A is absolutely required.

That's ashame.  The D10A looks so dated.  It hasn't changed since it came out circa 2004.  If I'm spending $40k on a sophisticated and advanced EFIS system like the Skyview I would want an equally sophisticated looking back up AI.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 9:03 AM, PTK said:

You see Alan, unlike Bonanzas, Mooneys have inherent value and don't need Garmin or anyone else. In fact Mooneys bring value to Garmin!

Just remember Pete , Someday your Mooney will grow up to be as fast , and carry as much as my Bonanza.....

I am patiently waiting for the autopilot to be approved for the Mooney.  As I am just coming out of a very extensive annual and some upgrades, my wallet can't support more right now.  For 2020 my main project will be a new paint job.  Hopefully the autopilot will be approved by 2021 and then this is a rough draft of what I am thinking for my 68 M20F.

Dream Panel Picture Dynon HDX Lynx 8.JPG

I'll have to go look again, but I don't think it was a huge deal to hook it up to a Truetrack II    It is just two wires.   Left and right.   Good move allowing the 7" screens on the AML.   Ideally my idea is to start with a 7" in the the Comm stack for Engine Monitor and Transponder/ADSB out with back up 6 pack.  The 10" does not leave enough room for legacy radios.   Leaving the primary steam stuff in place.

https://www.dynoncertified.com/pdfs/AMLPlus-Price-sheet.pdf

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, Jesse Saint said:

Dynon Avionics just announced this morning that their SkyView HDX AML has been expanded to include 592 different single engine airplanes, from a Luscombe to a Cessna 210, including Beechcraft, Mooney, Piper, Cessna, Maule, etc. single engine models. The STC price is a flat $2,000 per airplane. The equipment cost is unchanged from their experimental prices. The auto pilot will be added to more models as they do the engineering for them, but everything except the auto pilot is available now for all of these models. For those going to Oshkosh, stop by the Dynon booth to see, and touch these great systems, or go to www.dynoncertified.com for more details. The basic system starts at $9,630 with the STC plus installation. With installation at our shop (a Dynon authorized installation center), a 7” single system starts at $15,500 with installation or $16,800 for a 10” basic system. These are basically out-the-door prices. You can add engine monitor, ads-b out, ads-b in, Com radio and a second or third screen. An auto pilot can be added as it is developed for your model. Drop me an email at jesse@saintaviation.com for a price sheet. 

The STC fee is a one-time charge per airplane for whatever options you decide to install, both now and add-ons down the road. The STC has been issued, and the PMA should come in the next few days. 

Another affordable glass panel option is now available for your single engine plane.

Jesse,

Put me down for the Dynon and can you pre-wire the auto pilot to save time and cost when the STC comes out? I am ready to order the SkyView today it is amazing. 

Jesse,  you seem to be the subject matter expert on this system.  I have 2 questions for you about the certified HDX. 1) Will I be able to display ADS-B data from my Lynx on the HDX or will I have to used the Dynon ADS-B in to get that information displayed.  2) With the certified engine information system, is it possible to have a user set limit in addition to the mandatory POH limits?  Example if I was to want the system to warn me at a lower CHT than the POH says.

Thanks in advance.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:03 AM, Jesse Saint said:

Dynon Avionics just announced this morning that their SkyView HDX AML has been expanded to include 592 different single engine airplanes, from a Luscombe to a Cessna 210, including Beechcraft, Mooney, Piper, Cessna, Maule, etc. single engine models. The STC price is a flat $2,000 per airplane. The equipment cost is unchanged from their experimental prices. The auto pilot will be added to more models as they do the engineering for them, but everything except the auto pilot is available now for all of these models. For those going to Oshkosh, stop by the Dynon booth to see, and touch these great systems, or go to www.dynoncertified.com for more details. The basic system starts at $9,630 with the STC plus installation. With installation at our shop (a Dynon authorized installation center), a 7” single system starts at $15,500 with installation or $16,800 for a 10” basic system. These are basically out-the-door prices. You can add engine monitor, ads-b out, ads-b in, Com radio and a second or third screen. An auto pilot can be added as it is developed for your model. Drop me an email at jesse@saintaviation.com for a price sheet. 

The STC fee is a one-time charge per airplane for whatever options you decide to install, both now and add-ons down the road. The STC has been issued, and the PMA should come in the next few days. 

Another affordable glass panel option is now available for your single engine plane.

I have a question.  Can this be done in stages.  Esp considering right now I couldn't get your autopilot anyway until it is certified - but also for reasons of budgeting to this in stages - could an owner get the HDX display etc, and have it communicate with (and therefore drive) a legacy autopilot (say my KFC200) and go with that for a while...then later perhaps go with the dynon autopilot after the credit card recovers?

On 7/20/2019 at 12:23 PM, MilitaryAV8R said:

Jesse,  you seem to be the subject matter expert on this system.  I have 2 questions for you about the certified HDX. 1) Will I be able to display ADS-B data from my Lynx on the HDX or will I have to used the Dynon ADS-B in to get that information displayed.  2) With the certified engine information system, is it possible to have a user set limit in addition to the mandatory POH limits?  Example if I was to want the system to warn me at a lower CHT than the POH says.

Thanks in advance.

1. The HDX requires the Dynon ADS-B receiver to display ADS-B weather & traffic. 

2. The STC requires the same limits as the POH for the engine instruments. 

To Aviatoreb: You can do it in stages, but it won’t talk to the KFC200. The minimum requirement is the basic package as described on Dynon’s price list, 1 screen, battery, ADAHRS, Magnetometer, D10A and STC. You can add, not or later, engine monitor, ads-b in, ads-b out, com radio, second or third screen and auto pilot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jesse Saint said:

1. The HDX requires the Dynon ADS-B receiver to display ADS-B weather & traffic. 

Not withstanding the limits of the STC.....  Why do I think a serial connection to a Stratux and the proper baud settings will send the ADSB In information over to the HDX screen just fine.

18 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Not withstanding the limits of the STC.....  Why do I think a serial connection to a Stratux and the proper baud settings will send the ADSB In information over to the HDX screen just fine.

Because you've been talking to those kooky experimental people again?

21 minutes ago, Yetti said:

It might work, but there just as easily could be a handshake, version check or something, that ensures the data is from the approved source.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Will not work on HDX. Their ADS-B devices has another RS232 protocol than stratux.

1 hour ago, Steve W said:

Because you've been talking to those kooky experimental people again?

Because I work for a company that integrates control protocols and stores them and visualizes them.   Serial is TX RX and GND.   

5 minutes ago, ploucandco said:

Will not work on HDX. Their ADS-B devices has another RS232 protocol than stratux.

Is that a challenge?

This is my favorite one these days.   Lives on any X device and changes lots of base instruments/IIoT and or protocol to another protocol.   Has storage and security.

https://dianomic.com/platform/foglamp/