Mark Brandemuehl update

Hi everyone,
Mark’s scheduled around 12 or 1 pm PT surgery tomorrow. They are always delayed If he‘s not the first case. They will be taking a very thin cell layer of skin from his lower abdomen (autograft) and putting it on his right front torso where he needs it.

Mark’s blood pressure has improved hovering mean arterial pressure of high 50s to low 60s.

He still has heart arrhythmia so the cardiology team will run a diagnostic test on Mark tomorrow morning to make sure he’s ok for surgery and to see If thy fInd any more information.

Cindy, the music therapist came by with a cool machine that makes the sound of ocean waves for Mark. Not sure it helped Mark’s heart rate but I certainly passed out!

• Like 9

Hi Everyone,
Mark had his autograft surgery this afternoon and it went well. They put it on his left torso to fill the gap where he needed it.

They prioritized his surgery for today and postponed his esophagheal cardiac assessment to tomorrow. They want to make sure he doesn't have enough of concern such as a blood clot. Whatever the results, given his heart arrhythmia, they will do an ablation to address it.

From here on out, Mark needs to heal, both the donor site where they took the autograft from, the autograft itself, and continued healing and growth of his CEAs and prior autografts.

It takes CEAs 30 days to grow to join together to create an entire section of skin. The hope will be by Sept 12th, when a new batch of CEAs arrive, that his arms in particular will be mostly covered with new skin grown from CEAs.

I've been reading Tina Fey's Bossypants book to Mark. There are some real laugh out loud sections that would make him chuckle. He's been looking relaxed most of today so we've been playing quieter music - classical and meditation tunes.
  • Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Laura, Mark’s nurse said his trach was loose durIng hIs dressIng change and he said “ouch!” His nurses keep trying to fInd the rIght med dosages to keep hIm comfortable. It‘s good that he shows them when he‘s In paIn.

Sometimes he moves his thighs. Ashley joked that he’s just doing his crunches!

Mark‘s blood pressure was soft late afternoon so they gave him blood and decreased fluid output from his kidney dialysis which did help.

Excellent news - Laura also mentioned that Mark’s new skin grafts on his arms have grown together. Wonderful!
  • Like 7

Jenny is very upbeat, and things are looking up.

mike elliott,

Jenny Brandemuehl has posted a new announcement for Family & Friends of Mark Brandemuehl.

Mark goes into surgery tomorrow at 7:30 am. Dr Foster will put full skin grafts where the cosmetic surgeon made cuts below his eyes to release contracted skin.

He continues to have a stable heart rhythm. His blood pressure fluctuates from soft to minimum of normal range. They are doing everything they can to support his BP as needed without resorting to medication.

Still monitoring blood clot and blood infection.

We got to see Mark’s arms undressed - his new skin looks so healthy! You can see the mesh pattern from the mesh the put underneath his CEAs. The physical therapist said the red marks from mesh pattern should be less red over time.

Because his arms are healed, the physical therapists will be stretching him more everyday. His wrists, his elbows. They’re alternating his arms on the splints.

She and I had a good discussion about life after ICU. She took care of Mark Haley, the drag car racer whose story I shared with you. He is doing really well now. She said that the burn patients who had a full life before their accidents are the ones who thrive and lead fulfilling lives when they recover. I told her Mark has so many passions and interests in life! Hiking, skiing, driving his AC Cobra kit car, any scooter or motorcycle really fast, flyIng planes, attending live music, singing, having political debates, debating about anything controversial, traveling, eating (we’re foodies), hoppy IPAs (also partial to a good Prosecco and French Rose), cooking, baking pies, smoking ribs and brisket, watching Packers and Badger football. He wanted to live in Japan for 3 months, Italy for another 3. We wanted to learn Italian together. The list goes on and on....

Chatting with the physical therapist gave me a lot of hope.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

mike elliott,

Jenny Brandemuehl has posted a new announcement for Family & Friends of Mark Brandemuehl.

