Any FP-5L experts here?

When programming the FP-5(L)'s horsepower setting, it can be done by using the fuel flow rate at 75% power (very common) to where it will display percent power.  Alternatively, raw horsepower can be displayed by using the formula found on page 21 in the FP-5(L)'s operating/instructions from the attachment (uncommon).  The horsepower programming is accessed in the Power Up Programming mode by holding both buttons while powering up the instrument.

FP-5(L) Operating Instructions.pdf

Edited by oregon87
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I’m not sure how accurate the % hp is.  Does the unit calculate HP when ROP, at peak, or LOp?  They are different values 

It's not really meant to replicate performance charts for multiple power settings.  The horsepower function of the FP-5(L) was designed as a useful reference (when programmed correctly) at a specific setting and can compensate for LOP operations when the AUX channel is used to monitor EGT.  Hopefully, the attached file will clarify how HP is calculated.  

FP-5(L) HP.pdf

Edited by oregon87

17 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

I’m not sure how accurate the % hp is.  Does the unit calculate HP when ROP, at peak, or LOp?  They are different values 

IIRC the user guide instructs you to calibrate it for the full rich setting.  Obviously, doing so would only be helpful on takeoff.

In theory you could calibrate it to LOP because the only parameter it bases HP on is fuel flow by just going through the setup at your theoretical 75% LOP fuel flow, but I haven't bothered doing so.  Obviously, that wouldn't work ROP.

Edit: @oregon87  EGT to the AUX channel?  I didn't remember that in the install manual, I stand corrected!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oregon87 said:

When programming the FP-5(L)'s horsepower setting, it can be done by using the fuel flow rate at 75% power (very common) to where it will display percent power.  Alternatively, raw horsepower can be displayed by using the formula found on page 21 in the FP-5(L)'s operating/instructions from the attachment (uncommon).  The horsepower programming is accessed in the Power Up Programming mode by holding both buttons while powering up the instrument.

FP-5(L) Operating Instructions.pdf 122.83 kB · 4 downloads

I'm currently showing raw horse power, but I want to show percent horsepower.  How do I go back??

46 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I'm currently showing raw horse power, but I want to show percent horsepower.  How do I go back??

When you go to the setup menu, skip forwards to the FF at 75% power setting (there should be a little "r" on the left).  There's a number that is your fuel flow.  Just multiply it by 9/5 (180/100) to get it scaled to 100% instead of 180 hp

Edit:  Ooops!  I got it backwards, of course, corrected

• Like 1