Service bulletin

OHAEDO

At SWTA, Laura applies a fresh coat of bright red nail polish to the tow limits indicator, at every annual.

I always park with the cowl flaps retracted so nothing obscures the view of the tow limits indicator.

I'm always sure to point it out to the line guys.

• Like 2

We could probably use a pack of 100 new limit decals and ship out to MSers everywhere... 

They seem to be fading with time...

Of course... it only works for the nose gear with the limit pointer on them...

paint that too...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Is there a way to add the pointer? 

I'll bet a black or brightly colored zip tie would work. Just leave the end sticking out an inch as the pointer. I"ll have to look next time I'm at the plane.

I use this when I am at an FBO I don't know/trust to not move it. They can't get a towbar attached, and my cell phone number is on the back of each flag - I also carry 2 Trailer Pin locks when I absolutely don't want the flags removed.

...too subtle? ;)

IMG_2735.jpg

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, FlyingScot said:

I use this when I am at an FBO I don't know/trust to not move it. They can't get a towbar attached, and my cell phone number is on the back of each flag - I also carry 2 Trailer Pin locks when I absolutely don't want the flags removed.

...too subtle? ;)

That is hard core!!

48 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

https://lasar.com/placards-decals/decal-warning-towing-limits-with-arrow-150056-a2003r

I love lasar but $20 for a sticker?  I think Ill call my sticker guy.

wait turns out I dont have a sticker guy.  anybody got one?

Ha I paid the $20 a couple years ago - the sticker is now faded and illegible :(

1 hour ago, FlyingScot said:

...too subtle? ;)

IMG_2735.jpg

I guess that’s a  way to make sure you do a good preflight. That would be one expensive thing to forget to remove before flight! I like your style, but I went with just a streamer.

2 hours ago, TheTurtle said:

https://lasar.com/placards-decals/decal-warning-towing-limits-with-arrow-150056-a2003r

I love lasar but $20 for a sticker?  I think Ill call my sticker guy.

wait turns out I dont have a sticker guy.  anybody got one?

I’m a sticker guy.  If all Mooney’s have the same dimensions, I’d be happy to make up a batch

• Like 4

1 hour ago, FlyingScot said:

...too subtle? ;)

IMG_2735.jpg

More and more places these days are using the type of machine that just grabs the nosewheel and lifts it.   Some of them don't put any torque on the nosewheel when turning, and some do.   The ones that do there's not going to be much you can do about.

FWIW, the only time I ever spoke up to somebody was when they were using that type of tug (that lifts the nosewheel) and said something along the lines of, "Mooney's have a restricted turning angle and you can damage it if you go past that."   The very quick reply was, "They all do."     After that I decided I wouldn't be "that guy" any more.    My airplane does have the pointer and placards on the truss.

5 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Is there a way to add the pointer? 

There is a service bulletin that lists the parts. M20-151.

The center clamp is hard to find. 738-14-10

KRN had one in AZ, everyone else was out. It’s a centered Adel clamp. Most Clamps are not centered. Laser is out of stock of the kit. 

I found the clamp, hardware,  made a pointer and label. Looks good to me!

13E35D25-B8E4-4F32-9943-0DF165E743C1.png

5DCBCA7E-BCEC-4C00-8F70-8CE15E5A23ED.png

11FCC60B-A11F-4A82-ABAE-041BA826C9EB.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My F has a third fixed cowl flap, it essentially comes down to the top of the pucks.  Even if I had a turn indicator it would not be visible while towing.  I guess the limit lines could be on the flap, but the position indicator would need to be painted onto the pucks.

52132266_CowlFlaps.PNG.ac7e52b5a0050c6e96e46db918739d6d.PNG 

10 hours ago, FlyingScot said:

...too subtle? ;)

IMG_2735.jpg

I really might go with is idea.  I could probably do research and piece this together, but any chance you could share a parts list...either here or PM me?

Steve

8 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

I really might go with is idea.  I could probably do research and piece this together, but any chance you could share a parts list...either here or PM me?

Steve

Delighted - here's the latest incarnation (the last was from a while back) - One side is permanently attached using the ring that comes with the flags, and the other is attached using a book ring that I bought at Office Max.

The pipe is just a 14" section of 3/4" electrical conduit painted with clear varnish w/2 3/8" thru holes drilled 1.5" from each end. The flags I purchased from Sporty's (DO NOT TOW STREAMER, SKU: 8476A, $14.95). The two red lines demarcate the width of the nose gear spindle. 

It's simple, hard to ignore, and hard to miss in the preflight! :) - Bob

P.S> I also carry two trailer coupler locks like the ones below to lock it on if I need to - hope this helps!

W&B_ - 1.jpg

curt-hitch-accessories-23522-64_1000.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/14/2019 at 7:44 PM, FlyingScot said:

...too subtle? ;)

IMG_2735.jpg

I like the idea.  But the more I thought about it, the more I became concerned.   Hard to miss on a pre-flight, but as someone who has missed the wheel chocks before, I thought I better not.  --And I know I am not the only one.   Anyway, the consequence of missing the device on a pre-flight seem substantial.  --And no good way to tell its there from the cockpit, until you retract the gear.  Maybe a velcro loop attached flag would be a bit safer.

• Like 1

Had my nose truss replaced after a "reputable" FBO at an airpot very close to NYC damaged the stopping bolts and bent the tubes. Took three weeks and 5 amu to replace everything required. They were honest and called me warning of the problem, paying for the damage and car rentals.

I did, as always, warn the line personnel of the limited turn radius. I have since put a laminated orange sign in front of the wheel warning: "DO NOT OVERSTEER - LIMITED TURN RADIUS" bungeed to the nose gear. Fingers crossed...

• 4 years later...