Mark goes into surgery tomorrow at 7:30 am. Dr Foster will put full skin grafts where the cosmetic surgeon made cuts below his eyes to release contracted skin.

He continues to have a stable heart rhythm. His blood pressure fluctuates from soft to minimum of normal range. They are doing everything they can to support his BP as needed without resorting to medication.

We got to see Mark’s arms undressed - his new skin looks so healthy! You can see the mesh pattern from the mesh the put underneath his CEAs. The physical therapist said the red marks from mesh pattern should be less red over time.

Because his arms are healed, the physical therapists will be stretching him more everyday. His wrists, his elbows. They’re alternating his arms on the splints.

She and I had a good discussion about life after ICU. She took care of Mark Haley, the drag car racer whose story I shared with you. He is doing really well now. She said that the burn patients who had a full life before their accidents are the ones who thrive and lead fulfilling lives when they recover. I told her Mark has so many passions and interests in life! Hiking, skiing, driving his AC Cobra kit car, any scooter or motorcycle really fast, flyIng planes, attending live music, singing, having political debates, debating about anything controversial, traveling, eating (we’re foodies), hoppy IPAs (also partial to a good Prosecco and French Rose), cooking, baking pies, smoking ribs and brisket, watching Packers and Badger football. He wanted to live in Japan for 3 months, Italy for another 3. We wanted to learn Italian together. The list goes on and on....

Ah wonderful.  Here is to 3 months in Japan and 3 months in Italy learning languages and eating good food for Jenny and Mark!

E

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 3

From Jenny Brandemuehl

Hi All,

No update to report on the CEAs on Mark's thighs. They haven't separated yet from their dressing covers today so the doctors couldn't see much yet. We continue to wait.

I'm grateful his heart rhythm is stable, blood pressure got soft and they gave him albumin and blood. I'm curious and will ask the doctors at what stage in skin grafts will Mark's vascular system recover enough so that his blood pressure becomes more stable?

Family friends Marcene and Harlow were in town and came to visit Mark today. He definitely recognized their voices and smiled. It was so good to see him respond. They've known Mark since he was very young.

I've discovered talking to the nurses that they think Mark's room has the best music! It's also been a conversation topic among the nurses. Laura, one of the traveling nurses who has the biggest heart for Mark and our family said that the Mumford songs on Mark's playlist inspired her to go the the Mumford show in Phoenix last night. She said the opening song, Guiding Light made her cry thinking of Mark. She was so excited about sharing her videos of the show with Mark today. He smiled at her today too! She leaves her 3 month assignment at the burn center to return home to El Paso. She'll be one of the nurses we're going to stay in touch with after we leave Phoenix. The nurses here are among the best in their profession and truly care about us.

Many years ago Mark, Adrian and I were going to a big music festival at the Monterey County Fairgrounds especially to see Mumford. (Mark and Adrian are big fans). Mark was going to fly us from Palo Alto for the show but we ran into fog and he wasn't IFR rated yet. (fly solely based on instruments). We couldn't land in Monterey or Salinas and had to fly back to Palo Alto and drive to Monterey. It was an adventure and totally worth it. We were all pretty wowed by Mumford - they are great live.

It was a busy and full day for Mark today.

• Like 7

On 9/18/2019 at 9:43 AM, mike_elliott said:

From Jenny Brandemuehl

Hi All,

No update to report on the CEAs on Mark's thighs. They haven't separated yet from their dressing covers today so the doctors couldn't see much yet. We continue to wait.

I'm grateful his heart rhythm is stable, blood pressure got soft and they gave him albumin and blood. I'm curious and will ask the doctors at what stage in skin grafts will Mark's vascular system recover enough so that his blood pressure becomes more stable?

Family friends Marcene and Harlow were in town and came to visit Mark today. He definitely recognized their voices and smiled. It was so good to see him respond. They've known Mark since he was very young.

