Travel Canopy Cover

I have a canopy cover that’s Sunbrella, I think.  It’s heavier than I need for travel and the material doesn’t stretch, so no matter how hard I cinch it down, it flaps in a strong wind which has caused some paint and window damage.

Is there any company that makes a lightweight, somewhat stretchy and merely water resistant cover?

My experience and I am sure others will disagree is all covers are going to scratch and cause uneven paint wear (part of plane is in sun and part isn’t).  

I really don’t get the value of these covers personally.  The Kenon windshades are all I ever use aside from cowl cover in winter when I have the Reif Heater running. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M20F said:

I really don’t get the value of these covers personally.  

If it rains you need a cover that does not allow water to get between the window and the airframe....lots and lots of vintage Mooneys have corrosion due to this....The cover will prevent it.

We hear of planes being totaled by steel frame corrosion.  I religiously use my cover when traveling and not in a hangar for this reason and others. Water proof seems a higher priority than stretchy.   I wasn't aware of this issue of paint damage from wind flapping though.   

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1

Good news...

I had a great cover on my M20C... it was like a hangar for a part of the plane...

It fit tightly

It was really water tight. Sunbrella material...

The paint faded everywhere the cover wasn’t, the wax wore off the same way, the windows were so exposed already the cover wasn’t going to make a difference...

Such a good experience... I bought one for the O...

Really high end this time around... zippered door, extra soft surface to not retain dirt in the window areas...

Any challenges, Jim Cancil would fix it... (re-sewn after many many years, plastic part replaced)

Only challenge... Jim Cancil announced his retirement years ago...

Bummer... and Chears!

West Coast Mooniacs really like their Bruce’s....

Best regards,

-a-

2 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

If it rains you need a cover that does not allow water to get between the window and the airframe....lots and lots of vintage Mooneys have corrosion due to this....The cover will prevent it.

If you are getting water inside the airframe with out a cover then you have other issues. 

• Like 1

I've quit using a cover as well. I've got a Bruce's cover for my 252 that is really nice, but absorbs water and gets super heavy when wet. It also takes forever to dry. Of course my Mooney lives indoors unless it's the odd night that we're traveling and it's out on the ramp. 

I find that the heat is best mitigated by my sunshades more than the cover. So most places I just use the sunshades.

I might take the full cover to Oshkosh as I'll be going solo and weight won't be an issue.

I would also be interested in a lightweight waterproof cover. I just haven't found one.

1 hour ago, M20F said:

If you are getting water inside the airframe with out a cover then you have other issues. 

True, and I'm not aware of any leaks, but I also don't trust my ability to find a leak before it's too late.  Belt and suspenders, because the stakes are high.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M20F said:

sometimes you miss leaks,,,,,the cover although is a nuisance is cheap compared to the tube service bulletin 

10 hours ago, DXB said:

True, and I'm not aware of any leaks, but I also don't trust my ability to find a leak before it's too late.  Belt and suspenders, because the stakes are high.

Most of what causes corrosion is the humidity over time.  This is why planes in places with high humidity see corrosion and ones in Arizona don’t. 

The cover isn’t going to fix that (nor does a hanger go stand in FLA hanger it is a moisture box) and any appreciable window leakage that might is going to become apparent quickly and fixed.  A plane sitting on a ramp for 2yrs with no love and no cover, sure you could get some corrosion inside.  But a flown plane that sits on a ramp not so much.  Water isn’t the issue, water+time is the issue  

Corrosion X is a much better solution then a cover.  But I appreciate we all have those things that help us sleep at night.  I am going to do my tanks next year, I am nearly hysterical when I think about it worried the spar will have corrosion. 

Cover absolutely DOES protect in a heavy rain.  I have snaps on the front and paint damage is a non-issue.  To each their own, but the cover does provide a level of security protection to as prying eyes have to work to see in.  I will always use my Bruce’s cover when on the ramp overnight traveling.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, M20F said:

Most of what causes corrosion is the humidity over time.  This is why planes in places with high humidity see corrosion and ones in Arizona don’t. 

The cover isn’t going to fix that (nor does a hanger go stand in FLA hanger it is a moisture box) and any appreciable window leakage that might is going to become apparent quickly and fixed.  A plane sitting on a ramp for 2yrs with no love and no cover, sure you could get some corrosion inside.  But a flown plane that sits on a ramp not so much.  Water isn’t the issue, water+time is the issue  

Corrosion X is a much better solution then a cover.  But I appreciate we all have those things that help us sleep at night.  I am going to do my tanks next year, I am nearly hysterical when I think about it worried the spar will have corrosion. 

Humidity of course matters but I'm not sure about humidity alone being the dominant factor - my 51 year old bird used to live in coastal Florida for some time but has a steel frame that is pristine at last check a couple years ago.  I do get lots of condensation in the plane in my hangar, which I worry about. 

I agree that living outdoors and repeated exposure to rain , not drying out in flight, and old insulation soaking up water to hold against the steel tubes likely do matter a lot. I think there was a case of steel frame corrosion recently on a regularly flown plane (might have been in the FB group - I couldn't find on here) where the owner found the relevant leak in the rear window seals. It's reasonable to think a good cover would have prevented that, if one did not notice the issue with the seal. The baggage door area and the top air scoop worry me a lot too, and a cover would help there also. 

