AOA for M20C

37 minutes ago, kpaul said:
I have the CYA 100 in my F and [mention=8913]Bob_Belville[/mention] has the same in his E.  It's a fairly simple install, at least it was for me, I just paid my A&P to install it, and easy calibration.  It works really well.

I have time and I enjoy working on the plane so I snaked the wires out the wing and up to the back of the panel. I located the sensor under the right wing symmetric with the pitot tube on the other side. AGL did the rest, a couple of hours maybe? Except I flew a calibration flight.

There are pics on multiple old threads.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cya100probe1.jpg

CYA100probe2.jpg

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pasturepilot said:

This may be the simplest "AOA" install, although I don't know about how probe-less AOA works. It's something I've been meaning to study up on. 

https://aerovonics.com/av-20-1?fbclid=IwAR0YorKuB2KvOdM4ToIfwR8I_l1sJ2Gv3L3mWdNDTzZ7ybT48kI4YUcGCaw

There are a few already installed in Mooneys- the short answer is that the AOA does not work at all.

• Like 2

Yeah, the AV20 is what came to mind.  It’s inexpensive, easy installation and feature rich.  I’ve never been one to desire AOA beyond an attitude indicator, but I have a need for a number of its other features in my little tail dragged.  It’s a good value.

Good news... there is a thread around here discussing all of the various AOAi available to Mooneys...

Not so good news...  The AV20 AOA has not been able to perform properly in Mooneys yet... nice device for all the other good it provides...

Best regards,

-a-

If you have an Aspen, you can pay a couple amu for a software unlock, with no external sensor needed.  

Supposedly this works quite well, even has indications that account for flap position, whereas most others don’t. We hear the AV-20 version of this is not so great.  

I think the new MAX version will even push the nose down hard for you if it thinks you’re screwing up - oh wait that’s software on a completely different aircraft.

....too soon? ;)

I’d really like the idea of a HUD if I were ever to get an AoA sensor - not really an option on my Aspen.  

For now I think I’ll just leave some decent airspeed margins,  not bank steeply at slow speed, not jerk the plane around, and not try to squeeze into any tiny strips in the backcountry.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1