I've discovered talking to the nurses that they think Mark's room has the best music! It's also been a conversation topic among the nurses. Laura, one of the traveling nurses who has the biggest heart for Mark and our family said that the Mumford songs on Mark's playlist inspired her to go the the Mumford show in Phoenix last night. She said the opening song, Guiding Light made her cry thinking of Mark. She was so excited about sharing her videos of the show with Mark today. He smiled at her today too! She leaves her 3 month assignment at the burn center to return home to El Paso. She'll be one of the nurses we're going to stay in touch with after we leave Phoenix. The nurses here are among the best in their profession and truly care about us.

Many years ago Mark, Adrian and I were going to a big music festival at the Monterey County Fairgrounds especially to see Mumford. (Mark and Adrian are big fans). Mark was going to fly us from Palo Alto for the show but we ran into fog and he wasn't IFR rated yet. (fly solely based on instruments). We couldn't land in Monterey or Salinas and had to fly back to Palo Alto and drive to Monterey. It was an adventure and totally worth it. We were all pretty wowed by Mumford - they are great live.

It was a busy and full day for Mark today.

I ran out of hearts so I will just say what a wonderful uplifting post!  (From another big time Mumford fan). Nurses.  Several in our family.  They truly do make a positive difference every minute of every day.  Always there...

On 9/13/2019 at 10:15 AM, mike_elliott said:

mike elliott,

OMG!  We are kindred spirits Mark and I.  I could check every box except substitute Porsche GTS for AC Cobra.  Lifelong Packer/Badger fan.  I was rooting hard before, but NOW it’s personal!  Go Mark!!!!!!!

PS-Bucky and Pack look SOLID this fall.  Tune those games in for Mark.  Big deal at Michigan on Saturday :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Mark's surgery went smoothly today. They cleaned him up on his front torso. He'll go back to surgery on Monday to get skin grafts above his eyes.

They are ordering CEAs to start grafting his back. Although CEAs don't take as easily on the back, the doctors have no choice because Mark doesn't have enough donor sites (unburned skin). It'll take the Boston lab 2 weeks to grow them.

He was exhausted this morning before his surgery and was not too communicative. Sitting up yesterday wiped him out. It took a while for the nurses to do his dressing change post-surgery so Suzie and I didn't get into his room until 5 pm. He told us he was in pain so the nurses gave him meds to get comfortable and he dozed off.

AJ and his family left the hospital today to go to residential rehab - the nurses made a human tent - arms up as they walked through on their way out of the burn center. It made me teary eyed to see AJ leave. Several of the nurses said to me - you'll see, Mark Brandemuehl will be next to leave.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, Mark passed away yesterday. 

Godspeed Mark.

mike elliott,

Mark passed away yesterday at 5 pm PT. He had septic shock and his blood pressured dropped so much, his heart failed. The nurses made repeated attempts to resuscitate Mark. It happened so fast.

Our families and I are heartbroken and in shock. Mark was doing so well just the day before. He was at the start of the home stretch with his skin grafts.

I believe he's in a good place and no longer suffering. Mark had a formidable mind and spirit but I think his body was exhausted.

Perhaps it's a mercy that he didn't have to live as handicapped person. He was such a robust, active and make it happen person. I knew he'd be deeply disappointed about having physical limitations even though I still believe he'd get past that if he could be surrounded by the people he loved.

If I don't reply to you right now, please know that I appreciate your notes but our family and I are grieving and also dealing with a lot of logistics such as getting funeral arrangements made and getting Mark back to California.

I'll keep you updated on what's next when we get everything organized.
  • Sad 20

Oh my gosh.  I am so sorry to hear this.  I have been thinking about many times last week and weekend and afraid to ask.  I was worrying its been awhile since an update.

Oh my sincerest best wishes to Jenny and the rest of Mark's family.

Sincerely,
Erik

• Sad 1