Any FP-5L experts here?

Besides @oregon87?

i bought a used FP-5L on eBay.  We installed it yesterday and it all works, except for the L part.  It won’t communicate with the GPS in either direction.  In fact, the screens that are supposed to be there to program how it talks to the GPS aren’t even there.  It’s like its an FP-5.  It says FP-5L on the side.  It has fuel to destination and MPG functions.  But they just don’t seem to work.  Did I get a bad unit or did we miss something on the programming?  I do not have a fuel pressure transducer.  I only have fuel flow.  Is there a chance that that is required for the GPS functions to work?

4259525D-E0E2-44A8-87D4-01F739552517.png

0E367F81-C7CB-431D-B072-68CBB2765977.png

E15C6498-338B-41AA-83D7-262DF04929CF.png

After entering 'Power up programming mode' by holding both buttons down and then turning on power, there should be 11 'screens' to cycle through.  If there are only 9, then it would seem you have just the FP-5.

15 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

After entering 'Power up programming mode' by holding both buttons down and then turning on power, there should be 11 'screens' to cycle through.  If there are only 9, then it would seem you have just the FP-5.

Yup.  There are only 9.  Which doesn’t make sense.  It’s labeled an L.  It has wires in the factory harness for RS232.  It has the labels that only the L has.  

Hmm, if it was me, I'd call EI on Monday.  Maybe it is the missing pressure sensor (which makes no sense. But, who knows...the factory!)

I've called Insight for questions on my Strikefinder and, STEC on my autopilot and was quickly put through to technically savvy personnel that have quickly answered my questions.

Hopefully, EI can do the same.

Good luck!

Yeah, I’m going to.  I already sent a note to Dave.  I’m not upset with the seller, it has every indication it’s the L.  It has a 30 day guarantee, so if I can’t straighten it out with EI (maybe there’s something we did wrong!) I’ll return it.  Just a bummer because it looks brand new

I hear you; I'd be bummed after buying and then having issues right off the bat.  You're smart to be addressing this right away; sometimes these things sit in the box for a couple months before being installed.  Then, when problems develop the 30 day guarantee has expired!

Some devices lately sense if there are connections before giving you the screens to set things up...

Is it possible the GPS plug isn’t connected and not being sensed?

also check what version of software it is running... it may have old software and not enabled...

EI is generally a good company to work with...

Good luck, it is great data to have.

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Some devices lately sense if there are connections before giving you the screens to set things up...

Is it possible the GPS plug isn’t connected and not being sensed?

also check what version of software it is running... it may have old software and not enabled...

EI is generally a good company to work with...

Good luck, it is great data to have.

Best regards,

-a-

According to the manual, you should get an indication of OFF if the GPS isn't connected.  

ragedracer1977, sent you a PM and a link to the "old" FP-5L operating instructions.  As it was brought up, a pressure transducer connection is not required for GPS connectivity.  Does your FP-5L power-up programming offer L 1 or L 2 options?  These are the older FP-5L Loran settings for setting up the system to interface with a GPS.  The newer versions of the FP-5L include In1, In2, In3, Ot0, Ot1, Ot2 and Ot3.

4 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

ragedracer1977, sent you a PM and a link to the "old" FP-5L operating instructions.  As it was brought up, a pressure transducer connection is not required for GPS connectivity.  Does your FP-5L power-up programming offer L 1 or L 2 options?  These are the older FP-5L Loran settings for setting up the system to interface with a GPS.  The newer versions of the FP-5L include In1, In2, In3, Ot0, Ot1, Ot2 and Ot3.

Wow, I haven't seen the word "Loran" in a long time :blink:

12 minutes ago, oregon87 said:

I do not recall seeing L1 or L2. But I'm not sure.  In addition, when I press the F to D button nothing happens.  I don't get any indication.  Do you have to hold the button down for some period of time?

51 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I do not recall seeing L1 or L2. But I'm not sure.  In addition, when I press the F to D button nothing happens.  I don't get any indication.  Do you have to hold the button down for some period of time?

Nope, it should change displays with a quick tap

@oregon87

So, for the old FP-5L, the steps should be

1. Full fuel level

2. K Factor

3. Filter

4. Display update time

5. Loran/GPS interface.

I get:

1. First and second fuel levels

2. K Factor

3. Filter

4. Display update time

5. Fuel flow at 75% power

6. AUX channel control

7. Scan Rate. 

This sequence matches none of the manuals....

That's definitely a strange one as the serial number was produced in 2004.  We changed the programming to the "new" style in 2002, so this FP-5L is operating according to the new and current programming.  The original invoice shows it to be a FP-5L and it was returned in 2012 for a bench test, but I don't have any details as to what was done, other than it was still invoiced as a FP-5L and unfortunately that invoice has been archived.  This one has me stumped.  I'm assuming it was re-programmed for a FP-5 at some time mistakenly.  The silver lining is that it can be easily reprogrammed for a FP-5L, but it would have to be returned to do so.  

Edited by oregon87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, oregon87 said:

That's definitely a strange one as the serial number was produced in 2004.  We changed the programming to the "new" style in 2002, so this FP-5L is operating according to the new and current programming.  The original invoice shows it to be a FP-5L and it was returned in 2012 for a bench test, but I don't have any details as to what was done, other than it was still invoiced as a FP-5L and unfortunately that invoice has been archived.  This one has me stumped.  I'm assuming it was re-programmed for a FP-5 at some time mistakenly.  The silver lining is that it can be easily reprogrammed for a FP-5L, but it would have to be returned to do so.  

I'll call you tomorrow.  I'm sure that isn't free, and I need to work out with the seller how he'd like to handle that.  

36 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

I'll call you tomorrow.  I'm sure that isn't free, and I need to work out with the seller how he'd like to handle that.  

As this particular instrument was originally sold as a FP-5L, I'd be happy to reconfigure it as such at no charge.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...