Radio comm noise after annual

• 2 weeks later...

4.5 hours today to pull lower cowl and pull alternator and put everything all back together.   Cowl takes the lion’s share of time.  Alternator remove, open, replace rectifier, check brushes, reinstall alternator took about 45 minutes.   If you have many hours on your alternator, I recommend replacing brushes at this point.  Mine looked lightly worn.

will test fly Monday.   I hope this solves the problem like the OPer.

Check all the grounds from engine to airframe, AND airframe to Instrument panel...

It is very possible the instrument panel can be poorly grounded, if you have rubber vibration mounts...

Many grounds break down or go MIA over the years... or they look good, but have some corrosion getting in the way of doing their job...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Well, I am at the hangar and started and the engine side and checked continuity for ground and worked my way back to the panel.  All ok.  Then I found that the main power cable from the alternator to the bus bar had a loose connection at the breaker.    I tightened that and then found a loose ground where the jpi was grounded.   I flipped the master and now voltage reading on jpi is same as the cigarette plug.   Yay!

i haven’t flown it yet, but I’m confident this solved the problem.    I guess I should have thoroughly trouble shot this from the beginning!

• Like 2

Flew today and rock solid stable voltage and also noticed less/no RF noise.   My strike finder doesn’t have the crazy phantom strikes anymore either.   All seems good for now, except I found that now my left fuel tank sprang another leak I’ll have to address soon.  Oh well. 

• Like 1