The area that perhaps worries me the most is the wing root seals-  i probably need to look closer at those and how to get them tight.  Their appearance does not inspire confidence, and no cover will help that area.  

I'm not sure what the right technique for fogging the steel frame with Corrosion X  or ACF50 is - The cabin seems more challenging than the wings and tail. I'm pretty sure only my wings and tail got treated last time.

Edited by DXB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueOne said:

To each their own, but the cover does provide a level of security protection to as prying eyes have to work to see in.  

Sunshades work just as well.  I can also leave my rears in when awful hot on the taxi out.  

Similar to ROP/LOP arguments everyone has their way.  I will say though that a cover definitely will impact your paint in some fashion.   At minimum you develop a tan line. 

• Like 1

And yet I have used my cover for 20 years and I have no impact...I am talking about an occasional few days while vacationing not a plane that is tied out all the time vs. a hanger.  Just clarifying...Is this what you mean?  A tie down ALL THE TIME use of a cover on your plane?  In that event I would agree that there would be sun fade on the uncovered area.  Enjoy your sunshades.  All good by me.

Humidity of course matters but I'm not sure about humidity alone being the dominant factor - my 51 year old bird used to live in coastal Florida for some time but has a steel frame that is pristine at last check a couple years ago.  I do get lots of condensation in the plane in my hangar, which I worry about. 
I agree that living outdoors and repeated exposure to rain , not drying out in flight, and old insulation soaking up water to hold against the steel tubes likely do matter a lot. I think there was a case of steel frame corrosion recently on a regularly flown plane (might have been in the FB group - I couldn't find on here) where the owner found the relevant leak in the rear window seals. It's reasonable to think a good cover would have prevented that, if one did not notice the issue with the seal. The baggage door area and the top air scoop worry me a lot too, and a cover would help there also. 
The area that perhaps worries me the most is the wing root seals-  i probably need to look closer at those and how to get them tight.  Their appearance does not inspire confidence, and no cover will help that area.  
I'm not sure what the right technique for fogging the steel frame with Corrosion X  or ACF50 is - The cabin seems more challenging than the wings and tail. I'm pretty sure only my wings and tail got treated last time.

This! The covers work. My plane lives in a hangar but the cover goes with me whenever I travel. Unless you are flying daily you may not notice a small leak through the windows and into the steel frame. My C also has the avionics panels up front and I’m not taking a chance on one of those leaking. The cover takes care of all of that and keeps prying eyes from looking inside. BTW...my plane is in Florida and has no corrosion issues. Always interesting to hear folks say planes here in Florida turn into a pile of rust in a short time. I’ve been in the Keys the last couple of weeks on vacation and the plane is parked outside with covers on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like my Jim Cancil PlaneCover which I ordered right after buying the plane. It is great and we miss Jim.

The fabric does not stretch but the 3 adjustable straps do have bungee components. I have seen no evidence that the cover moves or scratches my relatively new paint and windows. 

Nor does the cover I have absorb much water. If I remove it after a night of rain I put it in its bag and air it out when I get the plane back in the hangar.

My 7 year old cover is like new however I only use it 3 or 4 weeks a year.

1 hour ago, Hector said:

I’ve been in the Keys the last couple of weeks on vacation and the plane is parked outside with covers on.

Ever notice when you go to the beach you come back with sand everywhere and in parts of your body you thought not possible?  

What do you think happens when you have a bunch of sand underneath a cover that is tightly affixed but is still going to shift in the wind?

Ever notice when you go to the beach you come back with sand everywhere and in parts of your body you thought not possible?  
What do you think happens when you have a bunch of sand underneath a cover that is tightly affixed but is still going to shift in the wind?

Not exactly parked on the beach and I’ve doing this annually for more than a decade with no issues. Whenever I do come back from the keys the airplane gets a good rinse with fresh water to wash off salt deposits. It is the only time of the year that it sees a water hose. The rest of the year it gets washed and waxed regularly (especially before going to the Keys) with a spray bottle. My cover fits tightly. I make sure the straps are tight and there are no lose straps flapping in the wind. I suppose it is possible a very small amount of sand (never seen any) could get under the cover but I use the cover only during travel and I’ve not seen paint damaged as a result of the cover. Regardless, IMHO the benefits far outweigh any negatives.
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, M20F said:

This.  I had / have a Bruce’s. There was construction about a quarter mile away on the ramp.  Sand blew everywhere from it.  My windshield got beat to $hit with scratches and crazing.  Since replacing the windows and windshield, I know I don’t have leaks because I test whether I have leaks when I have the interior out.  A garden hose and pair of eyes is a powerful inspection tool.  Since then I’ve gone Au natural.  

Also microfiber towels and microfiber synthetic material no matter how soft to the touch will scratch a plastic windshield.  Flannel cotton, specific application wipes, or a bare hand are the only things that should touch a windshield.