Hangar Fans (Bigass vs Macroair)

Anyone have experience with the big hangar fans?  Looking at a Bigass fan and a Macroair fan.  I hear that the Macroair fan is the newer technology and is more reliable.  There are no catalog prices, so I have to get a quote for each vendor which is curious.  It makes sizing vs budget exercises somewhat difficult.  A neighbor has a 16ft diamater one that really puts out the air. 

Anyone have leads on a used one for sale?

Are they worth the money?

Any other solutions that are better?

Thanks,

11 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

Joe - do you know the size of your fan/hangar space?  

We have two spaces:

70' W x45' D (20' ceiling)   with one 14' Basic 6 BAF-   This fan is more than adequate considering the space.   Air Flow can be felt throughout the space.

70' W x90' D (20' ceiling)  with two 14' Basic 6 BAF  - These fans are more than adequate considering the space.   They are placed side by side in the front of the hangar because that's where my guys work.   Essentially these two fans work the same size space as the one fan in the first hangar.      I probably would of bought only one for this hangar but I moved these from a leased location when I built my own facilities.  

Again, I repurposed these fans.   If I had bought them new for these facilities I would have bought two.  One for each hangar.  That would have allowed for larger fans on the same budget.   Larger allows for a more subtle breeze across the entire area.   I'd ask BAF folks.  They can probably recommend the proper size.   PM if you need any assistance.

Our equine vet has one in his house and several at his clinic. He says if he turns it up more than a couple of notches, it will lift up the rugs from the floor.

(I think he uses it to keep his scotch and bourbon collection cool).

ISql9j2pgi7x370000000000.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s 102.9° in my hangar today, 1700 sg ft, it’s actually cooler outside in the breeze. I have two 48” fans going and their just moving hot air..... headed to the house where the AC keeps it 73°, will be following to se how it’s works for you

4 minutes ago, RLCarter said:

It’s 102.9° in my hangar today, 1700 sg ft, it’s actually cooler outside in the breeze. I have two 48” fans going and their just moving hot air..... headed to the house where the AC keeps it 73°, will be following to se how it’s works for you

103o?  Oh c'mon, you live in Texas, how can you complain about that?? ;)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

A friend of mine bought a home with a 60 x 60 hangar attached to it. Since he's single, he spent "several thousand" on a BigAss Fan for the hangar instead of furniture for the house.

I can relate,,,I live at Spruce Creek...spent about 50k on my C in the last 18 months....I am writing you from an old laptop that is sitting on a card table in my kitchen...looks like the day I moved in here......not kidding

Single no kids that I know of.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

does anyone know of a good low profile fan like big ass fans?  I want to do my 3 car garage up like it deserves but big ass fans hang a bit to low for comfort.......Would love to find a fan that looks industrial like those but can still walk under without decapitation......

3 hours ago, SantosDumont said:

If you're looking for an alternative option I bought this portable evaporative cooler from Home Depot that works pretty well for spot cooling.

I use a similar Hessaire in my hangar and it's awesome.    Even in Phoenix it keeps things reasonably cool where it's pointed, and it moves a lot of air.  It'll use a lot of water on a hot day on the highest settings.  I keep two 5 gal water jugs full, and on a long, hot day I'll go through much of that.   It's just a trip to the wash rack to fill them back up.

Evaporative coolers aren't great in humid climates, though.   Here in the southwest or other arid or semi-arid areas they're awesome.

Edited by EricJ

19 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I use a similar Hessaire in my hangar and it's awesome.    Even in Phoenix it keeps things reasonably cool where it's pointed, and it moves a lot of air.  It'll use a lot of water on a hot day on the highest settings.  I keep two 5 gal water jugs full, and on a long, hot day I'll go through much of that.   It's just a trip to the wash rack to fill them back up.

Evaporative coolers aren't great in humid climates, though.   Here in the southwest or other arid or semi-arid areas they're awesome.

I have a slightly bigger unit.  Mine goes through 5 gallons in about 45 minutes.  I'm really considering getting on of those 350 gallon tanks and mounting it on a small trailer.  

It was 115 in the hangar at 9am yesterday.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jim Peace said:

I can relate,,,I live at Spruce Creek...spent about 50k on my C in the last 18 months....I am writing you from an old laptop that is sitting on a card table in my kitchen...looks like the day I moved in here......not kidding

Single no kids that I know of.....

When finances come up I always tell my wife that I can sleep in my plane, but you cant fly a house.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

103o?  Oh c'mon, you live in Texas, how can you complain about that?? ;)

You have to agree that 103° is a tad warm, I don't do the heat index or the feels like temps, and generally don't even want to hear what they are....:D

• Like 1

does anyone know of a good low profile fan like big ass fans?  I want to do my 3 car garage up like it deserves but big ass fans hang a bit to low for comfort.......Would love to find a fan that looks industrial like those but can still walk under without decapitation......

I found some 8 ft fans that were decently cheap and well rated on Amazon. Am planning on getting 2 for our shop's mechanic areas.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Air-ICF72UPS-Industrial-Metallic/dp/B07QC3V1BK?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, NJMac said:

I found some 8 ft fans that were decently cheap and well rated on Amazon. Am planning on getting 2 for our shop's mechanic areas.

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Air-ICF72UPS-Industrial-Metallic/dp/B07QC3V1BK?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1&th=1&psc=1

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Looks promising. Would love a PIREP if you go with them

• Like 1

I installed a Hunter Industrial fan in my hangar.  Their industrial line manufacturers HVLS (high volume low speed) fans similar to Bigass or Macroair.

After trying to deal with Bigass or Macro directly, I found Hunter much more willing to work direct with the consumer.     Bigass or Macro kept trying to direct me to one of their “installers”.   Hunter provider better technical support and sold direct to me. 

Not cheap,  but worth the money to me.   

Bill

9 hours ago, wpbarnar said:

I installed a Hunter Industrial fan in my hangar.  Their industrial line manufacturers HVLS (high volume low speed) fans similar to Bigass or Macroair.

After trying to deal with Bigass or Macro directly, I found Hunter much more willing to work direct with the consumer.     Bigass or Macro kept trying to direct me to one of their “installers”.   Hunter provider better technical support and sold direct to me. 

Not cheap,  but worth the money to me.   

Bill

I find it extremely difficult to pull any meaningful pricing information from BAF or Macroair.  When asking about pricing I feel like I get a "well how much do you got" response...  I cant figure out why there is no catalog pricing information for these.

Can you provide any info on sizes/prices for Hunter?

Edited by DualRatedFlyer

53 minutes ago, DualRatedFlyer said:

I find it extremely difficult to pull any meaningful pricing information from BAF or Macroair.  When asking about pricing I feel like I get a "well how much do you got" response...  I cant figure out why there is no catalog pricing information for these.

Can you provide any info on sizes/prices for Hunter?

It's very frustrating but not unusual for industrial items to be available only via a quote.      I'd ask for a formal quote from any vendor under consideration.   Scope them all the same then you can compare.   I don't remember BAF being slow to provide one.   My memory says I paid around 3K per fan plus another 800 for the installation kit.    Not cheap by any measure.   I heat my facilities so I like to think I've saved some on the utilities.  :)