CiES Fuel Senders and Existing Resistive Gauges

On 7/15/2019 at 7:11 PM, fuellevel said:

So a year ago the Cessna Cardinal group got ahold of us and asked if there was any way to support the existing analog gauges.  

Luck for them we had a Cardinal based on an airport 1/2 mile from our facility.   We made this work to a level I was actually very happy with

however it took quite a bit of effort to get there and a 337 approval.    That solution and 337  now circulates in the Cardinal Club 

this could be done with Mooney C and Mooney F but it takes an organized contingent to get accomplished 

the result looks like the tachometer on a new Mustang where the gauge sweeps upon power application and settles on a value in the tank (this eliminated the going up vs going down hysteresis of the analog gauge.     This method cured a lot of issues and was again far better than our earlier attempts.   

The process wasn't for the faint of heart. 

I will publish what they did to see if there are similarly committed people on Mooney space 

Scott

Scott, I'd gladly purchase the Aerospace Logic gauge to do the Cies upgrade, but I literally have no where to put the gauge on my panel.  Us Mooney owners are in a bind with the cramped quarters we have on our panels.  A $12,000 JPI EDM 900 install with Cies senders is my future, but in these vintage aircraft needing accurate fuel readings, that's something a lot of folks just don't want to do.  Right now, my only alternative--if I'm going to use the FL202D gauge--is to remove my ADF,  and put the Aerospace Logic gauge in that location.  While I never use the old ADF, its just nice to know it's there as another option for radio nav.

As far as getting a solution for the Mooney and a 337 approval goes, I'm in Florida, and working with you guys on a project like this is probably unfeasible.  I sure wish someone in your area with a Mooney might step up and go for it.  It certainly would make your senders more desirable and more useful.

This is a challenge I'd certainly like to take on.  With cheap, small microprocessors, that can read PWM, and then, via a digital potentiometer, output variable resistance, I can't imagine why a simple, small converter can't be brought to fruition--but then, I'm a dentist...what do I know?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Toothdok50 said:

Scott, I'd gladly purchase the Aerospace Logic gauge to do the Cies upgrade, but I literally have no where to put the gauge on my panel.  Us Mooney owners are in a bind with the cramped quarters we have on our panels.  A $12,000 JPI EDM 900 install with Cies senders is my future, but in these vintage aircraft needing accurate fuel readings, that's something a lot of folks just don't want to do.  Right now, my only alternative--if I'm going to use the FL202D gauge--is to remove my ADF,  and put the Aerospace Logic gauge in that location.  While I never use the old ADF, its just nice to know it's there as another option for radio nav.

As far as getting a solution for the Mooney and a 337 approval goes, I'm in Florida, and working with you guys on a project like this is probably unfeasible.  I sure wish someone in your area with a Mooney might step up and go for it.  It certainly would make your senders more desirable and more useful.

This is a challenge I'd certainly like to take on.  With cheap, small microprocessors, that can read PWM, and then, via a digital potentiometer, output variable resistance, I can't imagine why a simple, small converter can't be brought to fruition--but then, I'm a dentist...what do I know?

While you figure out the long term goals of your IP...

Moose posted this yesterday...  it may be of interest...?

-a-

7 hours ago, fuellevel said:

Well we are working with the GM tiny brushless gauge drivers that were prevalent in GM cars.    While we can make this work - and pretty neat. 

Trying to figure out how to get it approved..     

too soon for development lab pics?

-a-

Well Lance @ CiES  has gotten one to work   I want him to print new needles (as we can print vs stamp metal)  This will be a Cessna example   but might be a worthwhile dip in the water. 

I think it can be done for a reasonable price   - not free   but  an alternative to the aerospace logic gauge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1